font used in the old BT games or BTCS

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

BHelper
Initiate

font used in the old BT games or BTCS

Post by BHelper » June 19th, 2017, 9:08 pm

I'm currently converting "The Bard's Lore" scenario that was made back in 1997/98 for the Bard's Tale Construction Set to RPG Maker MV, and one key component of the look and feel is the text font. Any specific suggestions for a font that's free for personal use, and looks close to the BT games as seen on the PC or Apple IIgs, or ideally the PC BTCS?
I've already ruled out Celtic Garamond the 2nd, which I'd used in a previous conversion project for The Devil Whiskey. Currently using Fondamento Italic, but I don't like the way the numbers look.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: font used in the old BT games or BTCS

Post by thebruce » June 20th, 2017, 8:28 am

I just recreated the BT1 DOS font used in the scroll which you could make use of (assuming it's not copyrighted :P) which I'm using on BTO in a very few select places (like the 404 page). Best used as an 8 pixel height raster font, but I included a truetype vector variant for other sizes.
http://bardstaleonline.com/includes/bardscroll.ttf
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 20th, 2017, 10:40 am

That's the guy that wanted to sell players the arbitrarily custom spellbook, and used a topless poolside photo for the Queen?

**Have you looked at FontSquirrel?
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/list/popular

BHelper
Initiate

Post by BHelper » June 20th, 2017, 11:24 pm

@Gizmo Well, I'm not the original author, that's John H Wigforss, and he made it freeware in 2002. I've tried to contact him since, with no luck.
Yep, for a sneaky definition of topless.
I'm the guy who tried doing a conversion of it to Devil Whiskey back in 2004/05, and also converted it to Sword Coast Legends in 2016. This is my "starter project" for learning RPG makers, apparently.
And I've checked out a bunch on http://www.dafont.com/ in the Gothic section already.

@thebruce Well, it's certainly authentic, and looks hideous above 12 point. It'll be a fallback, thanks!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 21st, 2017, 6:30 am

hehe, it is, authentically, a hideous 8px raster font :)
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 23rd, 2017, 5:35 pm

BHelper wrote:
June 20th, 2017, 11:24 pm
I'm the guy who tried doing a conversion of it to Devil Whiskey back in 2004/05, and also converted it to Sword Coast Legends in 2016.
Is it that good? (Or is it simply the only commercial game made with the BTCS...) :?:

burgerbecky
Novice

Post by burgerbecky » June 30th, 2017, 4:03 am

The font used in Bard's Tale IIgs was custom made for the game. It exists as a GIF file. The remastered game uses a brand new font created by Jennell Jaquays. If you want the old font, it's 8 point and I can supply the GIF if you want.

BHelper
Initiate

Post by BHelper » July 1st, 2017, 2:39 pm

Wow! Thanks for chiming in Becky!
If you could post or PM me the IIgs font gif, so I have something to compare others against, that would be great.

@Gizmo Oh no, it's not too good, and somebody else did a shareware game that's been alleged to be a ripoff of the BTCS sample scenario (The Bard's Quest 1996 By Alex Ghadaksaz From VisionSoft). Both Wigforss games have severe balance and grinding issues, though.

burgerbecky
Novice

Post by burgerbecky » July 3rd, 2017, 1:33 am

BHelper wrote:
July 1st, 2017, 2:39 pm
Wow! Thanks for chiming in Becky!
If you could post or PM me the IIgs font gif, so I have something to compare others against, that would be great.

@Gizmo Oh no, it's not too good, and somebody else did a shareware game that's been alleged to be a ripoff of the BTCS sample scenario (The Bard's Quest 1996 By Alex Ghadaksaz From VisionSoft). Both Wigforss games have severe balance and grinding issues, though.
This is the font, converted from the original IIgs PNT file format to PNG with proper masking. Please note that the IIgs version applied color to the font at runtime, which is why the font appears only white, where in the game it's several colors. Yes, the font's main image is only 320x200
and looks like a postage stamp, but we've come a long way since graphics in 1985/1986!

http://burgerbecky.com/burgerlib/fontbtiigs.png

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 4th, 2017, 7:05 am

I found it interesting that there are two types of the scroll font. The DOS version is a little horizontally compressed. I started converting the IIGS version, then wondered why some letters weren't as wide on different screenshots :P Having played versions with both styles, both seemed quite nostalgic.
@thebruce0