"As I Lay Dying....."

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Falkentyne
Initiate

"As I Lay Dying....."

Post by Falkentyne » November 26th, 2017, 12:30 am

Was this Kylearan?
Or Garth? Or Roscoe?
I don't know if anyone ever found out.

Who did Tarjan thrust his jeweled sword into in the introduction manual of Bard's Tale III ?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: "As I Lay Dying....."

Post by thebruce » November 27th, 2017, 8:39 am

I'm trying to remember where I read about the writer of this intro... I'm sure I did somewhere. These particular instances should be easy to narrow down, if referenced anywhere else:

"Tarjan, mocking my death curse, told me Skara Brae was merely one in a series of conquests he had long contemplated to complete his revenge."

"As payment for my threat, he gave a swift twist of his jewelled sword into my belly."
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

ZiN
Explorer

Post by ZiN » November 28th, 2017, 6:20 am

thebruce wrote:
November 27th, 2017, 8:39 am
"Tarjan, mocking my death curse, told me Skara Brae was merely one in a series of conquests he had long contemplated to complete his revenge."
ImageImage
Either Roscoe or Kylearan, capable of casting "death curse" (which is incidentally a druid spell in Dragon Wars).
thebruce wrote:
November 27th, 2017, 8:39 am
"As payment for my threat, he gave a swift twist of his jewelled sword into my belly."
Garth, looks badass enough to threaten Tarjan, and get stabbed in a melee.

By the way, who was Falkentyne anyway. A legendary warrior-bard, known for his song of Fury?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » November 28th, 2017, 8:02 am

Falkentyne, the only reference in BT is the Bard song. Even googling for some sort of etymology turned up blank for me. Is it a made up name? :)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 28th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Pretty sure it's not Garth. Assuming the box is at least mildly canon as well: "The Equipment Shoppe went under so quickly Garth was crushed."

As a kid, I just assumed that was written by some random guard or villager as opposed to a Named person.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

SuperDave17
Initiate

Post by SuperDave17 » November 28th, 2017, 11:27 pm

I think it was merely narrative setup by somebody significant and unnamed. The setup fulfills two purposes. One, it establishes that Tarjan really is an Omnicidal Manic who's determined to destroy anything and everything. Two, it establishes that he has some past grudges to avenge. And boy does he ever.

Falkentyne
Initiate

Post by Falkentyne » December 16th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Almost sure now it has to be Kylearan. Couldn't be Roscoe, he would have just zapped away all of Tarjan's spell points and left him too weak to stab him with his sword (very sad attempt at a joke. I'm humor impaired). I'm guessing Tarjan destroyed Kylearan's tower and had him imprisoned and in shackles while he destroyed Skara Brae, then killed him after.