Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

joekucera2002
Acolyte

Re: Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

Post by joekucera2002 » August 15th, 2018, 10:57 am

How do you identify items with the Rogue? It seems that all I can do is equip/use items.

sirtechfan
Novice

Post by sirtechfan » August 15th, 2018, 11:37 am

JasonJoel wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 9:12 am
I'm almost done with the catacombs. No game breaking bugs so far.

As mentioned, though, there are some quirks... Spinners don't work the way I remember... I can't remember for sure though, should you still get spun if you're levitating? I don't.
Yes, you could still spin while levitating. You needed to equip the No Spin ring to negate the spinners. Levitating kept you from falling through traps and allowed you to travel up/down portals.

JasonJoel
Novice

Post by JasonJoel » August 15th, 2018, 12:15 pm

sirtechfan wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 11:37 am
JasonJoel wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 9:12 am
I'm almost done with the catacombs. No game breaking bugs so far.

As mentioned, though, there are some quirks... Spinners don't work the way I remember... I can't remember for sure though, should you still get spun if you're levitating? I don't.
Yes, you could still spin while levitating. You needed to equip the No Spin ring to negate the spinners. Levitating kept you from falling through traps and allowed you to travel up/down portals.
That's what I thought. Guess that is a bug then, unless it was an intentional change in the remasters.

Dcdoc45
Novice

Post by Dcdoc45 » August 15th, 2018, 1:05 pm

I think in BT3 you do avoid the spinners while levitating, I didn't play the 1-2 enough to get that far.
They may have changed it in the earlier games to make them more similar

Lord Azlan
Initiate

Post by Lord Azlan » August 15th, 2018, 1:29 pm

I played Bards Tale in 1985 when I was still at school.

It has always been my favourite RPG with Ultima IV.

I loved the old Bards Tales boxes. I love the games. I love that InXile did this and I love these remastered games.

Thank you, thank you.

THANK YOU.

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » August 15th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Am I just remembering incorrectly, or did Krome change the character classes of Markus and El Cid? In the originals, I could have sworn El Cid was the bard, and Markus was the warrior, but in the Krome version, it's the other way around. Not that it matters.

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » August 15th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 2:41 am
Krome have made the game that much easier, which is a good thing. No complaints there. I recall from my very first play through that I had got as far as the Wine cellar in one of the pubs. Sinister Inn on the lower eastern side of the map, but never remembered fighting past the Samurai Statue to get to that Inn. Not that it's too tough a battle Not that I'm accusing Krome of changing the game too much, I just don't remember that part.
I'm not sure if it was on all versions, but the Samurai statue was definitely on the C64 version, and it is shown on the map of Skara Brae that came with the C64 version.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 15th, 2018, 1:50 pm

miasma wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 1:34 pm
Am I just remembering incorrectly, or did Krome change the character classes of Markus and El Cid? In the originals, I could have sworn El Cid was the bard, and Markus was the warrior, but in the Krome version, it's the other way around. Not that it matters.
There are differences in the A Team roster between platforms. Just hammering out all the differences now :) So it depends on what platform you're used to playing.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm

jrodman wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 6:07 am
It seemed to me like fixing the problems was one of the obvious goals of a remaster, but instead we get more bugs than before.
The story of Windows OS. :mrgreen:

What's amazing to me is the question of how an as-yet incomplete remastering of th BT series—whose entirety (all three games) fits in a 6 mb installer, could possibly warrant a 229 MB installer? (I had the same question for the Old Skuul beta builds being 32 MB executables.)

:?: :? :?:
Last edited by Gizmo on August 15th, 2018, 8:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

dasinc
Initiate

Post by dasinc » August 15th, 2018, 7:25 pm

This is awesome! :) Loving it so far. I have forgotten what level is suitable to do the cellar...I just don't seem to have enough strength/spells to make it through...Might look that up..

The improvements are very good. Tooltips!! The party inventory is awesome, really well done. Love the compare of new items with what is currently equipped.

I would have liked a couple of extra tweaks to make it a bit more up to date/fun?:
* The ability to see the hit points of the mobs attacking you.
* Maybe colour coded text to show hits to mobs vs hits to you. Just easier to quickly spot the damage given/received.

Shows that a fun/good game doesn't need amazing 3d free roaming realistic graphics....it just needs to be fun with good mechanics.

After playing this I realise I don't like the bard's tale iv fighting style...it is too slow and cumbersome. It needs to be quicker!
Last edited by dasinc on August 15th, 2018, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » August 15th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Btw, don't know if anyone has noticed, but the monsters that have colors in their names reflect (or should reflect) those actual colors in their portraits. E.g., Jade Monks have robes that are closer to jade than to purple. That is another difference from the originals.
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 15th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Gizmo wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm
What's amazing to me is the question of how an as-yet incomplete remastering of th BT series—whose entirety (all three games) fits in a 6 mb installer, could possibly warrant a 229 MB installer?
Because they aren't coded in Assembly any more?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 15th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Drool wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 7:55 pm
Gizmo wrote:
What's amazing to me is the question of how an as-yet incomplete remastering of th BT series—whose entirety (all three games) fits in a 6 mb installer, could possibly warrant a 229 MB installer?
That's no reason.

