Trilogy 3.21--Bard Songs, what happened?

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

waltc
Scholar

Trilogy 3.21--Bard Songs, what happened?

Post by waltc » February 27th, 2019, 9:26 am

A couple of the Bard songs looked greatly toned down in the BT2, from what they were in 2.08: notably, Spell Song used to double the damage my spell casters would do and, IIRC, cut my damage from enemy magic in half. Now, it does neither, apparently. As well, one of the "light" songs used to nullify the effect of spinners at least some of the time. Now, apparently, none of them does.

OK, I refuse to believe I am already deep in the throes of senility, so what happened?...;) I skimmed the long read.me on Steam, don't recall seeing it mentioned. Anyone know? I was a bit disappointed to see this. Being immensely overpowered is fun...!

(Mea Culpas in advance if I remembered this wrong!)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Trilogy 3.21--Bard Songs, what happened?

Post by Drool » February 27th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Some of it was rebalancing for a unified game; doubling the power of NUKE was a little much.

And I don't know anything about light songs disabling spinners. That's what Nospin was for.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » February 27th, 2019, 3:08 pm

a very brief look at the release notes for BT3 results in:

Tweaks to Spell Song so that the big AOE spells don't break the game balance.
Tweak the stacking maths for increase/reduce spell damage.
Remove trap protection from Sanctuary Score - only used for Zanduvar Carack now.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/843260 ... 5635926015

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » February 27th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Zadkiel wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 3:08 pm
a very brief look at the release notes for BT3 results in:

Tweaks to Spell Song so that the big AOE spells don't break the game balance.
Tweak the stacking maths for increase/reduce spell damage.
Remove trap protection from Sanctuary Score - only used for Zanduvar Carack now.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/843260 ... 5635926015
Thanks much guys, and thanks for the link(!)--somehow it got away from me--and the one at Steam is much more detailed than the GOG readme...It's weird, though, as I distinctly remember one of the light songs--likely in the batch of 10 spells purchased--that had text talking about neutralizing spinners--it only worked partially--not every time on every spinner, IIRC.

Being honest, it sounds a bit strange to worry over balance considering the options we're given in importing our characters!...;) Secondly, diluting these Bard songs more properly belongs in Legacy--it seemed to fit fine in 2.08--ah, well...

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 27th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Please don't dilute in Legacy. Mechanics should be as similar to the originals as reasonably possible, save for bugs and game breakers. Diluting and balancing should be relegated to the remaster mode.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » February 28th, 2019, 12:07 pm

I knew I should have stuck with my Destiny Knight playthrough back when it was current. Now I'm in the Destiny Stone dungeon with nerfed mechanics. Oh well, nobody but myself to blame really. Not like I expect it to be to preposterously tough, just frustrating to have my really expensive spells nerfed to be inadequate.

Edit: Not so much inadequate as unnecessary. I got through the Destiny Stone without fighting at all. Or rather, I got to the snare, remembered that I couldn't beat it with a full party, reloaded, Dreamspelled out of the dungeon, ditched my highest experience character, and headed back in. On the return trip I didn't fight at all. Ran from every fight, if I couldn't run fought for one round and ran. Turned out I never needed to actually win a fight. I still don't know the correct answer to one of the questions in the snare, but obviously it wasn't needed.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » March 1st, 2019, 2:38 pm

thebruce wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 6:17 pm
Please don't dilute in Legacy. Mechanics should be as similar to the originals as reasonably possible, save for bugs and game breakers. Diluting and balancing should be relegated to the remaster mode.

By "dilute" I was speaking of the 2.08 Bard's Songs. Obviously, the super-powered Spell song in 2.08 belongs in the remastered 3.21--the current greatly weakened Spell Song in 3.21 belongs in the Legacy--only because it may be closer to the original--I should think!

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » March 1st, 2019, 2:45 pm

Drool wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Some of it was rebalancing for a unified game; doubling the power of NUKE was a little much.

And I don't know anything about light songs disabling spinners. That's what Nospin was for.
Actually, a BTT developer answered a query in the Steam forum and said that yes, indeed, "Watchwood Melody still nullifies spinners on turn, but not on movement."--even though that has been completely written out of the description for Watchwood Melody, for some reason..

---MadPuppet

https://steamcommunity.com/app/843260/d ... 830074537/