Bard's Tale Trilogy in Wine?

For all discussion on all the previous The Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980's games (The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous The Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

shmerl
Explorer

Re: Bard's Tale Trilogy in Wine?

Post by shmerl » August 16th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Another potential option to run in on other platforms is to use Unity build hack.

The general idea is described here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Unit ... er_Ported)

I didn't try doing it yet.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 16th, 2018, 11:35 pm

OK, I tried using that manual Unity method using this version of Unity, and hit the wall with this error:

Code: Select all

Unknown renderer 2
No supported renderers found, exiting
I suppose developers didn't enable OpenGL or Vulkan rendering, so even with native Linux Unity build, it can't use existing resources :(

May be developers can make a build with OpenGL or Vulkan renderers enabled? That will allow to play the game on Linux using the Windows release without Wine.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » August 17th, 2018, 1:24 am

_Nicholas_ wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 10:44 pm
As a non-programmer, this seems really complicated. What are the steps for a Mac OS X user to install this? There's so much cross-talk here about Linux, graphics drivers, etc, that I'm a bit confused. It's too bad that inXile didn't include some sort of instructions for Mac users (not to mention call out that this was a Windows-only port on their backer website).
The issue is that BT uses DX11, which has two different back-ends in Wine : the "classical" one that converts DirectX calls to OpenGL calls, which is in recent Wine since a while, and DXVK that uses the more recent Vulkan API as a back-end, which is still somewhat experimental.

It seems (but I didn't try) that BT works better with DXVK than with the OpenGL backend, so either you need to install an experimental wine with DXVK (which can be somewhat complicated for a non-geek) or you need to wait a bit until DXVK stabilizes and makes it into a stable Wine.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 17th, 2018, 9:16 am

@phimseto: Can you direct this to developers please. May be they can make an update with OpenGL and Vulkan renderers optionally enabled in the Windows version? It would be very helpful until there will be official Linux and MacOS releases.

phimseto
Adventurer

Post by phimseto » August 17th, 2018, 1:20 pm

I've raised the issue internally here and with Krome.

_Nicholas_
Initiate

Post by _Nicholas_ » August 17th, 2018, 1:31 pm

kilobug wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 1:24 am
_Nicholas_ wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 10:44 pm
As a non-programmer, this seems really complicated. What are the steps for a Mac OS X user to install this? There's so much cross-talk here about Linux, graphics drivers, etc, that I'm a bit confused. It's too bad that inXile didn't include some sort of instructions for Mac users (not to mention call out that this was a Windows-only port on their backer website).
The issue is that BT uses DX11, which has two different back-ends in Wine : the "classical" one that converts DirectX calls to OpenGL calls, which is in recent Wine since a while, and DXVK that uses the more recent Vulkan API as a back-end, which is still somewhat experimental.

It seems (but I didn't try) that BT works better with DXVK than with the OpenGL backend, so either you need to install an experimental wine with DXVK (which can be somewhat complicated for a non-geek) or you need to wait a bit until DXVK stabilizes and makes it into a stable Wine.
Thank you for translating this into plain English. I'll look at the online walk-throughs for installing the experimental Wine with DXVK and see if I can make sense of it. (PS: if anyone has a link for that experimental Wine installation, please feel free to reply here). The only link I have is this one, which appears to be for regular Wine: https://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac.

Nicholas

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » August 18th, 2018, 10:13 am

So, if I understand all of this correctly (I'm rather a Wine-newbie and have so far only used ready-to-play Wine-wrappers for playing Win-based games), right now the Bard's Tale trilogy is NOT running under the current, 'safe' and stable 3.0.2 version of Wine on macOS?

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 18th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Sermon wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 10:13 am
So, if I understand all of this correctly (I'm rather a Wine-newbie and have so far only used ready-to-play Wine-wrappers for playing Win-based games), right now the Bard's Tale trilogy is NOT running under the current, 'safe' and stable 3.0.2 version of Wine on macOS?
Yes, Wine only enabled Vulkan support for MacOS through MoltenVK in the latest versions. In general there is no need to use "stable" Wine for gaming, always try using the latest available.

