BT game notes and archives

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

thebruce
Forum Moderator

BT game notes and archives

Post by thebruce » October 24th, 2018, 7:13 am

Hey y'all!

So as you know I run Bards Tale Online, and with the release of any remastered game, like just now with the Destiny Knight, the resources (maps, books, data notes, etc) regularly receive an uptick in traffic and usage.

I haven't yet added the disclaimer to resource pages - but I feel it should be noted - that being a single reference for all the games, while the vast majority of the data will be accurate, it's nonetheless a compilation of data from across multiple platforms collected from my own playthroughs and community resources over the decades, and we know there are some minor differences between game content on different platforms. So even before the Remasters released, some numbers, or map cntent, or even what look like a typos in names, might be different in any particular OS version being played.

And now that's even more apparent with the Remasters! The new releases have a new number of new updates (at least in non-Legacy mode) that aren't reflected in the classic maps, monster lists, items, spells, etc.

To update all these resources and highlight the differences between OS's, or even just with the Remastered versions, would be a daunting if not lifelong task :P.

So, this is a note and a request - if you DO happen to find an inconsistency or incorrect point of data in any of the BTO resources, please do feel free to contact me (or use the contact link in the header), and we can figure out if it's significant enough to be reflected in the primary resource, noted as a miror difference, or just shrugged off.

Just somethign to keep in mind when using the archives. I think it's neat that the remasters have some minor adjustments that make existing resources not 100% reliable - makes you in a sense have to play it as a brand new game, rather than just piggybacking off existing notes that everyone can make themselves while playing through :)

(though AFAIK, spoilers like riddle answers and puzzle solutions weren't changed at all for the Remasters, so they're still reliable for those times when you hit a wall and don't know how to proceed)

Forum!

Additionally, BTO now does have its own forum - certainly a very inactive one and one I don't expect will see much activity at all (let alone attempt to be competitive with other existing BT forums like this one, Steam's, or the Brotherhood's) - but is there to help with discussion about content (especially LORE) and whatnot.
forum.bardstaleonline.com (and it's a WIP)

LORE

As you'll note, launched with BT1 remastered was a brand new Lore section - a wiki type of resource feature intended to gather data into cohesive writeups helping to unify the multiple games. A number of topics have content, but the vast majority of topics don't
- BUT whether or not a topic has content, the requested term is searched among ALL the current game archives!

Have a question about a riddle? Ask the mouth about a key word or phrase, and while it might not "know" anything, it might find a reference on a map or an item; and a deep search of the archives could reveal a mention in some other texts...

The Mouth of Lore is a sort of "Ask me anything" oracle :)
And of course as mentioned above, there is a forum for helping to 'educate' the mouth as needed.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Re: BT game notes and archives

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » October 24th, 2018, 5:43 pm

I love your dedication to the series, thebruce. You've done a big service for the whole community.
cmibl<enter>

Kothyxaan
Novice

Post by Kothyxaan » October 25th, 2018, 2:47 am

Aye, cheers for your website, been handy over the years :)
Ring of power (in remastered non legacy) last time I checked now halves the costs of spells (round down too i think) as well as its standard power.
I wonder what other items have new/changed powers

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 25th, 2018, 6:55 am

RIng of Power - halves spell costs in both BT 1 and 2 remastered?
@thebruce0

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » October 25th, 2018, 11:51 am

I just checked in Remastered Destiny Knight, the Ring of Power does no such thing. Batchspell still costs 28 mana. Rimefang in combat still costs 20 mana.

I don't think there is any error in my methodology, I just equipped the Ring of Power to a caster at full mana and cast the Batchspell, had to pay full cost. Equipped it to a different caster at full mana, found a random encounter and cast Rimefang (the most expensive offensive spell I could think of at the moment) and had to pay full cost again.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 25th, 2018, 8:23 pm

I suspect Kothyxaan equipped it at the same time as a Conjurstaff and got confused as to which item was causing the half SP effect.

