I can't figure out how to download the remastered versions

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Dcdoc45
Initiate

I can't figure out how to download the remastered versions

Post by Dcdoc45 » August 17th, 2017, 4:36 pm

I have searched and clicked, but I cannot figure out how to download the remastered version of the original games.
I have gone to the backer portal, but cannot see a link to see my rewards.
I downloaded the first version of the remasters, wanted to play with the newest version.
Please help

Don

phimseto
Developer

Re: I can't figure out how to download the remastered versions

Post by phimseto » August 17th, 2017, 5:28 pm

The backer portal is still being rebuilt, but even so the latest build of the remasters aren't publicly available yet (nor are they really playable). Olde Skuul is still working on them.

Simmeon
Initiate

Post by Simmeon » February 16th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Any update on this? I never got an email telling me that the remastered versions were downloadable in any capacity. I've checked Olde Skuul's twitter account and they haven't posted anything in a year. I'd like to check this out.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 17th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Remasters still aren't finished.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

JasonJoel
Initiate

Post by JasonJoel » February 24th, 2018, 8:43 am

Simmeon wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 8:02 pm
Any update on this? I never got an email telling me that the remastered versions were downloadable in any capacity. I've checked Olde Skuul's twitter account and they haven't posted anything in a year. I'd like to check this out.
Just assume that they are never going to be finished. Honestly I don't believe any update they give on the remakes at this point. Words are cheap, actions are gold - and based on the actions I'm not optimistic.

In my opinion this has damaged inexiles trustworthiness and reputation. I still like their mainstream products, but they shouldn't offer something they can't deliver.

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 24th, 2018, 11:27 am

inXile contracted the making of the remasters to a company known as Olde Skuul. If anyone's trustworthiness and reputation should be called into question, it should be Olde Skuul's. That said, if inXile wants to protect its own reputation in this regard, it should probably be seeking contract enforcement via legal means at this point, given how far the delivery date has slipped with no substantial progress being made. And, if it promised remasters to backers without a contract, then that is indeed an egg on inXile's face.
cmibl<enter>

Bladesinger
Novice

Post by Bladesinger » February 25th, 2018, 10:39 am

Well. All I can say is. Certainly WONT enjoy playing the remastered if its ever released now. Who wants to zerg the game just to play bt4? If they release it soon it still may JUST be enjoyable before the release of bt4. Any longer and the programmers are either taking the fiss. Or Inxile are just letting themselves be used.

ZZGO
Acolyte

Post by ZZGO » February 25th, 2018, 11:58 am

InXile has gone on record stating that they didn't offer the remastered editions for the Kickstarter; Olde Sküül did. InXile merely allowed Olde Sküül to jump on the bandwagon here, and didn't accept any responsibility for wether or not the remastered editions ever get published.
The game that was kickstarted is Bard's Tale IV, not the remastered editions. That's what InXile is making.

...that said, I would also have loved to play the remastered editions. But my interest has cooled down over time. At this point I'm just curious about the game mechanics and storyline that BT4 will have, and looking forward to the game. If my modest laptop can even run the game - that's something I found out the hard way in another kickstarter project I joined.

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 25th, 2018, 3:52 pm

As part of the KS for BT4, inXile stated that remasters would be available as digital rewards. I still have screenshots proving that these were part of the promised backer rewards. I'm aware that inXile tried to waffle on these later on, claiming that it was a voluntary contribution from Olde Skuul. That doesn't matter; if you tell backers that you are going to provide them something, then you are on hook to do so. At this point, inXile may need to twist Olde Skuul's arm a little bit to protect their own reputation.
cmibl<enter>

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 25th, 2018, 4:56 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
February 25th, 2018, 3:52 pm
That doesn't matter; if you tell backers that you are going to provide them something, then you are on hook to do so. At this point, inXile may need to twist Olde Skuul's arm a little bit to protect their own reputation.
Yeah... there are times when one may promise a show, and it storms the whole day. No one should be that guy who demands the free show
—because it was promised, while ignoring that circumstances prevent it; which is not the case here, I've seen no announcement canceling them yet, have you?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 26th, 2018, 10:22 am

And the remaster really is a 'bonus'. I didn't pledge with the promise of being able to play the remaster. That came later. I hope it gets done. If only to whet people's appetites (if done well) for the classic BT style gameplay. But we still have the actual classics. I won't be "upset" as a backer if it doesn't get fulfilled by a non-inXile entity, who are/should be furiously working on BTIV.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 26th, 2018, 4:52 pm

