The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Bugs or Not Bugs?

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

ZZGO
Scholar

Re: The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Bugs or Not Bugs?

Post by ZZGO » October 29th, 2018, 6:37 am

Kothyxaan wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 3:20 am
jamespodesta wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 1:18 am
kaypy wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 10:23 pm
Why can my paladin use Thieves Darts?
probably because Thieves Darts aren't implemented yet and were not supposed to be in the drop tables for BT2. They BT3 only.
Not particularly gamebreaking, but I'll fix it so they don't drop in future.
I am sure I was finding them in BT#1 (remake).
Me too.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 29th, 2018, 6:39 am

jamespodesta wrote:
probably because Thieves Darts aren't implemented yet and were not supposed to be in the drop tables for BT2. They BT3 only.
FYI I've also noticed some BT1-only items dropping in BT2. Examples would be Broom and Exorwand.

I didn't think too much of it as there seems no harm in extending the drop tables, but in light of the above I thought I'd mention it.

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » October 29th, 2018, 7:43 am

Zadkiel wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 6:39 am
jamespodesta wrote:
FYI I've also noticed some BT1-only items dropping in BT2. Examples would be Broom and Exorwand.

I didn't think too much of it as there seems no harm in extending the drop tables, but in light of the above I thought I'd mention it.
Cool. Thanks. We didn't intend to move any items into previous games except for ranged combat items like arrows/shurikens/boomerngs, though sounds like a few must have gotten added to the treasure tables. Can't see the Broom or Exorwand unbalancing the game too much.
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 29th, 2018, 7:54 am

jamespodesta wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 7:43 am
Cool. Thanks. We didn't intend to move any items into previous games except for ranged combat items like arrows/shurikens/boomerngs, though sounds like a few must have gotten added to the treasure tables. Can't see the Broom or Exorwand unbalancing the game too much.
Maybe you misunderstood, this isn't moving into previous games, this is BT1 items dropping in BT2.

It was more of a general heads up. I'm only up to Dargoth-1 so still pretty early on, no idea what other later items might have also crossed over.

jkapp76
Initiate

Post by jkapp76 » October 29th, 2018, 10:47 am

I cast cats eyes in the to see.
Then when my bard began singing Waylands watch, the game went black.

I repeated this.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 29th, 2018, 11:25 am

The following behaviours are different to how I remember from the originals

1) New Party Order - you shouldn't need to select the final party member, once you are down to the final slot it should select itself.
2) Casting Spells - if there is only 1 group of monsters you shouldn't need to select them, like it does for melee.
3) Healing spells - the party selection should only include characters who would benefit - i.e. flesh to stone should only list stoned characters, Same for Beyond Death.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 29th, 2018, 11:38 am

The monster 'Melee Men' in Dargoth Tower will sit at 20' and do nothing, not attack or advance.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 29th, 2018, 4:26 pm

in Dargoth Tower level 4, in the area with the 1-way walls that can trap you with a 'Get Out' message. If you stay in the trapped area for a while you get another message about being kicked out and then you are teleported to somewhere else on the level.

However you can 'interrupt' the 'Kicked Out' message by inputting a movement command as it appears on the screen (i.e. in the 4-tile trapped area in the south of this maze, running rapidly backwards and forwards such that when the message pops up you are pressing the next forward command) which causes it to vanish and it never re-occurs, permanently trapping you.

However this may be endemic of a deeper issue around interrupting game events - for example you can open Journal with J in the fraction of a second as a fight starts, you can similarly use J to open Journal as you step on a spinner and the map will show you pointing in the direction when you moved onto the spinner, then when you close the journal you are spun. None of these are critical problems, just other symptoms of what I think it causing the 'Kick Out' teleport to fail to trigger.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 29th, 2018, 5:52 pm

The Archmage spell 'Melee Men' (not to be confused by the creatures of the same name!) is classified in the spell list as an 'Exploration' spell. I believe it should be a Curse.

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » October 29th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Zadkiel wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 7:54 am
jamespodesta wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 7:43 am
Maybe you misunderstood, this isn't moving into previous games, this is BT1 items dropping in BT2.

It was more of a general heads up. I'm only up to Dargoth-1 so still pretty early on, no idea what other later items might have also crossed over.
ah ok. yeah, I misunderstood. Yeah, all the bt1 stuff is still in bt2. And all the bt1/bt2 stuff will drop in bt3.. just not the other way...
plus we'll probably add a few new items here and there if we see a class missing out or just a lack of variety...

All the items are marked though so we can switch them off in Legacy Mode if we want.
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 30th, 2018, 5:57 am

KSS wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 3:44 am
- Garth shop: more often than not when you scroll down with the wheel and buy an item with the mouse, the list reverts to start (which is annoying); furthermore, the "slot descriptor" gets confused (probably still linked to the page you were when buying the item): see following screenshot if I'm unclear.
I noticed that when it happens, it will list that the selected PC cannot use certain items, that are not highlighted in red.
___

BTW... Is this normal? [Five hundred and seventy minutes?]

