Classic BT1 Mangar’s Tower

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

ConjurerDragon
Initiate

Classic BT1 Mangar’s Tower

Post by ConjurerDragon » September 27th, 2018, 5:47 am

In the emulated MS-DOS version I have reached the Tower of Mangar and have the problem that all Magicusers of the party died on level 3. The remaining Paladin, Warrior and Bard can backtrack down to level 1 - but I do not see a way how they could leave the tower again as gaining entrance is done using teleporters...? So is the remaining part of the party trapped alive?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Classic BT1 Mangar’s Tower

Post by thebruce » September 27th, 2018, 7:00 am

Are you sure about that?
(spoilers ahead)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

ConjurerDragon
Initiate

Post by ConjurerDragon » September 27th, 2018, 7:42 am

thebruce wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 7:00 am
Are you sure about that?
(spoilers ahead)
I looked at that map but for a party returning from level 2 at the "in from above" marked with the fat "2" point, I see no way to the exit at 0/0 that a group of Pa/Wa/Ba+3 dead Magicusers could take.

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » September 27th, 2018, 4:56 pm

I'm pretty sure you are correct - there is no way to get from Mangar's Tower level 2 (or really anywhere after the first teleport in Mangar's Tower level 1) to the exit without spell casters. If there is, I sure haven't found it. You may just have to die to get out.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

JasonDenzel
Initiate

Post by JasonDenzel » October 9th, 2018, 7:39 pm

You can use Ali’s carpet to cast levitation, which will let you ascend/descend through portals without spellcasters.

see
Novice

Post by see » October 9th, 2018, 7:47 pm

But levitation won't let you get back to the block with the stairs down on Mangar level 1. The teleport out square is not partnered with a teleport in square.

The only ways to leave Mangar's Tower after the first teleport square are 1) APAR, 2) defeating Mangar and using the teleport to the AG on his square, 3) a TPK.