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » August 19th, 2018, 11:14 am

shmerl wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 7:20 pm
Yes, Wine only enabled Vulkan support for MacOS through MoltenVK in the latest versions. In general there is no need to use "stable" Wine for gaming, always try using the latest available.
I'm pretty sure I can manage to get the binary of Wine 3.13 or 3.14 to work, but I doubt a rookie like me can take the steps necessary to enable DXVK for Wine on macOS. Are there any step-by-step tutorials out there a newbie can understand? So far I haven't found anything..

I desperately want to play this Remaster trilogy and don't want to wait until (and IF) inXile decide to make a native port to macOS, but everything I've read so far on DXVK sounds rather complicated, plus it's all for Linux and not specifically for macOS... sorry, I'm rather (totally) uninformed and inexperienced on the whole issue, so please forgive my total cluelessness...

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 19th, 2018, 11:44 am

Sermon wrote:
January 18th, 1970, 10:18 am
I desperately want to play this Remaster trilogy and don't want to wait until (and IF) inXile decide to make a native port to macOS, but everything I've read so far on DXVK sounds rather complicated
I haven't used MacOS myself, but I suppose the logic is the same in Wine as on Linux. Did you ever use winetricks? It now supports DXVK installation. I don't know how it's installed on MacOS, but the actual script is here you can just download it, give it executable flag and use (some extra tools might be needed, see https://wiki.winehq.org/Winetricks).

Wine usage is based on prefixes. I.e. you create a prefix for your game, and it treats it as a "Windows-like" environment.

For instance, you download the game installer from GOG. Then select a location for your prefix

export WINEPREFIX=/some_prefix_path
wine setup_the_bards_tale_trilogy_1.00_(22952).exe
Follow the installation, and let it complete (Let's assume you installed it in C:\the_bards_tale_trilogy instead of default directory with spaces in it). Then run winetricks (use the same prefix).

winetricks dxvk
That should install dxvk in that prefix. Now try running the game:

cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/the_bards_tale_trilogy
wine TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 19th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Sermon wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 11:14 am
I'm pretty sure I can manage to get the binary of Wine 3.13 or 3.14 to work, but I doubt a rookie like me can take the steps necessary to enable DXVK for Wine on macOS.
If winetricks method doesn't work, here is a manual one that's doing the same thing.

1. Install the game as above.
2. Download dxvk binary release from here. You should get dxvk-0.70.tar.gz.
3. Unpack it:

tar xzf dxvk-0.70.tar.gz
4. Take all dlls from: dxvk-0.70/x64
and copy them to your prefix under drive_c/windows/system32

cp -v dxvk-0.70/x64/*.dll $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/system32/
5. Then create native dll overrides for d3d10 d3d10_1 d3d10core d3d11 dxgi

wine winecfg
It should look like:

That's all that winetricks does in essence.
Last edited by shmerl on August 19th, 2018, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » August 19th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Wow - I am speechless! Thank you SO much for all your efforts - this is HIGHLY appreciated! I shall get to work right away! You have my sincerest gratitude!

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 19th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Hopefully that helps, I don't know if actual result will be playable, we so far didn't have any successful confirmation from MacOS users. So if it works out - please comment here for others to know (or if it doesn't - describe how it failed).

MoltenVK has some limitations in comparison with proper Vulkan backend. Apple are just being nasty and refuse to support Vulkan and modern OpenGL, that's why such workarounds like MoltenVK are needed.

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » August 19th, 2018, 1:42 pm

shmerl wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 1:17 pm
Hopefully that helps, I don't know if actual result will be playable, we so far didn't have any successful confirmation from MacOS users. So if it works out - please comment here for others to know (or if it doesn't - describe how it failed).

MoltenVK has some limitations in comparison with proper Vulkan backend. Apple are just being nasty and refuse to support Vulkan and modern OpenGL, that's why such workarounds like MoltenVK are needed.
I shall keep you informed. Probably via PM, if it should get too extensive ;)

Yes, Apple can be somewhat stubborn on certain matters. It would make life a lot easier for both users AND developers, would they be more liberal in certain aspects...

