First sneak peek at BT3

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Zadkiel
Explorer

First sneak peek at BT3

Post by Zadkiel » November 30th, 2018, 8:41 am

sear
Developer

Re: First sneak peek at BT3

Post by sear » November 30th, 2018, 8:48 am

There's also a full announcement post on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/games/843260 ... 6993616679

:D

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 30th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Aww... Storm Demon doesn't wipe the drool from his mouth any more.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » November 30th, 2018, 7:13 pm

sear wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 8:48 am
There's also a full announcement post on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/games/843260 ... 6993616679

:D
As far as I'm concerned Krome can take as long as they want (well, within reason!). They've proven themselves to us with the quality of the first 2 games and the amazing community engagement

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » December 2nd, 2018, 1:57 am

Drool wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 2:11 pm
Aww... Storm Demon doesn't wipe the drool from his mouth any more.
It only did that in the Amiga and DOS versions though. I kind of like that it now has four eyes, but on the other hand, I never imagined it being furry.

The biker portrait is based on the Amiga version, rather than the C64 one: Everything is dark blue, as opposed to the black jacket, torn blue jeans and chromed bike of the C64'er.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » December 2nd, 2018, 11:16 pm

ZiN wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 1:57 am
The biker portrait is based on the Amiga version, rather than the C64 one: Everything is dark blue, as opposed to the black jacket, torn blue jeans and chromed bike of the C64'er.
They need to put the angle on the mirror - as it is straight, it looks more like he's holding onto the hilt of a sword rather than the throttle of a bike.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 3rd, 2018, 12:09 pm

ZiN wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 1:57 am
I think there was some mix and match, but most of the Amiga and DOS images were roundly ignored because they're awful.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » December 17th, 2018, 3:38 am

the 4 images they posted of monsters, I always thougt #2 was hairless. That it was a 'shiny' skin on it, so to speak.
It just looks wrong to me when it looks more or less like a Monsters Inc. homage :-/

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » December 18th, 2018, 5:28 pm

the BT3 art is all based on C64 apart from the bike and nomad.
The artists have also been given directives not to have to follow the color palette too closely since c64 palette was a bit limited even though the art quality was very good. Generally opinion here was that the Amiga art was not good, especially compared to the c64 art.

Animation style - we're keeping with the complex layers stuff of Bt1/Bt2... not using the 4 frame looping animation style they adopted in Amiga version.

Of course, if you grew up playing the Amiga version only, there will be some nostalgia lost there.
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » December 19th, 2018, 2:01 am

Spectralshade wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 3:38 am
the 4 images they posted of monsters, I always thougt #2 was hairless. That it was a 'shiny' skin on it, so to speak.
It just looks wrong to me when it looks more or less like a Monsters Inc. homage :-/
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of it becoming a fuzzball either. The tough, leathery skin suggested by the C64 art fits it better.

jamespodesta wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 5:28 pm
the BT3 art is all based on C64 apart from the bike and nomad.
Nomad? You mean the "Refugee Camp" graphics? The C64 biker is much more badass, with his black leather jacket and torn blue jeans, than the Amiga/Remastered one, with his blue spandex suit. Also if i remember, the C64 one had a cigarette in his mouth and would puff some smoke every now and then.

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » December 19th, 2018, 9:00 am

As someone who grew up playing the C64 versions of all three games (and spent the most time playing BT3 in particular), I'm really excited that BT3 will be based on that version. As others have said, the hairy guy isn't quite what I imagined when I played the C64 version, but with the C64 graphics being a bit primitive, I can accept that the artists had to use their own discretion with certain things to bring them up to par.

I just hope there will be a way to import characters into BT3 from the first two games, regardless of whether or not the player has completed the first two games. As of right now, I can't see any way to import characters from BT1 into BT2, and I heard that option only becomes available after defeating Mangar. I'm fine with playing BT1 to the end, but I never much cared for BT2, and would prefer to skip most of it and jump into BT3 with my party. I really do not want to start with level 1 characters again. That's the most tedious part of these games.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 19th, 2018, 11:11 am

ZiN wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 2:01 am
Nomad? You mean the "Refugee Camp" graphics?
Nomad is another Tarmitia monster that shares its image with the Biker.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » December 19th, 2018, 8:28 pm

nomad => wasteland dude
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

joques
Acolyte

Post by joques » December 22nd, 2018, 4:28 am

Yes, I'd also like to raise my hand for unlimited party transfer. In the old games, you could always, no mater what your progression, import your party to a later game. Sometimes that last dungeon is just too much for you, and though I haven't played BT2, my friend in middle school did on his Amiga, and he would spit and curse at the death snare puzzles, so I have to say I am dreading them and not at all sure I'll make it through.

But then, having to start at lvl 1 in BT3, after crafting my party and bringing it through BT1, and possibly some or most of BT2, characters that have been with me and developed and fought and died, for some new party I don't have a history with, and ALSO having to grind through effin' Unterbrae and Brilhasti just to get up to spec, that seems like such a chore I'm not sure I can do it.

There doesn't seem to be any reason for limiting party transfer from uncompleted games other than a feeling with the developers that "it's the right way to do it." Well, it's not. It's the wrong way. :)