Kothyxaan
Novice

Post by Kothyxaan » October 26th, 2018, 12:08 am

Zadkiel wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 8:23 pm
I suspect Kothyxaan equipped it at the same time as a Conjurstaff and got confused as to which item was causing the half SP effect.
Nope, my casters both had mage staff's equipped. I wondered why one of my casters was using more mana than the other despite them using the same spells (MIBL ftw).
The only difference in their equipment was one had a death ring the other a ring of power. I tested the ring of power and yep half mana cost. This was pre BT2 remaster release though, haven't tested it since... Let me test now.
Ok it doesn't do it now.
They must have changed it with the BT2 release.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 29th, 2018, 9:38 am

On your map for Dargoth's Tower level 2, you have the up and down stairs reversed - where you have stairs up to level 3 is actually the stairs down to/from level 1, and vice-versa.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 29th, 2018, 11:34 am

Ah! Good catch, thanks. Fixed
@thebruce0

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » October 29th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Kothyxaan wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 12:08 am
Zadkiel wrote:
Nope, my casters both had mage staff's equipped. I wondered why one of my casters was using more mana than the other despite them using the same spells (MIBL ftw).
The only difference in their equipment was one had a death ring the other a ring of power. I tested the ring of power and yep half mana cost. This was pre BT2 remaster release though, haven't tested it since... Let me test now.
Ok it doesn't do it now.
Sounds like a remaster bug. Could be BT2 had different data for the ring of power and it overwrite our BT1 settings. I'll have a look.
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » October 29th, 2018, 8:45 pm

jamespodesta wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 8:35 pm
Kothyxaan wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 12:08 am
Zadkiel wrote:
Ok it doesn't do it now.
Sounds like a remaster bug. Could be BT2 had different data for the ring of power and it overwrite our BT1 settings. I'll have a look.
hmm. maybe it was a bt1 remaster bug that it ever reduced spell costs in the first place. I don't see anything online that says it should, and I don't remember ever intentionally making it reduce spell costs.
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

dcrowson
Initiate

Post by dcrowson » October 30th, 2018, 9:16 pm

BT2 - Tombs 1 -

3,1 - M2 - "If the spell of dreams you seek, five magic words you must speak"

16,17 - T

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 30th, 2018, 9:49 pm

The mouth at 3,1 in Tombs 1 would be a Remastered addition (thanks for noting it though)

16,17 - T, you mean a trap? I don't have one on any of my maps there and it seems inconsistent with other map sources. Maybe that's another OS variant.
@thebruce0

dcrowson
Initiate

Post by dcrowson » October 31st, 2018, 12:35 pm

Sorry, I was going X,Y. T = trap.

Tombs level 2 -
E21, N21 - The note 5 doesn't exist.
E4, N4 - T
E5, N4 - T
E16, N11 - T
E1, N12 - T
E1, N15 - T
E1, N16 - T
E0, N16 - T

These are all with the remastered.

SuperDave17
Initiate

Post by SuperDave17 » November 13th, 2018, 12:10 am

Question about the Remastered ...

When the party is subject to a whole group attack like dragon's breath or a spell, is the saving throw for the entire party still based on the saving throw of the party leader in slot 1?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » November 13th, 2018, 5:55 am

Not sure. The mechanics of the originals in regards to speedboots and party Run seemed to be mixed, but the Remastered I believe made it based on slot #1. One of the devs will need to weigh in on whether and how they coded party resistance calculations in the remasters
@thebruce0

Loswaith
Novice

Post by Loswaith » January 5th, 2019, 3:49 am

Doesn't seem to be the case with the save for BT2r, I've had many summons/bound enemies fail while the group resists and it doesn't seem to matter where in the party the creature is (though only tried slots 1, 4, 5 and 7 ).

Oldschool Roleplayer
Scholar

Post by Oldschool Roleplayer » May 20th, 2019, 1:59 pm

If it's any help, I'm gathering copious information on the original BT3, particularly the monster data. This includes their special abilities, starting distance, movement rate, spell resistances and vulnerabilities, experience points and gold.

After I work my way completely through the game and catalog all the monsters thoroughly, I may drop my 7th character, and Spell Bind at least 1 of every monster to get an idea of their HPs as well. Not sure if I'll have the wherewithal to do that, though.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 7th, 2019, 3:38 pm

That would be great, Oldschool Roleplayer. It would be interesting to compare your findings to the archives.
@thebruce0