The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Bugs or Not Bugs?

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Spectralshade
Scholar

Re: The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Bugs or Not Bugs?

Post by Spectralshade » August 30th, 2018, 5:30 pm

rmcoen wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 2:06 pm
Posted in a another thread:
The teleport-blocking is inconsistent, I've found. some levels you can't go to, but can leave. Some you can't go to, but can teleport around on. Some you can't go to AND can't teleport around on. Some you can go to, but can't teleport around once you're there. And some are 100% protected; you can't go to them, you can't teleport on them, and you can't teleport away from them.

Is this intentional? Or are these variations carried over bugs from the original?
I asume intentional and it was so in the original too.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 30th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Yep and it's not a bug - anti-magic conceptually can block teleporting, so it's no stretch to imagine that whole levels, or even portions of levels, rooms, could be blocked from teleporting in or out. With that in mind, some areas require certain tasks or navigation to enter or exit, ain't no quick teleporting everywhichwhere! Especially in higher skilled magician towers...
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

rmcoen
Acolyte

Post by rmcoen » August 31st, 2018, 5:24 am

I'm not concerned that you can't teleport some places. Totally on board with that. I was asking about inconsistencies like being able to teleport OUT, when you can't get IN. Or being able to teleport ON the level, when blocked from getting IN. For example "Hah! You can't teleport off this level!" "oh yeah, well, I *can* teleport to the stairs, and walk down..." "Curses, foiled again!"

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 31st, 2018, 6:25 am

Cross posted from the Mangar thread - Out of level would be more like if the zone you're in prohibits magic. I don't recall being able to APAR out of ANMA zones, for instance. That means, if you can't APAR out of where you're standing to another level, you shouldn't be able to APAR to Stairs on the same level either. I'm not sure there's any map with a map-scale flag saying no teleporting out (but teleporting within is ok).

I am curious though if there is a flag that can be set per-cell or if it's just per-level that fizzles teleporting in. I recall there sometimes being locations on a map I couldn't teleport IN to, from another map or the same map. But maybe I'm misremembering.

Anyway the way I understand it - ANMA prohibits teleporting out of a cell, and both levels or cells can be set to deny teleporting in. The latter I'm not 100% on tho.
@thebruce0

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » August 31st, 2018, 6:59 am

some of the dungeon maps on the net have 3 flags for apar: In allowed, out allowed, level allowed.
I didn't bother going through all of them, but those maps were certainly listed as if it was a possiblity.

ZZGO
Scholar

Post by ZZGO » August 31st, 2018, 1:10 pm

I just accidentally deleted my Autosave - wanted to check the version number under options which happens to be where the delete button appears (with the Autosave game pre-selected) when you previously clicked on Load Game.
Bummer. :(
I have one other savegame. It's around 45k XP per character compared to 180k XP per character on the lost Autosave.

May I suggest Krome re-arrange the buttons, or better yet ask confirmation before a savegame is deleted?

SK_1759
Acolyte

Post by SK_1759 » August 31st, 2018, 4:42 pm

ZZGO wrote:
August 31st, 2018, 1:10 pm
I just accidentally deleted my Autosave - wanted to check the version number under options which happens to be where the delete button appears (with the Autosave game pre-selected) when you previously clicked on Load Game.
Bummer. :(
I have one other savegame. It's around 45k XP per character compared to 180k XP per character on the lost Autosave.

May I suggest Krome re-arrange the buttons, or better yet ask confirmation before a savegame is deleted?
The version number is up top of the page of the options. The delete button is on the bottom of the Load Game page and does not display the version. I'm confused as to how it happened.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 31st, 2018, 7:09 pm

ZZGO wrote:
August 31st, 2018, 1:10 pm
I just accidentally deleted my Autosave...
Recuva is free, and should be able to un-delete the file if it has not been overwritten yet; another tool for this is DiskGenius.

I've used both before, and they worked for me.

ZZGO
Scholar

Post by ZZGO » September 1st, 2018, 1:34 am

I can't seem to find the (deleted) file though. I've got a .dat file named for my other savegame in the remote/saves folder but cannot seem to find a deleted file anywhere in my Steam/BT directory. Can anyone tell me where exactly, and under which name, the game stores the autosave file please?

kaypy
Acolyte

Post by kaypy » September 1st, 2018, 1:45 am

I have an AutoSave.dat in with the other save files.

