Grey Crypt - the stairs are gone....

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

john_damon
Initiate

Grey Crypt - the stairs are gone....

Post by john_damon » December 24th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Hey y'all:

So I'm retracing my steps and trying to go back and get to all the wall mouths that speak the five words needed to get the dreamspell. I went to the Grey Crypt and got the mouth, then went through the tedious snare again to get teleported back to the beginning stairs. But, when I got to the stairs that should go up to the wilderness, it is saying that the "Stairs are gone..."

I have no idea what is going on? I cannot get out of the crypt. I have literally spent hours in here trying to get out to no avail. Any one have any ideas or can help me in any way? I would greatly appreciate it.

ad1066
Scholar

Re: Grey Crypt - the stairs are gone....

Post by ad1066 » December 26th, 2018, 10:28 pm

There are two answers that the Sphinx will accept. One opens the stairs to Level 2, the other opens the exit.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » December 28th, 2018, 2:10 am

Possible bug, I've tried both words and neither one restored the entry stairs, so I had to use a Ring of Return, which fortunately worked in there.
Another weird feature: The magic mouths and other riddlers will ask their riddles every time the player makes a turn, which is annoying and confusing.

DeCasale
Initiate

Post by DeCasale » January 8th, 2019, 9:16 pm

This is no bug, stairs are gone in the real classic version (1988) too. In case of solving the Snare, the stairs will appear again ....