Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

For all discussion on all the previous The Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980's games (The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous The Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Re: Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » August 15th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Actually, speaking of the castle, there a couple of things to note:
The 6 Berserkers fight on the first level left a special that only gave one robe each time it was triggered. Don't know if that got fixed or not. And, for a party of 7, it is a bit awkward.
Also, the sign outside the 396 Berserker barracks was changed to make the first floor hint more obvious.

There is also a bit of text north of the spell regeneration zone on the first floor which is a remnant from the
Olde Skuul remaster attempt.
cmibl<enter>

HawkSlayer
Acolyte

Post by HawkSlayer » August 15th, 2018, 10:33 pm

dasinc wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 7:25 pm
This is awesome! :) Loving it so far. I have forgotten what level is suitable to do the cellar...I just don't seem to have enough strength/spells to make it through...Might look that up..

If you have geared your players level 5 is a great start for the cellar because your warriors have 2 swings and your mages have group spells. If you are having a bit of trouble just staying out in town at night gives creatures that are tough for level 1 and 2 players but give more xp

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 15th, 2018, 11:08 pm

The respawning of fights like the 4x99 berserkers is something that may be set for release in the Legacy mode options. Many little changes like that were made for this remastered release.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

dasinc
Initiate

Post by dasinc » August 16th, 2018, 12:09 am

HawkSlayer wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 10:33 pm

If you have geared your players level 5 is a great start for the cellar because your warriors have 2 swings and your mages have group spells. If you are having a bit of trouble just staying out in town at night gives creatures that are tough for level 1 and 2 players but give more xp
Cool, thanks. I am going to start again, making my own party. I just gave it a go last night to see if I would keep playing....and I will :)

petersey
Initiate

Post by petersey » August 16th, 2018, 12:46 am

I'm in love with this new version of BT. Mainly the graphics, audio and the generel controls.

I'm not sure I like it being so much easier that the original. I havn't even been close to die yet - which for me was part of the exitment. But perhaps I'm just too careful, since I play the game like I used to. The superquick level-up is also not to my liking.

A question about healing. I havn't see the Quick Fix spell before?? Were the spell in BT2 or BT3 (I haven't played those)? Again I find that this spell (that always regenerates 8 hp) makes it a bit too easy to stay healthy.

But walking around in Skara Brae and looking at the towers, castle, moon and so on - it's just beautiful :-)

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » August 16th, 2018, 12:59 am

So, now that the first part of the remasters is such a resounding success, i know i am not the only one wondering.....Bards Tale 2 is most probably already in deep testing currently...when can we expect to hear about a release date? :)

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » August 16th, 2018, 1:46 am

thebruce wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 11:08 pm
The respawning of fights like the 4x99 berserkers is something that may be set for release in the Legacy mode options. Many little changes like that were made for this remastered release.
Yeah, that is a very good idea. I prefer them respawning, just like I prefer the bosses respawning, so I can SPBI them. Anyway, I guess recruited/spellbound monsters won't follow us to BT2, do they? It would be fun to run around with Mangar in Tangramayne! : )

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » August 16th, 2018, 1:54 am

Gizmo wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm
jrodman wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 6:07 am
It seemed to me like fixing the problems was one of the obvious goals of a remaster, but instead we get more bugs than before.
The story of Windows OS. :mrgreen:

What's amazing to me is the question of how an as-yet incomplete remastering of th BT series—whose entirety (all three games) fits in a 6 mb installer, could possibly warrant a 229 MB installer? (I had the same question for the Old Skuul beta builds being 32 MB executables.)

:?: :? :?:
Ummm, simply the change from an 8bit codebase to a 64bit codebase results in the code taking 8x the bits for the same set of instructions. Add on top of that all the re-drawn much higher resolution graphics, the additions of animations, new features such as the automap and everything having tooltips, mouse support, GUI menus, etc, etc and it's easy to understand.