I was perhaps expecting that they used Gamemaker or other engine for the task—with a minimum core install; and/or that the GOG installer added 40MB or some such.

___ Speaking of Assembly Language______________
** I would like to show everyone here something—especially other developers. :twisted:
https://www.grc.com/smgassembly.htm >> scroll down to: "The new ASPI_ME Title Page App:",
and read the description of the download. Run the (almost) 14 kb application, and be gob-smacked.

Here is another application that is 177 kb; though of course it relies upon Direct X. This 177 kb executable generates the video (and sound) seen here (in whatever resolution you like—potentially outputting gigabytes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxfmxi-boyo

I've run it myself, this is no trick or joke.
Last edited by Gizmo on August 15th, 2018, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 15th, 2018, 8:16 pm

Gizmo wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 8:11 pm
That's no reason.
You... you do realize that it was rebuilt in a new engine, right? That's why you don't have to use an emulator to play it any more? Or did you honestly expect it to run within 38911 bytes of memory? Also, I have games on my cell phone with bigger footprints.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 15th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Yes I did realize it; see the above edit. That's still absurdly huge. There are plenty of games—even First Person Shooters that are not that big of an install. —This wasn't a complaint, it was being genuinely perplexed (at the bloat?), and hoping for an informed answer.
Drool wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 8:16 pm
Also, I have games on my cell phone with bigger footprints.
This is the same game; do you really think that it requires a 3800%** size increase to display it on a modern Desktop OS? (...or to display it on a phone?)

**...And that's just the compressed installer, the full install is half a GIG! :shock:

SK_1759
Acolyte

Post by SK_1759 » August 15th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Gizmo wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 8:21 pm
Yes I did realize it; see the above edit. That's still absurdly huge. There are plenty of games—even First Person Shooters that are not that big of an install. —This wasn't a complaint, it was being genuinely perplexed (at the bloat?), and hoping for an informed answer.
Drool wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 8:16 pm
Also, I have games on my cell phone with bigger footprints.
This is the same game; do you really think that it requires a 3800%** size increase to display it on a modern Desktop OS? (...or to display it on a phone?)

**...And that's just the compressed installer, the full install is half a GIG! :shock:
Also every monster is redone graphically. New Skara Brae graphics. It's not the code that takes up the space, it's all the new graphics. So unless it's 1995, I don't know why 533MB is such an issue.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 15th, 2018, 9:18 pm

SK_1759 wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 9:09 pm
Also every monster is redone graphically. New Skara Brae graphics. It's not the code that takes up the space, it's all the new graphics. So unless it's 1995, I don't know why 533MB is such an issue.
Bloat is always an issue—if it's unnecessarily present.

I am playing the game right now, and it IS very nicely done. I did guffaw at the modesty for the stone men—with the strategic moss. :lol:

But I don't see why the graphics —that I have so far seen... should be the cause—unless nothing is compressed(?), and/or the images are all 32-bit color for what could easily be stored as 8-bit imagery? Are all the animations stored as full frames? (instead of just the changes?)
Even with all the sounds present, I still can't imagine that it takes up half a gigabyte.

It looks like Unity was used; that means that the monster animations could have been UV mapped 2d models... and be of comparable quality; and very easy to animate.

IE. Something a bit like this:
Last edited by Gizmo on August 15th, 2018, 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » August 15th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Gizmo wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 8:11 pm

That's no reason.

I was perhaps expecting that they used Gamemaker or other engine for the task—with a minimum core install; and/or that the GOG installer added 40MB or some such.

___ Speaking of Assembly Language______________
** I would like to show everyone here something—especially other developers. :twisted:
https://www.grc.com/smgassembly.htm >> scroll down to: "The new ASPI_ME Title Page App:",
and read the description of the download. Run the (almost) 14 kb application, and be gob-smacked.

Here is another application that is 177 kb; though of course it relies upon Direct X. This 177 kb executable generates the video (and sound) seen here (in whatever resolution you like—potentially outputting gigabytes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxfmxi-boyo

I've run it myself, this is no trick or joke.
Have a look at the 1K and 4K Intro entries at Assembly 2018 ...
e.g.
1K Intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmZPr05H5eI
4K Intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5f6jefpjE0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 15th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Drool wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 7:55 pm
Gizmo wrote:
It's not about assembly, it's about economy of data. Something to see: http://www.torfrick.com/info/lab.html

@PsychickMonk Those are impressive examples. 8-)

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » August 15th, 2018, 9:47 pm

I am absolutely in love with and blown away by the remaster as it stands now. One MAJOR gripe that i have (do we need to set spoilers here? Anyone that hasnt played yet?). The 396 Barbarians, just a one time encounter? Sorry, no way. Cant keep it this way. I guess Krome people are worried that people will grind their butts on them once they are done with 'chapter 1' and end up with level 99 characters in 'chapter 2', but the 396 barbarians can NOT be a one time encounter.