Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

lefty1117
Acolyte

Re: Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

Post by lefty1117 » July 16th, 2018, 11:59 am

One thing is for sure - BT4 is in beta now so it's not going to significantly change. If you do not like what you're seeing in beta, you should probably try and get your money back. Speak with your wallet. In the end that will be the best lever to pull when it comes to influencing direction.

The other lesson learned is, when it comes to pledging kickstarters it probably makes sense to get as much detail on the actual workings and design concepts, if just the idea of having a new game in the series isn't enough for you. Some people may have learned with this pledge that it isn't. That's as much as lesson to the developers, too - to avoid confusion and disappointment you really have to be clearer about what the design intentions are. Yes, the beta looks to deliver everything promised in the kickstarter, but clearly there are a number of people who were disappointed in the direction the game took. To be fair, there were a number of updates that talked about the Hearthstone inspiration for the gameplay, but that probably wasn't enough for people to understand they'd only have 3 abilities to choose from, for example, or that there wouldn't be a spell book.

My own personal view is that I'm happy there's another game in the series. I understand why the lore was changed and refined (let's be honest with ourselves, this was not a deep world-building that occurred 30 years ago). I do have some things I would have liked to be handled differently, but when I look at what's in the beta vs what's in the kickstarter, it delivers. I think that's where the ultimate lesson lies for all sides.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » July 16th, 2018, 4:27 pm

ZZGO wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 4:00 am
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 10:36 am
When I backed the game, I recognized that it needed work from the initial pitch as well. However, I also assumed that we, as fans, would have an input channel into the development of the game as it progressed. There was a small victory in terms of party size, early on, which encouraged us to think that we could make a difference. But then, I don't recall any ability to move the needle beyond that.
Design by committee pretty much guarantees a bad product.
No one said anything about design by committee. inXile is the group making the game and they get to decide what goes into or doesn't. But, they've not done a good job communicating about their decisions. I would be happier with them if they had so much as said "we're changing this because we think it will lead to a better player experience while preserving the spirit of the original series and here's why...", even I disagreed with their rationale. But, communication has been sporadic at best. And, they have been getting a consistent message from a group of backers these past three years about where they've the crossed the line. Sure, there is a BT1 camp and a BT3 camp, but those camps are in accord on most things - it's not as if everyone has had their own clashing lists and it would somehow lead to chaos in the development process. If inXile had at least engaged with us, even if they didn't fully agree, it would've been better than what has actually happened.
ZZGO wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 4:00 am
But like I've said before, the game I paid for is Bard's Tale IV. I've already played and completed I - III back in the day. The Remasters are just the icing on the cake.
Yeah, I've replayed the originals a number of times. The remasters were never my focus - I was looking for and expecting a new Bard's Tale game. As I've said before, though, I will be happy if the remasters work out well, since they have the potential to introduce a new generation to the series. At this point, I will be even happier if the remasters put the so-called BT IV to shame.
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 16th, 2018, 6:33 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 4:27 pm
Sure, there is a BT1 camp and a BT3 camp
There's even a BT2 camp. But it's very, very small and lonely and We Don't Talk About It in polite company. :lol:
Alwa nasci korliri das.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » July 16th, 2018, 6:50 pm

:lol:
cmibl<enter>

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » July 17th, 2018, 2:15 am

thebruce wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 7:55 am

So, in my mind, we have:
* Tales of the Unknown: The Bard's Tale [1], Bard's Tale: The Destiny Knight [2], Bard's Tale: The Thief of Fate [3]
* Bard's Tale 2004
* The Mage's Tale
* Tales of the Unknown: The Bard's Tale Remastered

And my head canon is now leading me to consider the addition of:
* Bard's Tale: Barrow's Deep
Never any love for the Construction Set (yeah, I know - but I built some pretty good dungeons :lol: )

I agree though, if the remastered BT1-3 end up being a kind of reboot then great! Dragon Wars could probably benefit from similar treatment but, eh, I doubt Becky would be cool with that.

As a standalone game I'd probably have still bought BT4, but it's just not what I thought I was backing - so, lesson learned and no more crowdfunds over minimum amount unless I'm pretty sure what we're going to get (e.g. what Julian Gollop is doing with Phoenix Point). Whether you're in the BT1 crew, the BT3 crew... or the BT2 guy... I think all the groups would have preferred one of those to something totally different.

