Bard tunes

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

ironside31
Initiate

Bard tunes

Post by ironside31 » October 10th, 2018, 3:39 pm

In the Adventurers guild you hear the classic Traveller's Tune. It is a beautifully rendered piece of music. However, when we leave and ask our Bard to play it, it sounds like he/she is on a caffeine overdose. The music is played at about 1.5 times the normal speed. Is there any way the devs can slow this down so it sounds more like the main theme?

shmerl
Explorer

Re: Bard tunes

Post by shmerl » October 11th, 2018, 8:55 pm

I didn't notice the difference. Sound like a bug.

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » October 12th, 2018, 9:14 am

I kind of miss the classic bard tunes from the original release, like Camille Saint-Saëns' "Danse Macabre." I remember when I played BT back in 1985, I didn't even realize that was a classical piece, I thought it was created for the game. So when I heard an actual symphony playing it, my first thought was, "Oh wow, they're playing the Bard's Tale music!" But the music they created for the remasters is quite good, too, so no complaints.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 12th, 2018, 11:47 am

miasma wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 9:14 am
I kind of miss the classic bard tunes from the original release, like Camille Saint-Saëns' "Danse Macabre." I remember when I played BT back in 1985, I didn't even realize that was a classical piece, I thought it was created for the game. So when I heard an actual symphony playing it, my first thought was, "Oh wow, they're playing the Bard's Tale music!" But the music they created for the remasters is quite good, too, so no complaints.
That happened once... Not with BT, but with this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBPf6P332uM :lol:

As far as Bard's playing their tunes... In the game Arx Fatalis, the bard would play... and if you got him drunk, he would play out of tune, and off tempo. :lol:

I wonder if each bard in the game [PC and otherwise] couldn't have a random shift in their pitch or tempo, such that each one plays the music very slightly different; a difference seen in each tavern & location with music. ? Or perhaps that change could be affected by health & injury? Nothing extreme of course, but subtly noticeable.

redwinclass
Novice

Post by redwinclass » October 12th, 2018, 5:55 pm

I absolutely loved the Apple II tunes, but to each his own

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » October 13th, 2018, 1:40 am

miasma wrote:
I kind of miss the classic bard tunes from the original release, like Camille Saint-Saëns' "Danse Macabre." I remember when I played BT back in 1985, I didn't even realize that was a classical piece, I thought it was created for the game.
Yes, it would've been nice to include the original C64 and Apple II tunes as well. Perhaps later, they can include these with the legacy mode. They also did a good job with the songs sounding different, when played on various instruments.
miasma wrote:
But the music they created for the remasters is quite good, too, so no complaints.
Two of the songs are based on William Byrd's "The Earl of Salisbury Pavane" and "John Come Kiss Me Now".

"Lucklaran" also sounds familiar, pretty sure it's based on another renaissance piece, but I haven't managed to track it down, yet.
Gizmo wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 11:47 am
I wonder if each bard in the game [PC and otherwise] couldn't have a random shift in their pitch or tempo, such that each one plays the music very slightly different; a difference seen in each tavern & location with music. ? Or perhaps that change could be affected by health & injury? Nothing extreme of course, but subtly noticeable.
Haha, good ideas there. Drunk and injured bards could play with wrong tempo or slightly out of tune every now and then. Would've been a cool touch in BT4.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » October 16th, 2018, 9:37 am

ZiN wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 1:40 am
Two of the songs are based on William Byrd's "The Earl of Salisbury Pavane" and "John Come Kiss Me Now".
Very interesting, thanks for finding the sources!

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » October 18th, 2018, 5:07 pm

ZiN wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 1:40 am
Cool! I had no idea.

On a side note, there was a bard tune in BTCS that STILL gets stuck in my head occasionally. I forget the name of it, and I haven't heard it in ages, but it's a definite earworm. I wonder if it might also be based on a historic piece. I'd post a link to it, but I couldn't find any BTCS bard tunes on YouTube.

Edit-- I just found it:
https://bardstaleonline.com/files/!musi ... ballad.mp3

Martin784
Initiate

Post by Martin784 » January 15th, 2019, 11:23 pm

when I heard an actual symphony playing it, my first thought was, "Oh wow, they're playing the Bard's Tale music!" But the music they created for the remasters is quite good, too, so no complaints.

Magican
Initiate

Post by Magican » March 3rd, 2019, 11:16 am

I played this Game on the AMIGA version and the music is to fast! I get stressed with it instead of relaxed. Please make it possible for the music to be slower. Try listen to the Amiga version as that is in tempo really good.