The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Bugs or Not Bugs?

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Bugs or Not Bugs?

Post by thebruce » September 7th, 2018, 9:40 am

Depends on whether detection is imagined more like sight or metaphysical/supernatural sense. If AM is like a buffer zone, then the sense could flow around or past it, just not inside it. If detection is like line of sight and AM is like a wall, then yeah you wouldn't be able to detect past it.
I think at this point it really more head-canon about the nature of the magical detection :)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 7th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Zadkiel wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 6:45 am
I don't like the way the automap handles darkness. Yes it's consistent with the automap in BT3, but that's a 30 year old game.

Deliberately thumping into every wall to fill out the map just feels bad to play - are you telling me that 7 people stood in a 10'x10' formation and clearly holding onto each other (otherwise they would get separated in the dark) wouldn't run their hands along any adjacent wall to guide them?
And I can *hear* when I go through a door in darkness - the game plays the door sound effect when I pass through, but the door isn't marked on the map
Perhaps if they were unarmed, and chose the activity. As it is, the game accepts input, and returns an answer. Choosing to move in a certain direction, and being allowed to... or being shown that this is impossible. If the game did as you suggest, then the automap should mark illusory walls passed by in the dark.

Zadkiel
Scholar

Post by Zadkiel » September 7th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Gizmo wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 2:17 pm
If the game did as you suggest, then the automap should mark illusory walls passed by in the dark.
Eh, the game calls them secret doors, not illusionary walls, and once revealed the game represents them as a door. I always felt that I was finding and triggering a device, not just walking through an illusion.

see
Novice

Post by see » September 7th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Fippy_Darkpaw wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 9:13 pm
I'm on Mangar's Tower Level 3.

I have answered the Magic Mouth riddle to reveal the stairs up to level 4.

When I walk on the stairs nothing happens. No prompt to go up. :oops:

Map: https://bardstaleonline.com/bt1/maps/mangar_3
If you leave the level, the stairs re-disappear, and you have to talk to the magic mouth again. Maybe that's what happened to you?

see
Novice

Post by see » September 7th, 2018, 2:44 pm

rmcoen wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 8:37 am
Lastly - do Torches or Bardlight turn off in an AM zone? Does MAFL?
Light, regardless of source (item, spell, or song) survives an AM zone; it's only killed by darkness squares.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 7th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Zadkiel wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 2:36 pm
Gizmo wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 2:17 pm
If the game did as you suggest, then the automap should mark illusory walls passed by in the dark.
Eh, the game calls them secret doors, not illusionary walls, and once revealed the game represents them as a door. I always felt that I was finding and triggering a device, not just walking through an illusion.
Both illusionary walls and secret doors exist in the game and are separate things. (There are several illusionary walls in Harkyn's Castle.)
cmibl<enter>

Fippy_Darkpaw
Initiate

Post by Fippy_Darkpaw » September 8th, 2018, 11:53 am

see wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 2:43 pm
Fippy_Darkpaw wrote:

If you leave the level, the stairs re-disappear, and you have to talk to the magic mouth again. Maybe that's what happened to you?
EDIT: user error … not a bug. :lol:
Last edited by Fippy_Darkpaw on September 9th, 2018, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » September 8th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Fippy_Darkpaw wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 11:53 am
see wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 2:43 pm
Fippy_Darkpaw wrote:

Hmm. I left the dungeon and came back several times.

- stairs still visible on map but are not usable
- walking onto the Magic Mouth again does nothing, no chance to answer question again
- level 4 is protected so cannot APAR up

Seems like a potential game breaking bug. Is there a command line to ascend stairs? Or a cheat I can use? I put in 25 hours to get here... :(
you have to answer the magic mouth every time you enter the level before you can use the stairs. The map shows them because you found them there once, but they don't really appear until you answer the magic mouth again.

So the way to use them is to APAR to the mouth, answer the riddle and then APAR to the stairs and >then< use them.

see
Novice

Post by see » September 8th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Fippy_Darkpaw wrote:

- walking onto the Magic Mouth again does nothing, no chance to answer question again

Seems like a potential game breaking bug. Is there a command line to ascend stairs? Or a cheat I can use? I put in 25 hours to get here... :(
Yeah, if all that holds, it is a really bad bug. But are you really sure that you aren't getting a chance to talk to the magic mouth at 4 N 10 E on level 3 again? Because when I just went there again, I'm being prompted again.

ZZGO
Scholar

Post by ZZGO » September 9th, 2018, 1:34 am

What's weird is that some people have reported finishing the game. Wonder if they all beat the tower in one go from answering the magic mouth on lvl 3 right up to Mangar?

