Bard's Tale remasters update from Olde Sküül

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

tarasis
Initiate

Re: Bard's Tale remasters update from Olde Sküül

Post by tarasis » June 19th, 2017, 8:24 am

Pleased that there is still life in the remaster.

balinor
Initiate

Post by balinor » June 20th, 2017, 2:06 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
June 18th, 2017, 8:14 am
The only reason I backed this game was for The Bard's Tale remastered games but hopefully Bards Tale IV will be ok.
Note to inXile: In the past couple of years that I've been on this forum, I've seen numerous posts like the one above. Might be worth considering that much of the crowd-funding you received may not be a mandate for the game you're making, but for the one you already made as Interplay back in the 80's. This could be taken as a hint to make BT4 more like the originals, modern sensibilities be damned. (For whatever modern means.)
Very much this. It was the remasters that got me to back the game.

burgerbecky
Novice

Post by burgerbecky » June 30th, 2017, 4:04 am

Ranger1 wrote:
June 16th, 2017, 4:29 pm
Great news on the remaster. BTW could we get the maps for the original games as a pdf?
Why? The Remasters have auto mapping.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 30th, 2017, 5:43 am

And they're easily available at many locations on the web... part of the fun of the game is the discovery though. Use the automap, or make your own maps. If you get stuck or confused, refer to someone else's map :)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 30th, 2017, 6:07 am

burgerbecky wrote:
June 30th, 2017, 4:04 am
Ranger1 wrote:
June 16th, 2017, 4:29 pm
Great news on the remaster. BTW could we get the maps for the original games as a pdf?
Why? The Remasters have auto mapping.
Unrelated question, but have you considered adding in some form of tooltips so we can see what an item or spell does ingame?
Matthias did nothing wrong!

burgerbecky
Novice

Post by burgerbecky » July 3rd, 2017, 1:36 am

Crosmando wrote:
June 30th, 2017, 6:07 am
Unrelated question, but have you considered adding in some form of tooltips so we can see what an item or spell does ingame?
No, I hadn't thought of that. I'll put it on the wish list. No promises, you hear!

Alucard007
Initiate

Post by Alucard007 » October 13th, 2017, 7:26 am

Can I buy this updated set off your site once it's finished? Is that going to be an option. BT 4 isn't really doing it for me. Thanks

sinbuster
Initiate

Post by sinbuster » November 18th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Can we get an update please. It's been awfully quiet around here but I can see from Becky's twitter she's still active.

cpd315
Initiate

Post by cpd315 » November 22nd, 2017, 10:53 pm

Can’t wait to show my son what real PC gaming was like for me when I was his age!

ZiN
Explorer

Post by ZiN » November 24th, 2017, 1:43 am

Alucard007 wrote:
October 13th, 2017, 7:26 am
Can I buy this updated set off your site once it's finished? Is that going to be an option. BT 4 isn't really doing it for me. Thanks.
Yes, it would be a nice option to buy a standalone version of Bard's Tale The Original Trilogy Remastered.

The currently available DOS versions are buggy and ugly (unless unofficial patch is applied), and the KEGS32 emulator included in BT2004 "Remastered" might have issues with saving besides being quite slow.
I hope Burger Becky can write a save/load/import system, as elegant and fast as her ProDos routines were for BT3 and Dragon Wars. These games need to be able to run very fast, due to backtracking, trash fights and grinding. Funny how those things sound bad for a "modern game" and yet quite a few people would still like to play these classics in a "definitive edition" on a "modern" PC.

sinbuster wrote:
November 18th, 2017, 5:43 pm
Can we get an update please. It's been awfully quiet around here but I can see from Becky's twitter she's still active.
This game needs better coverage. "Social media" postings and various links to unlisted youtube videos are inadequate in my opinion. I can't believe how more unprofessional this can get...
Not that BT4 is much better, with its quarterly uninformative updates and shameless BT2004 / MT promos.

cpd315 wrote:
November 22nd, 2017, 10:53 pm
Can’t wait to show my son what real PC gaming was like for me when I was his age!
The funny thing is, it will be more like real Amiga / IIGS gaming (as it used to be). For PC there was Wizardry and Might & Magic.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » November 24th, 2017, 5:33 am

Well, the Amiga and Apple 2gs were personal computers.
Matthias did nothing wrong!