Thief of Fate is Now Available

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

phimseto
Developer

Thief of Fate is Now Available

Post by phimseto » February 26th, 2019, 12:23 am

InXile Entertainment and Krome Studios are pleased to announce that Volume III - The Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate - has been released for The Bard's Tale Trilogy along with the game's promised Legacy Mode.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8432 ... e_Trilogy/
https://www.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale_trilogy

You can read detailed patch notes here:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/843260 ... 5635926015

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: Thief of Fate is Now Available

Post by kilobug » February 26th, 2019, 12:34 am

Great !

Now that the three games are out, any chance for a Linux (and Mac) version ? From what I remember it was "we'll do all the games and then we'll look at ports", so any chance of a port now ?

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 26th, 2019, 1:29 am

That's fantastic news! :)

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 26th, 2019, 9:45 am

Sheesh, it's about time!

j/k ;P This is excellent! Definitely looking forward to diving in. Once I have freaking time... lol
Actually the above statement applies more to me anyway, as my BT3 resources on BTO are sorely lacking :(
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » February 26th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Fantastic surprise...;) Had been looking for the update for the last 4-5 days on GOG--and today, 2/26--boom, here it is! Must've had some prescience this past week, is all I can figure.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 26th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Congrats to Krome for delivering an excellent remaster!
cmibl<enter>

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » February 28th, 2019, 2:00 am

So, onwards to the Mac- and Linux-ports, then! Don't let us down....

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » March 6th, 2019, 6:48 am

This looks like another great remaster! I just dipped my toes in it for the first time last night, wandering around the wilderness a bit and venturing in Skara Brae. The wilderness looks fantastic, and I like the smoke/dirt effect in Skara Brae.

The only thing I'm bummed out about is that I can't transfer my BT1 characters into BT3. I never completed BT1, and at this point, kind of lost interest in doing so, but I have built up a fairly decent party, and I'd like to bring them into BT3. The idea of starting again with a bunch of level one characters sounds like a bit of a chore at this point. (Although, if I remember BT3 correctly, leveling up in it was never quite a tedious as it was in BT1, so maybe I'll give it a shot... would still prefer to just use my existing party, though.)

dcrowson
Initiate

Post by dcrowson » March 6th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Taking your word that you can't go from BT1 to BT3, can you take the characters to BT2 and then to BT3?

Dan

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » March 7th, 2019, 6:00 am

dcrowson wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 4:32 pm
Taking your word that you can't go from BT1 to BT3, can you take the characters to BT2 and then to BT3?

Dan
I think you can only transfer characters after completing the previous game. So I believe you can transfer from BT2 to BT3 only if you complete BT2. I know I cannot transfer my characters from BT1 into BT2 until I complete BT1. I just wish there was a way to transfer freely between all three games. Oh well.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 7th, 2019, 6:26 am

Yeah I think it's important to keep in mind they are 3 separate and distinct games. May be easier to stomach the idea that we can't just move characters around freely :) But importing incomplete characters would be a nice feature anyway; seems like a minor technicality.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » March 7th, 2019, 10:27 am

thebruce wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 6:26 am
Yeah I think it's important to keep in mind they are 3 separate and distinct games. May be easier to stomach the idea that we can't just move characters around freely :) But importing incomplete characters would be a nice feature anyway; seems like a minor technicality.
When I say "freely," I just mean without the requirement of completing a previous game, just like how the "import characters" function worked in the originals, which did not require the player to have completed any previous games.
It seems like it would be a very minor adjustment to the programming. I imagine that there's currently an if/then clause in the guild (essentially, "If player defeated Mangar, then show option to transfer characters to next game.") I'm guessing it would just be a matter of removing that clause so that the option always appears. But that's just my guess.
(Of course, all this time I spent whining about it could probably have been better spent building up my level 1 characters in BT3.... :lol: )

joques
Acolyte

Post by joques » March 7th, 2019, 10:15 pm

I cannot imagine it's a technical limitation, it has to be a philosophical choice made by the devs. I just cannot fathom why. With all the quality of life changes they made, why restrict this one particular feature? It is bizarre :)

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » March 12th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Thought I would check the game today, and what do you know it's all ready to play......I dipped in using the Ateam supplied and got them killed in the dungeon of Tarjan. Before, I had a good look around and wondered if anybody had any trouble finding the healers hut. I use to trace a path in a straight line from the Scrapwood tavern....I mean I used to, but since the terrain has been well in truly implemented it's more of a chore. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just being matter of fact. The terrain certainly makes a interesting difference, and the impression that the maps isn't as big. Pity I go the party killed in the dungeon. Wonder if I can reset that. I still have the to finish the first game

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » March 13th, 2019, 7:03 am

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 10:04 pm
I still have the to finish the first game
I finally did that last night! Yeah, I know, took me long enough....
I'm now venturing into BT2 with my overpowered party from BT1, which is kind of fun. I expect the Dark Domain won't pose much challenge.
BT1's ending was anticlimactic, to say the least. And I kind of miss the way Mangar used to look on the Commodore 64 (like a typical old, bearded wizard.) He looks like a Mexican wrestler in this version. But, oh well. Great remaster, and I'm looking forward to delving into BT2 now! I'm just dreading the Snares Of Death. Maybe they're not as bad as I remember?

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » March 14th, 2019, 5:31 am

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 10:04 pm
Thought I would check the game today, and what do you know it's all ready to play......I dipped in using the Ateam supplied and got them killed in the dungeon of Tarjan. Before, I had a good look around and wondered if anybody had any trouble finding the healers hut. I use to trace a path in a straight line from the Scrapwood tavern....I mean I used to, but since the terrain has been well in truly implemented it's more of a chore. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just being matter of fact. The terrain certainly makes a interesting difference, and the impression that the maps isn't as big. Pity I go the party killed in the dungeon. Wonder if I can reset that. I still have the to finish the first game
Game resets when ever you start a new one, of course. :D