What's your playtime in the Remastered Trilogy?

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Parody
Initiate

Re: What's your playtime in the Remastered Trilogy?

Post by Parody » October 6th, 2018, 6:36 am

HawkSlayer wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 8:40 am
I have a GOG key not steam so I have to estimate. I believe it took me less than 20 hours.
Galaxy counts time just like Steam, if you care. (That's the only reason I know how long I'd been playing. :)

Armien
Initiate

Post by Armien » October 6th, 2018, 6:58 am

32h, but still a part of Mangar Levels 4&5 left to map. (But Mangar has been killed ;) ). I took/take my time to map every single square of a dungeon level though I roughly knew my way around from years long past.

gibble_fenwick
Initiate

Post by gibble_fenwick » October 7th, 2018, 4:27 am

Parody wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 6:36 am
HawkSlayer wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 8:40 am
I have a GOG key not steam so I have to estimate. I believe it took me less than 20 hours.
Galaxy counts time just like Steam, if you care. (That's the only reason I know how long I'd been playing. :)
I can't speak for Hawk, but I've actively avoided Galaxy.
Simply put: I prefer GOG because it's not like Steam, and using Galaxy would nullify that to some extent.

(Yes, I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to my computer.)

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » October 8th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Armien wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 6:58 am
32h, but still a part of Mangar Levels 4&5 left to map. (But Mangar has been killed ;) ). I took/take my time to map every single square of a dungeon level though I roughly knew my way around from years long past.
I have to admit, as much as I want to map every square of every level, I just can't bring myself to fully map some of the bigger darkness areas. Especially later on when it's a big block of darkness mixed with anti-magic, traps, silences, and monster encounters. And especially when it's that, only in a maze. At that point I'm just "You know what, I've found my way through this, I'm never going back."

I'm just not hardcore enough.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 9th, 2018, 8:54 am

rakenan wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 9:37 pm
I have to admit, as much as I want to map every square of every level, I just can't bring myself to fully map some of the bigger darkness areas. Especially later on when it's a big block of darkness mixed with anti-magic, traps, silences, and monster encounters. And especially when it's that, only in a maze. At that point I'm just "You know what, I've found my way through this, I'm never going back."

I'm just not hardcore enough.
haha, I think that comes from already knowing the darkness area. If you had never played before, I think you'd still want to in case you miss something important. But yeah in that case it feels more like busywork - or, the effort required doesn't outweigh the benefit (of say random encounters and possible specials). That's understandable, imo.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » October 26th, 2018, 5:57 am

It seems my 12 hour speedrun of BT1 didn't quite happen. My butt got kicked pretty badly on Mangars Tower 4 to the point that I escaped from combat with just one spell-caster alive... and they were the only one not to have Apport Arcane! Because I'd just got the master key and some good XP I didn't want to reload - and somehow managed to get all the way back to the 1st floor stairs using a LOT of phase door, a LOT of Restoration and a LOT of Magic Compass / Mage Flame.

Whether through luck or judgement I was able to escape from all random and forced encounters - even one round of combat against a tough group would have been curtains. Finally my battered caster dragged themselves onto the streets of Skara Brae with just 14SP remaining and carrying 6 dead bodies ^^

THAT is what Bard's Tale is about. Forget that I needed to spend 80,000 gold on healing - it's the journey that counts. The thrill of that escape from Mangar's Tower was brilliant.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » October 26th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Themadcow wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 5:57 am
It seems my 12 hour speedrun of BT1 didn't quite happen. My butt got kicked pretty badly on Mangars Tower 4 to the point that I escaped from combat with just one spell-caster alive... and they were the only one not to have Apport Arcane! Because I'd just got the master key and some good XP I didn't want to reload - and somehow managed to get all the way back to the 1st floor stairs using a LOT of phase door, a LOT of Restoration and a LOT of Magic Compass / Mage Flame.

Whether through luck or judgement I was able to escape from all random and forced encounters - even one round of combat against a tough group would have been curtains. Finally my battered caster dragged themselves onto the streets of Skara Brae with just 14SP remaining and carrying 6 dead bodies ^^

THAT is what Bard's Tale is about. Forget that I needed to spend 80,000 gold on healing - it's the journey that counts. The thrill of that escape from Mangar's Tower was brilliant.
Nice! That would've had my blood rushing.
cmibl<enter>

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » October 26th, 2018, 5:15 pm

70 hours now, and not feeling motivated. The many changes in design and mechanics to fix "exploits" have soured me on the game. Especially since they are mechanically altering not just how the original game played, but how the remaster played. I'll probably come back when Legacy mode goes live, assuming they actually allow me to reverse all the idiotic "fixes" they are putting in.

Is there any way to legally get a GoG standalone installer of 1.09? If I'd realize how nerf-happy they were going to be in a single player game, I'd have saved it myself, but I used Galaxy. Big mistake. Note the word LEGALLY, I don't want to pirate a game just because I'm peeved at the developer at the moment.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

Dadout_com
Initiate

Post by Dadout_com » October 29th, 2018, 4:44 pm

50 hours.

38 to complete BT1
12 in BT2 so far... completed first quest, and now in the Tombs... but i am bored now. :|

As much as it was enjoyable to play and finally complete BT1 (never completed it in the past), i think i need to make a pause and play to some NEW Games like Thronebreaker ^_^

I think that once i complete this new witcher spin-off, my desire for BT2 will come back 8-)

And i guess after BT2 i'll need another New game before BT3 :mrgreen:

And only then i'll play to BT4... not before 1st half of 2019 i guess lol

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 29th, 2018, 7:07 pm

heh that's a lot of time spent in a single gameplay style - I don't think anyone will hold it against you take a break from the trilogy for a bit ;)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » October 29th, 2018, 8:24 pm

I am now 70 hours into the game, exploring The Tombs in BT2. No idea how long it took me to kill Mangar, I know I did some exploration after he was dead to map stuff out more fully. Never did beat the burger fight.

I don't think I ever beat BT2 back in the day. I played BT1 a few times on my Commodore 64, and I distinctly remember the summer I spent almost entirely on BT3, moving my C64 down to the family room so I could play on the phone with my best friend at the time (confusing each other mightily since the Apple II version he was playing was not quite the same as my C64 version). However, I have few clear memories of BT2, mostly of mapping out the wilderness and the cities. I don't remember the dungeons at all. So I suspect I just played around the very start and then moved on to another game.

The moral of the story is that this is almost an entirely new game for me, and I'm pretty excited to play it for (mostly) the first time.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » October 30th, 2018, 6:04 am

Im at 70 hours on Steam currently. Finished BT1, in the middle of BT2, Dargoths Tower level 4, Characters at about level 65