finished first play through - fun if you go nano, but not well balanced for other classes

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

coffee fiend
Initiate

finished first play through - fun if you go nano, but not well balanced for other classes

Post by coffee fiend » June 4th, 2017, 6:53 am

I enjoyed the first play through though I thought the game was too short.
It felt a bit like wasteland2 where the first "act" felt pretty well developed but then the later acts were all too short.
Also the game is pretty linear which is a little disappointing though the story was interesting enough that it didn't matter too much.

I liked the mechanics of skill use and combat. It was interesting being able to spend stat points to improve skill chances and damage.

I'm trying a second play through but remembering what the first one was like it doesn't really seem like playing a glaive or jack would be anywhere near as fun. Too much of the game is purely based on having skills so a nano with certain options is really optimal for playing the game.
There's not enough combat in the game to really make playing a glaive all that fun.
Jacks with flex skill are a little better off but still not as good as nano. And again there isn't enough combat or stealth/thievery for a jack to really be utilized.

The fact that in most cases, but not all, you can use the skills of other party members definitely help but certain parts of the main plot don't allow you to do this. So you definitely miss out on a number of things if you aren't skill heavy.

CymTyr
Initiate

Re: finished first play through - fun if you go nano, but not well balanced for other classes

Post by CymTyr » July 29th, 2017, 8:43 pm

I played my first playthrough as a Jack. Felt a little underwhelming at the time, if I'm being honest.

Haven't had a chance to play through the game again, though I'm thinking I might in the near future. It's definitely a game that's stuck with me, and helped reshape some core philosophical principles I have in life, in a good way.
"I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter. I had to fall to lose it all, and in the end, it doesn't even matter...."

RIP Chester!

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: finished first play through - fun if you go nano, but not well balanced for other classes

Post by kilobug » July 30th, 2017, 5:14 am

I played first with a Jack, then with a Nano, and I didn't feel the balance to be too broken, sure there are things my Nano did better, and the "scan thoughts" esotery did improve the lore, but the Jack walkthrough was still fun, and there are points where my Jack could do things the Nano couldn't (but I didn't select the same Focus nor skills).

Balance isn't too important for me in a single-player game, but if anything my main complain about the balance of TTON is that the game is too easy - it would benefit from having a selectable difficulty level.

CymTyr
Initiate

Post by CymTyr » August 1st, 2017, 11:36 am

kilobug wrote:
July 30th, 2017, 5:14 am
I played first with a Jack, then with a Nano, and I didn't feel the balance to be too broken, sure there are things my Nano did better, and the "scan thoughts" esotery did improve the lore, but the Jack walkthrough was still fun, and there are points where my Jack could do things the Nano couldn't (but I didn't select the same Focus nor skills).

Balance isn't too important for me in a single-player game, but if anything my main complain about the balance of TTON is that the game is too easy - it would benefit from having a selectable difficulty level.
I actually agree with this. Maybe I was underwhelmed because of how easy the game was, other than a couple crises.
"I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter. I had to fall to lose it all, and in the end, it doesn't even matter...."

RIP Chester!

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » September 15th, 2017, 2:29 am

Not having surface-reading from the start as a jack instead of a nano really makes a difference in how my TLC approaches things, especially with characters like Erritis and Tybir. I definitely feel like I miss out on some things though as I'm focusing on speed and perception this time around. Memories are the largest casualty. That's frustrating as I haven't played the game since March and I don't remember all of the things TCG did, but that's also a relief as it's much easier to stay properly in character with such meta-game information. And having high perception this time around has already opened many things in the first ten hours I didn't see before.