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 20th, 2018, 7:55 am

If you manage to get it to work, even if it's extensive instructions, please DO post and not keep to private PM :) I'm sure many people would love to know how!
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

zambien
Initiate

Post by zambien » August 20th, 2018, 10:03 am

I have tried a few things to get this working on Mac however I keep seeing failures when running the installed. I have tried running the exe after the failures and am also seeing errors. Failed output from installer:

0033:fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x1010a enable 0: stub!
0033:fixme:explorerframe:taskbar_list_SetProgressState iface 0x1c75b00, hwnd 0x1008e, flags 0 stub!
0033:fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x1010a enable -1: stub!
0033:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
0035:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
0037:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
0037:fixme:win:DisableProcessWindowsGhosting : stub
0037:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonDestroy (0x10156): stub
0037:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonCreate (0x10156, L"Installing"): stub
0037:fixme:rstrtmgr:RmStartSession 0x50e02c, 0, 0x50e030 stub!
0037:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonCreate (0x10156, L"Installing The Bard's Tale Trilogy."): stub
0037:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x10174 c058 1 0x0
0037:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x20174 c058 1 0x0
0037:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x1017c c058 1 0x0
0037:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x2017c c058 1 0x0
0037:fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub
0037:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
0037:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
0039:fixme:icacls:main This is dummy icacls, not performing ACL manipulations
0039:fixme:icacls:main stub: "icacls" "C:\\users\\app9n69\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\..\\LocalLow\\InXile Entertainment\\The Bard's Tale Trilogy" "/grant" "Everyone:(OI)(CI)F"
0037:fixme:explorerframe:taskbar_list_SetProgressValue iface 0x16f868, hwnd 0x10156, ullCompleted 0, ullTotal 42e stub!
0037:fixme:sfc:SfcIsFileProtected (0x0, L"C:\\GOG Games\\The Bard's Tale Trilogy\\unins000.exe") stub
0037:fixme:explorerframe:taskbar_list_SetProgressState iface 0x16f868, hwnd 0x10156, flags 0 stub!
003d:fixme:icacls:main This is dummy icacls, not performing ACL manipulations
003d:fixme:icacls:main stub: "icacls" "C:\\users\\app9n69\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\..\\LocalLow\\InXile Entertainment\\The Bard's Tale Trilogy" "/grant" "Everyone:(OI)(CI)F"
0033:fixme:shell:FolderItemsImpl_Item Index type 16396 not handled.
0033:fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x1010a enable 0: stub!
0033:fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x1010a enable -1: stub!
0033:fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100f8 enable 0: stub!
0033:fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100f8 enable -1: stub!
0033:fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x30166 enable 0: stub!
0033:fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x30166 enable -1: stub!
0033:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonDestroy (0x1008e): stub
And then fail from running (maybe because installer fails near the end:

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-btt wine ~/.wine-btt/drive_c/GOG\ Games/The\ Bard\'s\ Tale\ Trilogy/TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe               ✓  6133  13:01:57 
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 3.13 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0009:err:process:create_process L"C:\\GOG Games\\The Bard's Tale Trilogy\\TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe" not supported on this installation (x86_64 binary)
wine: Bad EXE format for C:\GOG Games\The Bard's Tale Trilogy\TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe.
Any idea how to work around these errors?

Edit: If I take the extracted installed version from my PC and paste it into the wine folder I get the same error running the game so the installer seems to be completing even though it throws errors. I'm running wine-staging 3.13-2 and have copied in the tarball'd libs per earlier instructions.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 20th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Installer throws errors in the end on Linux too. They can be ignored. Did it actually install the game for you? Don't use Wine staging in general unless necessary. I had no problem installing the game using regular Wine.

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-btt wine ~/.wine-btt/drive_c/GOG\ Games/The\ Bard\'s\ Tale\ Trilogy/TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe 
This looks wrong if you are doing it from some random directory. You should start the game from the directory of the binary, otherwise you'll have problems.