I didn't pledge for the remasters either (even though I think quite a few people did, based on past forum comments that I've seen). Running the original games in emulators has been fine for me when I get that occasional Bard's Tale craving. However, the remasters were advertised as backer rewards. If someone says they're going to provide something, it is not unreasonable to expect them to actually provide it. My only interest in the remasters is to make the originals more accessible to newer players. But, whether I care or not about them being completed, personally, I do care that people don't go back on what they said, out of principle.
cmibl<enter>

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 26th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Can't argue with that; (and don't want to).

balinor
Novice

Post by balinor » February 27th, 2018, 3:10 am

I unfortunately pledged for the remasters, but such is life.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » February 27th, 2018, 5:48 am

Without the remasters I would not have backed this game.
So i hope BT4 will really surprise me

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 27th, 2018, 6:17 pm

PsychicMonk wrote:
February 27th, 2018, 5:48 am
Without the remasters I would not have backed this game.
So i hope BT4 will really surprise me
balinor wrote:
February 27th, 2018, 3:10 am
I unfortunately pledged for the remasters, but such is life.
Case in point. Was I not just saying that there were plenty of people who pledged for the remasters?
inXile would do well to heed the fact that there are many more like the two people who just spoke up.
People who have fond memories of the originals and were hoping for a polished-up version easily-accessible on modern hardware.

To claim that the remasters were just an afterthought or a late addition makes no difference to the people who pledged solely to get their hands on them.
cmibl<enter>

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 27th, 2018, 8:34 pm

I bought the original 2004 BT edition from InXile, specifically to have official BT1, 2, & 3 installers.

I did not back BT4 to get the remastered originals, but they are a welcome bonus if they materialize as working games. I'll not hold it against them if they don't.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » February 28th, 2018, 3:56 am

I already have several versions of the classics in my collection and can run them without problems.
To me the interesting thing about the remastered versions is not accessibility but
the (potential) features not available in any existing version:
- female pcs in Bard's Tale 1+2
- probably being able to change between the games back and forth
- combination of the best sounds+graphics from all existing versions

Simmeon
Initiate

Post by Simmeon » March 6th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Gizmo wrote:
February 25th, 2018, 4:56 pm
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
February 25th, 2018, 3:52 pm
That doesn't matter; if you tell backers that you are going to provide them something, then you are on hook to do so. At this point, inXile may need to twist Olde Skuul's arm a little bit to protect their own reputation.
Yeah... there are times when one may promise a show, and it storms the whole day. No one should be that guy who demands the free show
—because it was promised, while ignoring that circumstances prevent it; which is not the case here, I've seen no announcement canceling them yet, have you?
I have to say, this is the worst analogy I've ever seen lol. If a show is canceled due to any circumstance, it is almost ALWAYS rescheduled at no cost to the ticket buyer. Nobody knows if it's been canceled or not because Old Skullz or whatever their names are haven't communicated to anyone in over a year. Go ahead and send them a tweet, see what you get.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 6th, 2018, 10:15 pm

Simmeon wrote:
March 6th, 2018, 8:09 pm
I have to say, this is the worst analogy I've ever seen lol.
I can state it, but I cannot understand it for you. What I can see though, is that you seem to take analogies as some kind of an attempt at proof; or worse, as something to be disproved, and in so doing... believe that it somehow then disproves the original point. :lol: Analogies are to illustrate and clarify a similarity or meaning—not to prove a point. The analogies themselves are not meant as proof of anything, and it is meaningless to pick one apart. Extrapolating further tangents to an analogy—even plausible ones, does not always (or often?) further apply to the original argument; nor ever discredit it, as the subject was never the analogy itself, and the veracity of an analogy is moot... An analogy can be pure fantasy, and serve its purpose—so long as the implication, or significance is understood.
If a show is canceled due to any circumstance, it is almost ALWAYS rescheduled at no cost to the ticket buyer.
Irrelevant; but you should know that. The 'show' (as mentioned in the quote) was for free, and preventive circumstances can of course be permanent ones. IE. that the show might never be possible to repeat or reschedule —none of which is related to the BT Remastered editions, as far as we know. That is between these two companies, and we should only expect to read what they choose to release publicly.
Nobody knows if it's been canceled or not because Old Skullz or whatever their names are haven't communicated to anyone in over a year. Go ahead and send them a tweet, see what you get.
You do not know the answer to any of those questions.