Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

Post by thebruce » September 18th, 2018, 1:37 pm

miasma, you may be getting the better experience if you're still in the sewers :) explore, enjoy, take your time, take it in! Sometimes not binging a game to the very end ultimately provides a much better, more memorable experience. Don't race :)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

rmcoen
Acolyte

Post by rmcoen » September 19th, 2018, 4:15 am

miasma wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 1:29 pm
How are so many of you already in Mangar's Tower? The game wasn't released THAT long ago! You people play very quickly. I bought the game in the first week it came out, and I have about 8 hours invested in it. Still working my way through the sewers.

As great as this is as a remake, it also helps me appreciate how far gaming has come since the 1980s. Some elements of BT are so repetitive and tedious, and I can't even imagine how I ever found it remotely enjoyable without the ability to save anywhere. But, times were different back then.
"Ironman" used to be the default. "Grinding" - spending time in an area to strengthen up - was just good strategy. Generally because you tried to go farther, and got smacked down. Heck, Wizardry actually had a mechanic for going back into the dungeon with an understrength party to look for the corpse of your previous failure! :-)

miasma
Novice

Post by miasma » September 19th, 2018, 6:26 am

rmcoen wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 4:15 am
miasma wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 1:29 pm
How are so many of you already in Mangar's Tower? The game wasn't released THAT long ago! You people play very quickly. I bought the game in the first week it came out, and I have about 8 hours invested in it. Still working my way through the sewers.

As great as this is as a remake, it also helps me appreciate how far gaming has come since the 1980s. Some elements of BT are so repetitive and tedious, and I can't even imagine how I ever found it remotely enjoyable without the ability to save anywhere. But, times were different back then.
"Ironman" used to be the default. "Grinding" - spending time in an area to strengthen up - was just good strategy. Generally because you tried to go farther, and got smacked down. Heck, Wizardry actually had a mechanic for going back into the dungeon with an understrength party to look for the corpse of your previous failure! :-)
Yeah, I remember that's how RPGs used to be, but wow, it gets tedious after a while! I think the first time I noticed a shift away from the "grinding" gameplay was when I played "Dragon Wars." In that game, it felt like I was always making some progress and discovering something new, as opposed to just revisiting the same area ad nauseum, trying to strengthen my characters. I'm really glad Krome lowered the experience points required to advance levels in this remaster.

Nexus
Acolyte

Post by Nexus » October 11th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Well, these are starting to get done so I decided to give the remasters a spin...

You've done well Krome, I very much appreciate the work. I LOVE the modern convenience adds and I'm only now breaching level 3 sewers with a LvL9 crew.

Dont worry inxile, I'll get to BT4, but I still need to finish Pillars1 for when when PoE2 comes out (oh crap!) then start torment :P
But I dont have any worries considering how much I enjoyed putting 500+ hours into wasteland2....