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » September 9th, 2018, 3:16 am

I've used the mouth and stairs more than once because I wanted to farm a bit on level 5 after I had killed mangar

dcrowson
Initiate

Post by dcrowson » September 9th, 2018, 12:22 pm

I used it more than once as well with no issues.

Dan

Fippy_Darkpaw
Initiate

Post by Fippy_Darkpaw » September 9th, 2018, 12:37 pm

see wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Fippy_Darkpaw wrote:

Yeah, if all that holds, it is a really bad bug. But are you really sure that you aren't getting a chance to talk to the magic mouth at 4 N 10 E on level 3 again? Because when I just went there again, I'm being prompted again.
OK, I was APAR-ing to the Keymaster and not the Magic Mouth. Was user error and not a bug. Edited posts to indicate that. False alarm. :shock: :? :oops:

Sludig
Initiate

Post by Sludig » September 9th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Not sure if this is a bug or I'm just missing something. I was on level 3 of the catacombs. I teleported to the anti-magic/darkness area that you have to go through to get "The Eye". The "auto-map" feature disappeared (which I understand, there is no magic, and it is supposed to be disorienting). I got "The Eye", and exited the catacombs, but the "auto-map" feature never came back. I tried every spell I could think of, I quit and reloaded, I even started an entirely new game with all new characters. The only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling and reinstalling. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

ZZGO
Scholar

Post by ZZGO » September 9th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Fippy_Darkpaw wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 12:37 pm
OK, I was APAR-ing to the Keymaster and not the Magic Mouth. Was user error and not a bug. Edited posts to indicate that. False alarm. :shock: :? :oops:
Thanks for letting us know it was a false alarm.

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » September 10th, 2018, 5:46 am

Sludig wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 5:49 pm
Not sure if this is a bug or I'm just missing something. I was on level 3 of the catacombs. I teleported to the anti-magic/darkness area that you have to go through to get "The Eye". The "auto-map" feature disappeared (which I understand, there is no magic, and it is supposed to be disorienting). I got "The Eye", and exited the catacombs, but the "auto-map" feature never came back. I tried every spell I could think of, I quit and reloaded, I even started an entirely new game with all new characters. The only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling and reinstalling. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
did you accidently hit the key to turn it off? I think it's the 'M' key?

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » September 12th, 2018, 1:16 am

anyone know if this bug is still a thing? I tested against a bunch of dragons at 90' and they always advance until they are in breathing range..

"Monsters attack with breath attack when out of range"

Hard to tell when people are reporting bugs from old updates...
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

KSS
Initiate

Post by KSS » September 12th, 2018, 4:09 am

"Monsters attack with breath attack when out of range": this one doesn't seem to be still there.

Existing bugs (v1.09):
- Monsters using breath attacks the same turn they're summoned (dragons, demons).
- The missing dot at the end of "You face..."
- When changing mage class, equipped items that become unusable are still equipped, and cannot be removed (mainly WI to other class).
- When the party is full and you cast a summoning spell/use a figurine outside combat, there's no message (in combat you get the "... fizzles because the party is full" or something like that).
- Not sure it's a bug, but my level 38 PA and MO miss most of the time when attacking monsters in Mangar's Tower; I don't remember it happened that much in the original BT1.

My wishlist:
- Possibility to instantly go back to previous character when selecting battle orders (instead of giving all orders and selecting "no").
- A "redo last orders" from one battle turn to the next.

Keighn
Initiate

Post by Keighn » September 16th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Bah! I tried v1.09 on the following

Seems the screen hangs most of the time when I start the game. I once was able to roll a character then the image froze. I could still click in the background so the game was running but it just wasn’t refreshing. I’m playing on a Lenovo laptop
OS
Windows 10 home 64-bit

CPU
Intel core i3 @!1.90GHz

RAM
4.00GB singlechannel DDR3 @797MHz

Motherboard
LENOVO G50-80 (U3E1

Graphics
Generic PNp monitor (1366x768@60Hz
Intel HD Graphics Family (Lenovo)

Audio
Conexant SmartAudio HD

I know that’s a 4-5 year old computer but it should run this. Yes, I tried a new install of v1.09 TBTT but I get this hanging. Maybe it did it on the version 1.0 and I didn’t notice. I could try it on my older laptop also a core i3 but different manufacturer. Kind of sucks.

SK_1759
Acolyte

Post by SK_1759 » September 16th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Did you disable the 'extra' video settings. I did that on my older i5 laptop with a Radeon mobile vid card that's rather low end. Works fine for me.