0009:err:process:create_process L"C:\\GOG Games\\The Bard's Tale Trilogy\\TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe" not supported on this installation (x86_64 binary)
wine: Bad EXE format for C:\GOG Games\The Bard's Tale Trilogy\TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe.
Looks like you created 32-bit prefix instead of 64-bit one. By default recent Wine should create 64-bit one, but it if doesn't, when creating the prefix, do this:

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=<path_to_your_prefix> wine winecfg

zambien
Initiate

Post by zambien » August 20th, 2018, 2:49 pm

shmerl wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 12:07 pm
Installer throws errors in the end on Linux too. They can be ignored. Did it actually install the game for you? Don't use Wine staging in general unless necessary. I had no problem installing the game using regular Wine.

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-btt wine ~/.wine-btt/drive_c/GOG\ Games/The\ Bard\'s\ Tale\ Trilogy/TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe 
This looks wrong if you are doing it from some random directory. You should start the game from the directory of the binary, otherwise you'll have problems.

Looks like you created 32-bit prefix instead of 64-bit one. By default recent Wine should create 64-bit one, but it if doesn't, when creating the prefix, do this:

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=<path_to_your_prefix> wine winecfg
Ok, I hadn't installed wine properly... forgot to check 64 bit. I reinstalled and now can see errors regarding Vulkan when trying to start the game.

Mono config path = 'C:/GOG Games/The Bard's Tale Trilogy/TheBardsTaleTrilogy_Data/Mono/etc'
0032:fixme:winsock:set_dont_fragment IP_DONTFRAGMENT for IPv6 not supported in this platform
0032:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x10064, 0xe76a0): stub
0032:err:vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
0032:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting Vulkan.
0032:err:module:find_forwarded_export module not found for forward 'winevulkan.wine_vkGetInstanceProcAddr' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\vulkan-1.dll"
0032:err:vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
0032:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting Vulkan.
0032:err:module:find_forwarded_export module not found for forward 'winevulkan.wine_vkGetInstanceProcAddr' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\vulkan-1.dll"
wine: Call from 0x7bc5ff08 to unimplemented function vulkan-1.dll.vkGetInstanceProcAddr, aborting
I did verify that my other settings are as expected... downloaded and copied over dxvk, etc. Here are the steps I took:

# open a shell

mkdir -p ~/wineinst
cd wineinst
curl -L  -O https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/download/v0.70/dxvk-0.70.tar.gz
tar xzf dxvk-0.70.tar.gz
curl -O -L  https://dl.bintray.com/xquartz/downloads/XQuartz-2.7.11.dmg
chmod 755 XQuartz-2.7.11.dmg
open XQuartz-2.7.11.dmg # and install it
curl -O https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/pool/winehq-staging-3.13-2.pkg
open winehq-staging-3.13-2.pkg
# be sure to add the 64 bit option

# now get out of your shell and open wine staging which will open another shell

mkdir -p .wine-btt
WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-btt wine winecfg

cp -v ~/wineinst/dxvk-0.70/x64/*.dll ~/wine-btt/drive_c/windows/system32/ 

#Do this again and add the dlls you just copied over as native libs
WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-btt wine winecfg

cd ~/.wine-btt/drive_c/GOG\ Games/The\ Bard\'s\ Tale\ Trilogy
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-btt/ wine TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe

Maybe this just won't be playable for now on a Mac?

Edit: more detail

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » August 20th, 2018, 3:00 pm

vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
That's the key. When building Wine, Vulkan support should be explicitly enabled. You should open a bug on the Wine bug tracker about it. I don't recommend using staging build though. Try regular Wine and see if it's different.

https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macos ... l-3.14.pkg
Last edited by shmerl on August 20th, 2018, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zambien
Initiate

Post by zambien » August 20th, 2018, 3:04 pm

shmerl wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 3:00 pm
vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
That's the key. When building Wine, Vulkan support should be explicitly enabled. Your build of Wine didn't do it. Where did you get it from?
Wait, I thought Vulcan wasn't enabled in Mac?

I got it here:

https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html

The installer for wine-staging 3.13-2 link.

https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macos ... 3.13-2.pkg

I can rebuild it if needed. Thanks by the way for all the help!

Edit: more info
Last edited by zambien on August 20th, 2018, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.