Kothyxaan
Novice

Post by Kothyxaan » October 31st, 2018, 7:20 am

Not really sure if this is a bug, oversight or actually meant.
I had just killed Fanskar, went into the next room and got teleported. I pressed ESC to go into the option menu because I had some things to do.
I came back to find everyone dead!
I gasped in horror, thought wth?
Then I realised I had been teleported into the snare area and the timer must have still been ticking in the option menu.
Anyway, like I said this may be an intentional design option or not.
Either way fair warning to people :)

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 31st, 2018, 7:47 am

Yep, you can't pause in a snare. Warning would be good...
IIRC, if you tried to pause in the classics it wouldn't let you. Kind of an undersight if you can go to the option menu in the remasters without realizing that the timer's still ticket.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Keighn
Initiate

Post by Keighn » October 31st, 2018, 8:43 am

I kept hoping this game would work but it just freezes. What a waste of my time, $$, and mental health being frustrated on nostalgia. HOW THE FUCK!!! An ancient game so fucking muddled up with whatever fucktard interface and getting closer and closer to a gig install (over 1/2 gig atm).

Here’s my crappy laptop specs:
Windows 10. I have the latest ie and windows edge.

According to speccy
SUMMARY

OPERATING SYSTEM
Windows 10 home 64-bit

CPU
Intel core i3 4030U @ 1.90GHz. 35 •C

RAM
4.00 single-channel DDR3 @ 798MHZ (11-11-11-28)
Total memory slots 2 (1 used)
On boot 56% is used.

Motherboard
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768 60hz)
State: enabled, primary
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel

Intel HD Graphics Family (LENOVO)
GPU CLOCK 997 MHz

Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000LM034 HN-M101MBB (SATA)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAN GUX0N

Audio
Conexant SmartAudio HD
Playback device
Speakers (as above same smart audio)
Recording device
Microphone (same smart audio)

Most of the breakdowns go into manufacturer, version, model etc.

I bought this LENOVO laptop in 2014 and it had windows 8. I did the free upgrade to 10 when it came out.

Yeah, it’s the GOG version. It barely ran at v1.0 and now it’s freezer bitch shit city. Good fucking god. It’s classic bardstale and I can’t get the damn thing to run on minimal settings. What an utter piece of rubbish. Jesus H Christ!!

KSS
Initiate

Post by KSS » October 31st, 2018, 9:08 am

v2.07

- "EphesEus" typo still present in the journal map.
- When asking the Sage about Saradon, Philippi is spelled Phillipi.
- On Philippi, the message at the locked gates to the towers is "You're at the city gates" which seems wrong... Same at the entrance to Saradon's workshop.
- In Saradon's Workshop, the 1st teleporter still confuses the automap after Scry Siting the destination.
* If you visit the Temple of Narn, approach the altar and fail (I'm near the start of the game) then exit with Esc (instead of (E)xit) , when you next visit the Sage and talk to him, the game still thinks you're in the Temple of Narn (even tagging the Sage's Hut as the Temple of Narn in the journal).
Last edited by KSS on October 31st, 2018, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 31st, 2018, 9:27 am

It may be a remake of an old game but it's made using a modern graphics engine. and your machine is WAY under the minimum specs.

Mimimum processor spec

"Intel Core i5-2500K or higher if using integrated Intel GPU"

Your Intel HD GPU is exactly that, a CPU-integrated GPU. The minimum spec for using CPU-integrated GPU is a quad core, 3.7GHz processor, yours is dual core, 1.9GHz - about one quarter the processing power of the one listed as minimum for the game.

The minimum spec is listed right there on the store page. it's no-one fault but yours that you bought it despite having a CPU & GPU 1/4 of the power

kaypy
Acolyte

Post by kaypy » November 1st, 2018, 8:00 pm

The map currently hides traps and encounters on levels other than the current one. I think this is bad behavior: it is information the player already has, why hide it?

I could just take a screengrab of any level I want to safely teleport back into, but I shouldn't need to.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » November 2nd, 2018, 7:04 am

Not a bug; not a feature...
When you enter a door, and turn around to face it, the hinges are always on the left side, and the handle is always on the right. Image
*Part of its abstract charm?

Now what's curious about this (besides its impossible mechanical nature), is that while the original game (in this case BT2) did the same thing with the doors, it instead had the handles on the left and the hinges on the right. :mrgreen:

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » November 2nd, 2018, 9:05 am

Abstract charm is a good classification.
I never noticed or considered that little quirk, nice catch =P
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

kaypy
Acolyte

Post by kaypy » November 2nd, 2018, 10:00 am

Now that travelhelms work, they work too well: you can use them to escape death snares