I think it'll be a DVD of the remasters that goes into my lovely deluxe BT4 box in the end.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » July 17th, 2018, 2:41 am

lefty1117 wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 11:59 am
One thing is for sure - BT4 is in beta now so it's not going to significantly change. If you do not like what you're seeing in beta, you should probably try and get your money back. Speak with your wallet. In the end that will be the best lever to pull when it comes to influencing direction.
Nah, I'm not abandoning my beloved franchise so easily now. I think, playing the game and pointing out things I like and things I don't like, in my forum posts, reviews and even let's plays, is the thing I'm going to do for now. Also, the Remasters look great, so that's another reason I am not going to ask for a refund.
However, I agree, that speaking with your wallet is the way to go in most cases, so this is where I will stop backing "sequels", "spiritual successors" and the like.

JasonJoel
Novice

Post by JasonJoel » July 22nd, 2018, 4:52 pm

Looking forward to trying out Krome's version of BT1 this Tuesday!

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » July 22nd, 2018, 8:32 pm

JasonJoel wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 4:52 pm
Looking forward to trying out Krome's version of BT1 this Tuesday!
Tomorrow?

Is this one of the rewards for backers?

JasonJoel
Novice

Post by JasonJoel » July 23rd, 2018, 5:07 am

In one of the last backer updates, Krome said BT1 would be on Steam Early Access 7/24... Last I checked, that's tomorrow. 😀

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » July 23rd, 2018, 6:05 am

Is that it?

After reviewing my backer survey.

lunatic
Initiate

Post by lunatic » July 23rd, 2018, 6:13 am

I assume this is it. My survey states the same. Waiting for an email with my key...

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » July 23rd, 2018, 6:24 am

I wider if you can transfer character's from the current versions I playing now. Which is all three of them back to back. I've been alternating between Destiny Knight and Thief of Fate all day. While I keep losing entire roster of hero's within minutes in Tale of the Unknown. I might as well restart fresh there.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » July 23rd, 2018, 7:19 am

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 6:24 am
I wider if you can transfer character's from the current versions I playing now. Which is all three of them back to back. I've been alternating between Destiny Knight and Thief of Fate all day. While I keep losing entire roster of hero's within minutes in Tale of the Unknown. I might as well restart fresh there.
I don't believe there will be any character/party transfer between old versions and the latest release BUT the new remasters being released will be more cross-game compatible than the originals were in terms of being able to keep a viable party together.

There doesn't seem to have been an update since the FAQ on the Kickstarter update which said:

Q: When will we be able to play?

A: We're planning to release the trilogy with a fully-playable Bard's Tale 1 on July 24th via Steam Early Access!

...which would be great if so, but y'know, games development is rarely that reliable in terms of dates.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » July 23rd, 2018, 8:35 am

Is the download via CrowdOx?

balinor
Acolyte

Post by balinor » July 23rd, 2018, 8:36 am

Steam early access so the download will be via steam. I expect the key will be via crowdox though.

Magican
Initiate

Post by Magican » July 23rd, 2018, 10:13 am

I am just waiting for the access. I hope they keep the date. I am so excited I just can't hide IT! :D

Lanatir
Scholar

Post by Lanatir » July 24th, 2018, 8:50 am

Dont hold your breath for a release today.

Lanatir
Scholar

Post by Lanatir » July 24th, 2018, 10:13 am

Aaaand here wo go.

"Hi All,

This week, we decided to not release the Bard’s Tale Trilogy remasters into Early Access and instead will continue pushing toward a fully complete build of the original Bard's Tale in mid-August. As we evaluated it, we felt like it was closer to a final build than we thought it would be at this point in development, and it wouldn’t be beneficial to put it into Early Access. Another plus is that we can include GOG then as well, a feature that we have been asked for during the last few weeks. The fully complete versions of The Bard’s Tale II and III will then be added in over the following months.

The wait will be a bit longer, but the end result - for all of our backers - will be worth it.

Until Next Time,
Paul Marzagalli
Public Relations & Community Manager
@phimseto "

How surprising.
And the just noticed on the day they wanted to release it and couldnt tell us before.

JasonJoel
Novice

Post by JasonJoel » July 24th, 2018, 10:22 am

That figures.

So by not giving anyone Early Access, they obviously don't want any feedback from fans of the series. We'll just get what we get when it comes out in August I guess.

Still looking forward to it, but I think they missed an opportunity to get feedback from the community.

Lanatir
Scholar

Post by Lanatir » July 24th, 2018, 10:24 am

JasonJoel wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 10:22 am

Still looking forward to it, but I think they missed an opportunity to get feedback from the community.
If they cared about that BT4 wouldnt look the way it does.