In my case its <user>/Appdata/LocalLow/InXile Entertainment/The Bard's Tale Trilogy\saves

Of course, *anything* you do on the HDD after deleting the file may overwrite the residue, so theres no guarantee theres anything still left there...

KSS
Initiate

Post by KSS » September 3rd, 2018, 5:02 am

v1.09

- Dot still missing at the end of the battle "You face ..." message.
- When changing mage class, equipped items that become unusable are still equipped, and cannot be removed.
- When the party is full and you cast a summoning spell/use a figurine outside combat, there's no message (in combat you get the "... fizzles because the party is full").
Last edited by KSS on September 4th, 2018, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zadkiel
Scholar

Post by Zadkiel » September 3rd, 2018, 3:29 pm

Troll staff appears to incorrectly be flagged as hunter excluded - I'm sure hunters could equip it in the originals. The +4 to hit (in remaster) on it actually makes it a very desirable hunter weapon (until you find him a spectre mace)

PtoyonJ
Initiate

Post by PtoyonJ » September 3rd, 2018, 3:57 pm

When in character profile view, active spell timers continue to tick down, but bard song timer does not.
During this time room effects (such as health drain, or magical energy recharge) do not affect the party at all while you remain in character profile view. I haven't tested to see if poison continues ticking.

As it is now it is inconsistent. Please add to the buglist?

Ultimately, I think it would be cool ( and slightly brutal, which I vote for ) to have time continue onward while in character view, particularly the possibility for a random encounter.

I've only observed and tested this behavior on Harkyn's level 1 so far.
Last edited by PtoyonJ on September 3rd, 2018, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PtoyonJ
Initiate

Post by PtoyonJ » September 3rd, 2018, 4:58 pm

Question about combat initiative:

It often seems that an entire group of enemies will get the same initiative roll, resulting in an unpleasant wasting of the least fortunate of my band.
For example, 8 dragons in a single group can mean 8 back-to-back breath attacks. It's hardly a concern for the more fortunate, but for those that aren't it's instant death almost every time. Is this by intent? Or is every individual member within a creature grouping given their own separate initiative roll? Certainly the party doesn't get initiative as a group. Every party member rolls separately regardless of having their DEX maxed out or not.

I don't know how this behavior compares to the originals. So I guess I'm asking " is it a bug ? " :-)

Happy Holiday all

Zadkiel
Scholar

Post by Zadkiel » September 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm

PtoyonJ wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 4:58 pm
It often seems that an entire group of enemies will get the same initiative roll,
This is as per the originals. your party get 7 seperate initiatives, enemies get 1 initiative per group

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » September 4th, 2018, 4:52 am

Zadkiel wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm
PtoyonJ wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 4:58 pm
It often seems that an entire group of enemies will get the same initiative roll,
This is as per the originals. your party get 7 seperate initiatives, enemies get 1 initiative per group
lots of shortcuts were done in the originals to save memory usage because of the limited amount of memory of some of the systems.

To this day, I still find it amazing how good games were produced on the c64 given the memory on that machine.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 4th, 2018, 7:35 am

I think it's mainly because there was less intricate design, and more work put in to making simple concepts more fleshed out, like developing more content than technical ability.
@thebruce0

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » September 4th, 2018, 7:52 am

I recently noticed that I'm not able to unequip Mithril Gloves. It's currently happening to two characters; both happen to be magic users, though I don't know if that makes a difference, I haven't tried with other characters yet.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

rmcoen
Acolyte

Post by rmcoen » September 4th, 2018, 9:53 am

ad1066 wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 7:52 am
I recently noticed that I'm not able to unequip Mithril Gloves. It's currently happening to two characters; both happen to be magic users, though I don't know if that makes a difference, I haven't tried with other characters yet.

-- Ben
Someone else reported that bug, as a "Class Change" issue when the new class can't use the equipment. Since I planned poorly - Wizard as third class, Conjuror/Magician as *last* class - my CO and MA are wearing Adamant Bracers or Mithril Scale armor... and they can't remove the offending equipment either. However, they seem to be able to continue *using* the equipment, so ... bug or feature? ;-)

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 4th, 2018, 4:53 pm

The not being-able-to-remove thing would be a regression against the originals.

Not being able to equip it again after changing from Wizard to one of the other mages and removing it would be in keeping with the originals, since Wizards could wear more equipment than the other mages.
cmibl<enter>