Features you wish The Bards Tale Trilogy had

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Ether
Scholar

Re: Features you wish The Bards Tale Trilogy had

Post by Ether » August 24th, 2019, 6:10 am

Milamber33 wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 8:49 pm
The class changes you propose though ARE major changes that would significantly alter the gameplay experience. Which isn't to say they would be bad necessarily, but the focus of this remaster was initially just a visual upgrade of the original games with a few of the more glaring balance issues ironed out. I think there was a fair bit of scope creep by the time they got to the third one, but what you're proposing is a radically different game.
The aspect I really see as being different is the magic aspect, namely the healer idea (which even I was a bit hesitant on, because you would need to implement a healing mechanic for those who didn’t use one), and that not all spells would be accessible if you had two magic users. I suppose maybe the summons, but again, who used them regularly once past BT1?

Just about everything else isn’t much different than adding distance combat, a seventh character, Chronomancers, monks doing 3500+ damage, harmonic gems, rogues being god killers, etc

Milamber33
Novice

Post by Milamber33 » August 24th, 2019, 8:20 am

Most of which were in the originals and they just added some of the mechanics to earlier games in the series to make the experience consistent across the three games. Don't get me wrong, the original creators did make big changes as the series progressed, and again, I think several of the things you proposed would have made for more balanced games in some ways, but again this remake was mainly intended to be a cosmetic facelift rather than a total redesign. And the class changes your suggesting would be a total redesign of every character class necessitating a total reassessment of every monster and all encounters. Not in any way a minor change.

Ether
Scholar

Post by Ether » August 24th, 2019, 11:04 am

I think we have a different opinion on what constitutes making the gameplay a radically different experience
To me, it’s turning it into grid based combat ala Gold Box, or active time ala Final Fantasy, or action overhead like Bards Tale 2004, etc
Giving fighters, most notably the monk, viability against mobs isn’t really radically changing gameplay, imo. Certainly no more so than giving Magicians a healing spell at the start of BT1, which the remaster just did
Tweaking the classes is just enhancing the “different strings of the mandolin” concept the designers have pushed from the start

Milamber33
Novice

Post by Milamber33 » August 24th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Minor tweaks, sure. You're talking about totally redefining what several of the classes are, that's not a minor tweak.

Some of the ideas, by themselves, are not bad. It always seemed a bit weird to me that thieves could disable traps on chests but not when walking around the dungeon, so I kind of like the idea of thieves disabling traps in the next square, probably so long as there's no wall or I'd say even door in between. But many of your other suggestions are too big, and would radically change the way those classes would be used.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 29th, 2019, 11:12 am

I agree, the extra dynamic to the base classes is more akin to another sequel game - much closer to the trilogy than BD, but sufficiently distinct to provide a different fundamental experience than the first 3. So, not to say the ideas in and of themselves aren't good, but they're a bit more than "features you wish the BT trilogy had". Well, maybe not you, Ether, clearly they're things you wish the original trilogy had :)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Ether
Scholar

Post by Ether » September 4th, 2019, 6:29 am

Well, one thing I’ve noticed is that there is some sort of level scaling, at least with the rogue and traps. My level 6 rogue automatically opens chests in the Wine Cellar, despite only having a disarm rating in the 50’s. He still botches the occasional one in the Sewers

While I still would like to have seen more separation and usefulness (in that some spells are currently pointless) in the magic user department, I did figure that rewriting the spell books was well beyond the scope of the remaster

Adding Quick Fix to the opening spell list plus a 7th character did make the beginning of BT1 substantially easier

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » September 6th, 2019, 10:12 am

miasma wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 6:08 am
Orpheus the Bard wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 9:14 pm
I think the interior of Harkyn's Castle, looks alittle bland considering the new look of the Winecellar (I forget the name of the pub, But I think you all know which one I'm talking about. It actually looks like a winecellar now. Yet, the entry level to Harkyn's castle is just a bland dungeon and not even a Throne when you get to it. Aside from the picture your shown when you first enter. Some more work here please.
I agree with this. When you first step into Harkyn's Castle, you're told that there are lavish tapestries adorning the walls, but what we actually see are just bland, green bricks that look exactly the same as the sewer bricks. It would be great if it looked regal.
I'm quoting myself here because I just noticed that Krome has actually gone and changed the Harkyn's Castle wall set, making it look more regal, and adding some tapestries! How cool is that? (it's a bit odd that the BT3 box art is used as a tapestry, but I get it.)
I love the fact that Krome keeps going back and improving on these remasters. Also, the new snowy display window frame looks very nice, as do the individualized guardian statues.

Ether
Scholar

Post by Ether » September 11th, 2019, 11:26 am

can’t say I’ve ever used bows....
A question along those lines, does anyone remember in the original trilogy (well , bt2 and bt3) if the hunter could score critical hits using bows and other ranged weapons?

I don’t recall them doing so; i think the only ranged weapon I ever gave my hunter was the Nightspear
They remaster does give them that ability