Bard's Tale Trilogy in Wine?

For all discussion on all the previous The Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980's games (The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous The Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

shmerl
Explorer

Re: Bard's Tale Trilogy in Wine?

Post by shmerl » August 25th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Is that a full log? I don't see errors that try to initialize Vulkan. Did you actually enable dxvk for that prefix?

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » August 27th, 2018, 9:00 am

Hi. We're not currently officially supporting WINE atm, but the 1.09 Steam Beta has been released and you can turn on OpenGL renderer with a commandline option:

-force-glcore

I've heard opengl can make it easier to get things working in WINE.
If it doesn't help, I'm afraid there's not much more we can help with atm.... all our resources are focused on the BT2 release atm.
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 27th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Thanks!

It might help running it with native build of Unity engine too (manual method). I'll give it a try as soon as that builds hits GOG.

Iceman1972
Initiate

Post by Iceman1972 » August 29th, 2018, 5:27 am

Like so many role playing game fans, I practically grew up with Bard's Tale.

I am a Mac user (please don't hate me), I have purchased the Bard's Tale Trilogy via GOG and I was hopeful that I could get BT-1 Remastered up and running using Wineskin.

I have scoured forums and I am completely at a loss as to how to get back in to the game I love so much.

Naturally I would love it if a Mac Version was to become available, but until then can anyone shine some light on a hazy subject?

Just how do I get things working on a Mac using Wineskin?

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 29th, 2018, 11:59 am

@Iceman1972: As was pointed out above, you need to find a build of Wine that enables Vulkan. Builds provided by WineHQ don't turn it on (strangely). Please comment in this bug about it, and ask developers to enable it: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45682

Meanwhile, either find a build that does enable it, or build Wine from source yourself. It's not very hard, I'm doing it for Linux periodically.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 29th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Alternatively, when new OpenGL enabled build will arrive on GOG, you can try using it with current WineHQ build of Wine for MacOS. If OpenGL features in the game's Unity renderer aren't above 4.1 (MacOS has crippled OpenGL limited to 4.1), it might work.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 30th, 2018, 9:23 am

I still don't see GOG update for 1.09 even with Galaxy API. It's still no there, right?

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » August 30th, 2018, 12:19 pm

shmerl wrote:
August 25th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Is that a full log? I don't see errors that try to initialize Vulkan. Did you actually enable dxvk for that prefix?
Sorry, been away for a while, hence the silence. Here's what I did - I installed the Play on Mac version of Wine, copied the d3d dlls you linked to earlier in this thread into the system32 folder and ran the game and, yep, that was the full log. I'm starting to think I might have remnants of an earlier, not properly uninstalled Wine-version on my system. This might be the problem. I'll wait for the 1.09 release and wait & see what happens...
Last edited by Sermon on August 30th, 2018, 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » August 30th, 2018, 12:30 pm

jamespodesta wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 9:00 am
Hi. We're not currently officially supporting WINE atm, but the 1.09 Steam Beta has been released and you can turn on OpenGL renderer with a commandline option:

-force-glcore

If it doesn't help, I'm afraid there's not much more we can help with atm.... all our resources are focused on the BT2 release atm.
Will you be releasing a native Mac version of the trilogy at some point down the road? That would be beyond amazing...

Iceman1972
Initiate

Post by Iceman1972 » August 30th, 2018, 3:28 pm

I agree with Sermon. I have tried for a couple of days to get things running via Wineskin on my Mac. I get a black screen with the Bards Tale Trilogy icon in the top left hand corner, then a white screen then crash.

Here is the error log:

0009:err:process:create_process 64-bit application L"C:\\GOG Games\\The Bard's Tale Trilogy\\TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe" not supported in 32-bit prefix
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: Bad EXE format for C:\GOG Games\The Bard's Tale Trilogy\TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe.

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x43a214d0 at address 0x412a073a (thread 0029), starting debugger...
0029:err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 32 48") (1115)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
winedevice.exe(15230,0xb0004000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7bccd974: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
0029:err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c000001d flags 0 addr 0x9637dd2f
wine client error:29: write: Bad file descriptor

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 30th, 2018, 3:35 pm

0009:err:process:create_process 64-bit application L"C:\\GOG Games\\The Bard's Tale Trilogy\\TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe" not supported in 32-bit prefix
The prefix you created is 32-bit. The game is 64-bit, so it can't start.