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » August 16th, 2018, 4:26 am

there's over 600MB of 3d assets and textures and 200MB of 2d HD portraits...

they compress down a lot when converted to game data though.
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » August 16th, 2018, 6:24 am

Lanatir wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 9:47 pm
I am absolutely in love with and blown away by the remaster as it stands now. One MAJOR gripe that i have (do we need to set spoilers here? Anyone that hasnt played yet?). The 396 Barbarians, just a one time encounter? Sorry, no way. Cant keep it this way. I guess Krome people are worried that people will grind their butts on them once they are done with 'chapter 1' and end up with level 99 characters in 'chapter 2', but the 396 barbarians can NOT be a one time encounter.
Haven't gotten there myself yet, but it was my favourite farming spot in the old amiga game.

Of course, my old save on the amiga got bugged too, so I ended up with one of my characters being bugged.
I had a bard that used warriors progression for number of swings when attacking in my old amiga party.
When creating new bards, they didn't get this ability, only the bard that was in my party when I pulled out the floppy accidently while saving (I was in a hurry that day) got it. What was really fun, was that when I imported the bard to bards tale 2, he kept his ability, and trying to create a new bard in BT2 didn't give them this ability either. So after that I always played with the same bard, cause he was pretty usefull in combat :D

So far I am liking the remasters alot, and it feels like the changes I've encountered so far only did good for the game (although I am a bit sad if the 99 berserker thing is correct :( )

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » August 16th, 2018, 6:28 am

I started playing it last night, and I have to say, it's quite a bit better than the old C64 version, and not just in terms of graphics and sounds. The gameplay itself is more fun because it's not as unfairly difficult. I remember playing the C64 version with a brand new party, and having half my characters get killed before even making it off Main Street. To me, that's just bad game design, not a fun challenge. With the remaster, I still need to be careful with a bunch of level 1 newbies, but it's more fun and less frustrating.

What IS frustrating (but entirely my own fault) is that I accidentally dropped the Fire Horn before leaving the Guild, and now it seems to be permanently gone... arghh!!! I meant to merely unequip it from the A Team so that I could equip it to one of my newly created characters, but I clicked "Drop". I'm debating whether or not to start over, seeing as how I haven't really made much progress yet anyway (everyone is still level 1.)

Oh, and I really like that the designers remembered to make Skara Brae snowy. It always seemed odd to me in the originals that the entire premise of the game was that the land was surrounded by eternal winter, and yet the town showed no hints of snow (I know graphic abilities were limited back then, but I felt they should have at least made the ground white.) Sinister Street has a really cool snow effect now, too.

Sadly, I don't think my PC will be powerful enough to play BT4, so revisiting the original three games will have to suffice.

ZZGO
Scholar

Post by ZZGO » August 16th, 2018, 8:30 am

I haven't tried this yet, but I suspect that you can save the characters old style and then Start a new Game with them to reset statues, riddles and encounters.

Also, since everybody is always citing the 4 x 99 Berserkers - yes I also used them to grind levels, but the original kinda sorta expected you to don the green robes from level 1 and skip this big fight.

SK_1759
Acolyte

Post by SK_1759 » August 16th, 2018, 8:51 am

HawkSlayer wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 10:33 pm
dasinc wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 7:25 pm
This is awesome! :) Loving it so far. I have forgotten what level is suitable to do the cellar...I just don't seem to have enough strength/spells to make it through...Might look that up..

My characters have just reached level 5 and I'm on sewers level 1. I explore a bit and then come back up when my spell points get low. I heal the party then adventure some more.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » August 16th, 2018, 1:55 pm

miasma wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 6:28 am
I started playing it last night, and I have to say, it's quite a bit better than the old C64 version, and not just in terms of graphics and sounds. The gameplay itself is more fun because it's not as unfairly difficult. I remember playing the C64 version with a brand new party, and having half my characters get killed before even making it off Main Street. To me, that's just bad game design, not a fun challenge. With the remaster, I still need to be careful with a bunch of level 1 newbies, but it's more fun and less frustrating.

