BT1 Remaster: How to win the "Burger" Fight (current as of 1.09)

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

see
Novice

BT1 Remaster: How to win the "Burger" Fight (current as of 1.09)

Post by see » September 29th, 2018, 12:46 am

0) You get into the Burger Fight by saying "burger" to the priests of the Mad God

1) Your front four positions need to monks of high level. AC -33 will not even survive the first round of combat with the first four groups. AC -34 and defending will survive, as will better ACs without defending. This means you have to use monks, because AC -31 is the best that warriors with all the best gear and magical support can walk into the temple with, and you won't get another Traveler's Tune in before they die.

2) All your characters need enough levels (potentially supplemented with Lucklaran and Luckshields) to consistently avoid the breath weapons and mass-attack spells. I'm not sure of the exact cutoffs, but my 35th-level monks needed an active Lucklaran before walking in, my previous experiment with much-higher-level monks didn't.

3) You're going to need powerful mages in the back ranks to use magic to clear the enemies.

If, however, you meet these requirements, then it's just sitting back and being patient while your back ranks blast the monsters. Massed MIBLs clear foes the fastest in wave one, since it hits all four groups. In wave two, you likely want to use targeted spells to wipe out the demon lords and liches first, since MIBLs will wipe out the soul suckers and balrogs before them, at which point enemy GRSUs will keep giving you demon lords in the emptied slots to annoy you with round after round of stomping on bugs.

Vanquishing both waves of 396 foes will bring in more than 400,000 XP (bit under 200k for first wave, bit over for second) for each of seven characters.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: BT1 Remaster: How to win the "Burger" Fight (current as of 1.09)

Post by Drool » September 29th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Nice. I was wondering what the requirements for it would be. I only ever used it while messing around in testing.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » September 29th, 2018, 5:34 pm

I wonder if any conceivable experience level will give non-Monks enough health to survive the first round of combat in the front lines.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

ZZGO
Scholar

Post by ZZGO » September 29th, 2018, 11:12 pm

But once you give the priests the Mad God's name, you won't be prompted again (you can take the stairs down right away), so you can't start the Burger fight either.

shmerl
Scholar

Post by shmerl » September 29th, 2018, 11:20 pm

Yeah, it's annoying that the battle is limited, and once you pass into the catacombs, it's gone.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 30th, 2018, 9:07 am

The password prompt was being restored after Mangar's defeat, so that people could experience the Burger battle if they so chose. Is that no longer the case?
cmibl<enter>

shmerl
Scholar

Post by shmerl » September 30th, 2018, 9:44 am

I didn't get to that point yet.

Zadkiel
Scholar

Post by Zadkiel » September 30th, 2018, 11:45 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
September 30th, 2018, 9:07 am
The password prompt was being restored after Mangar's defeat, so that people could experience the Burger battle if they so chose. Is that no longer the case?
I just quickly checked on my post-mangar save and yes, the speak option is restored.

shmerl
Scholar

Post by shmerl » September 30th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Good to know, thanks!

redwinclass
Novice

Post by redwinclass » October 11th, 2018, 7:45 am

Is there another special word besides "burger"?

Edit: some guy supplied a word "jennell"

redwinclass
Novice

Post by redwinclass » November 18th, 2018, 8:55 am

I protest!!!

The burger melee fighters have gone to fight training for the upgrade to v. 2.08. The fight is noticeably harder.

Now in the second wave:
Enemies can hit/burn my monks even with lowest armor, defense, Luckshield, YMCA and ANMA.
My spellcasters CANNOT CAST ANY SPELL, buff or offensive.

Update: the second wave weirdness is an intermittent bug? Did not happen on second or third try. Happened again on fourth try. Is there a new spell or attack I don't know about?

see
Novice

Post by see » November 19th, 2018, 11:40 am

redwinclass wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 8:55 am
I protest!!!

The burger melee fighters have gone to fight training for the upgrade to v. 2.08. The fight is noticeably harder.

Now in the second wave:
Enemies can hit/burn my monks even with lowest armor, defense, Luckshield, YMCA and ANMA.
My spellcasters CANNOT CAST ANY SPELL, buff or offensive.

Update: the second wave weirdness is an intermittent bug? Did not happen on second or third try. Happened again on fourth try. Is there a new spell or attack I don't know about?
By my testing, it looks like high-level PC saves in 2.08 are no longer as reliable as they were back in 1.09.

This manifests in both of the symptoms you were seeing:

1) Damage from save failures is more likely to mount up to character deaths.
2) The chance of a Hypnotic Image cast by a lich in the second wave getting through is improved, which will strip your characters of their actions.

redwinclass
Novice

Post by redwinclass » November 19th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the information regarding Hypnotic Image. Can this be DISBelieved or otherwise counteracted? Once I fall under the spell I never get in another attack.