Iceman1972
Initiate

Post by Iceman1972 » August 30th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Thanks shmeri. I'm not sure how to create a 64-bit prefix in Wineskin. Any ideas?

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 30th, 2018, 8:28 pm

I'm not really familiar with Wineskin, but it looks like it creates a bundle of Wine with application. You need to figure out two things. How to make sure Wine used there is itself a 64-bit or WoW64 Wine, and the prefix it creates in the bundle is 64-bit.

I know with regular Wine, in order to create 64-bit prefix it's enough to do something like this:

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=<path_to_your_prefix> wine winecfg

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » August 31st, 2018, 12:53 am

Sermon wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 12:30 pm
Will you be releasing a native Mac version of the trilogy at some point down the road? That would be beyond amazing...
So far the only official statement I've seen on that issue is "we’ll have the team look into it after the trilogy ships" : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... t-21302179 which gives a bit of hope, but isn't a clear promise the Linux/Mac ports will be made either...

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » August 31st, 2018, 6:41 am

kilobug wrote:
August 31st, 2018, 12:53 am
So far the only official statement I've seen on that issue is "we’ll have the team look into it after the trilogy ships" : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... t-21302179 which gives a bit of hope, but isn't a clear promise the Linux/Mac ports will be made either...
Yes, I read this statement, thank you. I just thought there might be something more concrete if I ask about it on here. It's a rather disheartening situation at the moment, yet I hope they'll do a Mac version after all. I was tremendously looking forward to this remaster-trilogy since the day I backed BT4 on Kickstarter. I played the games religiously back in the day and still love them to bits. I was SO much looking forward to playing these remasters and was really disappointed when, just days before release, I found out they'd be Windows-only.

I know, Mac versions of the remasters were never promised to us, but since inXile had always been kind to Mac gamers in the past and the fact that there will be a Mac version of BT4 and the original, emulated trilogy also working on Macs, I never even thought about there NOT being a Mac version of the remastered trilogy.

At the moment disappointment runs deep, but here's still hoping for a native Mac release once they're done with the Windows-trilogy.

cparker94
Acolyte

Post by cparker94 » September 2nd, 2018, 5:08 am

As someone who is also a non-programmer, I really hope they will come out with remastered versions for the Mac!

Also, someone pointed out that the Barrow’s Deep is more like a Bard’s Tale XIV rather than a Bard’s Tale IV. If that’s the case, wouldn’t be cool to fill in the last 30 years with BT versions IV through XIII? :)

Craig from Texas

Flammon
Initiate

Post by Flammon » September 2nd, 2018, 1:17 pm

jamespodesta wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 9:00 am

-force-glcore

Once all three classics have been re-mastered, is a Linux and Mac port planned?

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » September 2nd, 2018, 3:09 pm

To all Wine users, I really recommend trying it on Linux instead of MacOS. It's way easier to make it work.

telemachuszero
Initiate

Post by telemachuszero » September 2nd, 2018, 5:26 pm

I've done a (not very thorough) test with the new Steam Play beta feature in Steam for Linux and it seems to work perfectly so far.

By default only whitelisted games are available, so check 'Enable Steam Play for all titles' in Steam Play settings, and it'll be available to run like any other game. Make sure you're running recent enough drivers.

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » September 3rd, 2018, 12:53 am

shmerl wrote:
September 2nd, 2018, 3:09 pm
To all Wine users, I really recommend trying it on Linux instead of MacOS. It's way easier to make it work.
Indeed. Personally I have yet to hear of any Mac user who was able to get it to run. Did a bit of further experimenting and I'm running on Wine 3.14 Devel, I have Vulkan and DXVK installed via Winetricks, but yet it still isn't working and unfortunately I do not have Linux at hand. It's a real shame that a Mac version wasn't released at the same time as the Windows version, but I guess the team at Krome isn't big enough to focus on developing Mac, Linux and Windows simultaneously. I just hope my interest is still fresh by the time a possible Mac version is released, which (I guess) will probably not happen before the new year.