What IS frustrating (but entirely my own fault) is that I accidentally dropped the Fire Horn before leaving the Guild, and now it seems to be permanently gone... arghh!!! I meant to merely unequip it from the A Team so that I could equip it to one of my newly created characters, but I clicked "Drop". I'm debating whether or not to start over, seeing as how I haven't really made much progress yet anyway (everyone is still level 1.)

Oh, and I really like that the designers remembered to make Skara Brae snowy. It always seemed odd to me in the originals that the entire premise of the game was that the land was surrounded by eternal winter, and yet the town showed no hints of snow (I know graphic abilities were limited back then, but I felt they should have at least made the ground white.) Sinister Street has a really cool snow effect now, too.

Sadly, I don't think my PC will be powerful enough to play BT4, so revisiting the original three games will have to suffice.
Agreed on all points--you can create your custom team in the AG, bring one member at a time from the A team into your team--then simply unequip all the items you want to give to your player--then get rid of the first A-Team member and then Add the next one--rinse and repeat until you have relieved the A-Team of all its stuff. When items are unequipped they all pool so that any party member can equip them--if it's possible for his class, etc.

I preferred the Amiga version, but that was no different in that regard. It was a tough game to get started in--not so tough now, I tend to think. But you know what--I'll say it's also true that we're all much better at computer gaming now than we were then...;) I think that has a lot to do with it, too, possibly. We have all become, uh, more skilled, and so on...;)

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » August 16th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Lots of love for the remasters on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/843260/d ... 552450707/

You've done well, Krome. Lots of happy old school fans, here and elsewhere.
cmibl<enter>

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » August 16th, 2018, 11:04 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 5:24 pm
Lots of love for the remasters on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/843260/d ... 552450707/

You've done well, Krome. Lots of happy old school fans, here and elsewhere.
Yup, Very Postitive isn't easy. Well deserved peeps, especially if you sort out a few of the small issues and Legacy mode quickly.

Given the positive reception, it might be good to push a few more critics reviews so that it flags a score on Metacritic too. There are quite a few classic RPG sites that are Metacritic linked.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

barsiem
Initiate

Post by barsiem » August 16th, 2018, 11:12 pm

All bar two of the user reviews are positive as well. One of the negatives is because you can’t grind the 99x berserkers spot anymore

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8432 ... e_Trilogy/

Personally I think Krome have got it pretty much spot on. Kudos to them and Inxile

joques
Acolyte

Post by joques » August 17th, 2018, 12:19 am

thebruce wrote:
This is very odd. Every other fixed encounter (except the statues about town) respawns. Why not the berserker fight?

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » August 17th, 2018, 1:08 am

joques wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 12:19 am
thebruce wrote:
This is very odd. Every other fixed encounter (except the statues about town) respawns. Why not the berserker fight?
I can only guess, but i am assuming this is due to the fact that the devs are a bit worried that once people finish BT1 they will jump and grind those 396 little xp givers again and again until BT2 releases, going in there with a party that is utterly too powerful to give any enjoyment to the player

petersey
Initiate

Post by petersey » August 17th, 2018, 1:19 am

Played a couple hours more last night, and I'm now clearly of the opinion that the game has become too easy.

You level up too fast, and the characters hp makes it no problem at all to survive. I'm at sewer level 1, and ready to go to level 2, even though I haven't spent a night in Skara Brae, and havn't been to every corner of the Celler and Sewer L1.

I love the feel of the game, but I think I have to deliberately make it harder for myself. So I will drop a character (7 to 6) and replace a hp 60, Level 5 fighter with a wolf (or some other random NPC), and not go with 3 spellcasters, just to get the thrill of a possible death of a character back in the game.

I surely can't be the only one that thinks it is too easy now? (instead for too easy, one could argue that it plays too fast instead - but the point is almost the same).