Spell points ... do they regen in the adventures guild?

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Fugazi70
Novice

Spell points ... do they regen in the adventures guild?

Post by Fugazi70 » September 26th, 2018, 7:01 pm

I’m sitting in AG but my spell points aren’t regennig

Zadkiel
Scholar

Re: Spell points ... do they regen in the adventures guild?

Post by Zadkiel » September 26th, 2018, 7:19 pm

I think you answered your own question.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 26th, 2018, 7:37 pm

In the Apple IIgs version, they did, iirc. But, they didn't on other platforms and don't in the remaster.
cmibl<enter>

Midnight Angel
Novice

Post by Midnight Angel » September 27th, 2018, 1:46 am

They did in the C64 version.
It was even mentioned in the hints.

kaypy
Acolyte

Post by kaypy » September 27th, 2018, 2:36 am

Particularly obvious when running in eg vice and able to set the emulation speed to 4000% or so for a minute instead of going to Roscoes.

But as far as the remake goes, I would say removing the mechanic was the wisest option- a game feature that relies on you not playing the game is not a good game feature.

ConjurerDragon
Initiate

Post by ConjurerDragon » September 27th, 2018, 5:52 am

kaypy wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 2:36 am
Particularly obvious when running in eg vice and able to set the emulation speed to 4000% or so for a minute instead of going to Roscoes.

But as far as the remake goes, I would say removing the mechanic was the wisest option- a game feature that relies on you not playing the game is not a good game feature.
Searching for the only safe space around in the whole town and cuddling around a warm fire does seem to be a sensible part of playing the game to regain power. R & R requires to get out of the combat line for a while and fearing to tread outside until fully prepared adds to the level of immersion in the game.

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » September 27th, 2018, 4:53 pm

ConjurerDragon wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 5:52 am
kaypy wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 2:36 am

Searching for the only safe space around in the whole town and cuddling around a warm fire does seem to be a sensible part of playing the game to regain power. R & R requires to get out of the combat line for a while and fearing to tread outside until fully prepared adds to the level of immersion in the game.
He didn't say it was unrealistic, he said it's not a good game feature. It's also a pointless feature fairly quickly, since Roscoe's becomes affordable (easily so) before you even graduate from the Sewers. By the time you can farm the Catacombs, Roscoe's is a trivial expense.

Sitting there staring at your screen while nothing happens except your MP slowly recovering is pretty much the polar opposite of compelling game play.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.