Best party & best gear

For all discussion on the original trilogy and humorous ARPG spin-off.
gremach
Initiate

Jus curious. What are some best party builds and best gear by class to shoot for?
rakenan
Scholar

The best party is kind of a matter of taste. You really want a Bard, you need a Rogue in BT3 (not yet available in the remaster, but if you plan to transfer characters it's important), and you want as many casters as you can get. You may want an open slot in your party for special NPC's, who are sometimes required to pass puzzles and the like.

I run with a Paladin, Monk, Bard, Rogue, and 3 casters. I can drop one of the casters off at the guild if I need a special NPC.

Gear is mostly just comparing the AC or armor and the damage of weapons and seeing if it's better than what you already have. There are a few items to watch out for, though. A Bardsword will let your Bard play unlimited songs without losing his voice. Being able to sing every round in combat can be a really strong power. Lak's Lyre is an instrument that has the same effect. A Mage Staff will let your casters regenerate SP while in dungeons. A Conjurstaff cuts spell cost by 50%, which is similarly valuable. Death's Dagger and the Stoneblade will instantly kill an enemy on a successful melee hit.
-----
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.
Greggor
Initiate

I discovered so very long ago that monks were insanely powerful in the BT series. (Yes, at the end of BT3, they simply can't do enough damage to one-shot the baddies, but they pretty much cannot die! So, if you're patient, have a few spellcasters back there and ultimately, your rogue - you can grind it out.)

My personal method of winning BT3 endgame endless bard tunes stacking healing and AC buffs. Even if one of your characters to some massive shots in the round but didn't die, the healing stack from my bard restored everyone to perfect health at the close of the round.

The deathblade is nice, but since I never really worked with fighters outside of Monks - not all that necessary for me. The bardsword is absolutely necessary though.
Jesse011
Initiate

I think I have the best possible gear for my guys. Looking at my bt2 team I use:
Paladin with ag's arrows (bonus to hit), ali's carpet, diamond helmet, diamond plate, luckshield, shield ring, spectre snare, speedboats, and war gloves
Monk with breathring, elf boots, leather gloves, master key, mithril chain, and mithril helmet
Hunter with adamant plate, ag's arrows, diamond helmet, elf boots, elf cloak, huntsman gloves, luckshield, shield ring, and spectre snare
Bard diamond plate, elf boots, elf cloak, luckshield, mithril gloves, molten flute, shield ring, spectre snare, and travelhelm
Rogue adamant bracers+helmet, diamond dagger (he critically hits every time anyway, might as well get the ac bonus), dragonshield, elf boots, elf cloak, leather gloves, shield ring
Archmage adamant bracers, conjurstaff, elf boots, elf cloak, leather gloves, shield ring, wizhelm, wizwand

Paladin becomes a high hp geomancer for bt3 and is pretty much a higher ac hunter once he gets spectre snare or stoneblade/dd, monk isnt really necessary since I use the shared inventory but if you don't you'll want the storage space and you don't need to equip the ac items since they max out ac easily. From grey crypt level 2 on in bt2 and malefia in bt2 monks are pretty useless offensively although it's nice to have an unhittable character on your front line.
Ether
Scholar

The best party is kind of a matter of taste
The correct answer, but leads to a boring discussion :)
You may want an open slot in your party for special NPC's, who are sometimes required to pass puzzles and the like.
I would just leave a party member behind for those few puzzles in BT2 where that occurs.
Sadly, the whole special member/summons concept - which was ok in BT1 on the C64 - went downhill rapidly. One is far better off with an additional party member.
I discovered so very long ago that monks were insanely powerful in the BT series. (Yes, at the end of BT3, they simply can't do enough damage to one-shot the baddies, but they pretty much cannot die!
I've never had that luck in the series. They definitely get hit less, but also have fewer hit points and tend to be more vulnerable to spells.

Back to the original question, it does depend on the version. There seems to be differences even in the platforms.
In the Remaster, I would go with 2 paladins or warriors, a hunter, a bard, a rogue, and 2 magic users.
The Paladins/warriors are better fighters early on when there are no good drops. The remaster seems to have tons of Stoneblades and Death Daggers, which is a 100% insta-kill. You also get to keep the Spectre Snare through the whole series. So once equipped with those items, they're better than the monk and the hunter.
I would keep a hunter and equip him with a bow an arrow (and the Sword of Zar once acquired). The crit hit extends to the ranged weapons, so he can pick off far away enemies.
The others are self explanatory. I did find the Rogue's Trap Disarm percentage to be a good gauge on when it's time to move to the next level of the dungeon.
One day I may try to play the series using three mages. I just always had it in my head that if one fighter fell, the mage that is now suddenly in combat is going to quickly die also.

You can probably keep the same setup if playing the original version, though I don't think most of the insta-kill weapons appear until BT3. While I always had a Rogue in BT1, the smarter course is probably to wait until BT2 before creating one.
kipper
Novice

Ether wrote: January 10th, 2021, 9:12 am One day I may try to play the series using three mages. I just always had it in my head that if one fighter fell, the mage that is now suddenly in combat is going to quickly die also.
When I played the remaster (non-Legacy) I had 4 casters*, and I didn't have a problem with the first caster dying. This was often because my party could unleash so many spells that the monsters rarely got a chance to attack.

*I actually only had 3 casters in BT1 until level 5, at which point the casters had enough HP to not die immediately in melee so I dropped my second warrior for a new caster.
ZZGO
Scholar

Fwiw, my BT party - which I've run through the entire remastered series - was a callback to my BT party of old. I didn't deliberately optimize, but used a fairly standard lineup. I think it's even expressly suggested in the BT1 manual. 2 fighter types, rogue, bard, 2 (later 3) spellcasters.
For me the fighters were Pa and Wa. I personally never liked Mo. Ro sucks but I didn't realize that 35 years ago, and you need a Ba in the party to complete part 1 and (I think) you need a Ro to complete part 3 anyways. The spellcasters started out as Co/Ma, then at spell level 7 both switched to So, then Wi, the Ma/Co (before finishing BT1), and then immediately to Archmages in BT2. In BT3 the Pa became a Geomancer, the third Archmage a Chronomancer.

Raising the party is only really fun until about two-thirds into BT1. After that it's just slogging through endless repetitive combat with spells of mass destruction. The range brackets for spells introduced in the remasters improve this a bit.

As a tip for starting a new party in BT1, what I've done with great success is to actually only have four party members initially (2x fighter, rogue, bard), and forego the spellcasters on the other 3 spots (in the classic 6 characters + 1 special version, it'd be 2 fighters and the bard). This will allow the fighters to gain XP almost twice as fast, and they're not losing anything because for the first couple of levels the spellcasters are pathetic and worthless. (The bard is the most valuable spellcaster for most of the early game.)
Once the fighters up front are level 4 or 5, they have an easy time dealing with the monsters in Skara Brae and you can take your back-row spellcasters along for XP. The fighters can now protect them. By the time you're through the catacombs, the XP backlog for the spellcasters is about as much as you can get from a single combat encounter and once they switch class they'll fast-track levels and zip past the fighters in no time anyways.

Return to “The Bard's Tale Trilogy & ARPG”