The Burger battle

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Ether
Scholar

The Burger battle

Post by Ether » June 12th, 2017, 5:47 am

I saw this checking out crpg Addict's blog; amazingly I had never heard of this despite checking out bards tale forums for about six years now.

I tried the battle with my (negatively) glitched Kindle party. I think they were around level 25. It didn't go well.
Anyone else try it, and if successful, what level were you?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: The Burger battle

Post by Drool » June 12th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Looking at the fight, I'm not entirely sure it's possible to win in BT1. I don't think you have the spell power to handle it.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Iiago
Acolyte

Post by Iiago » June 13th, 2017, 8:43 pm

I had not heard of this. I'm currently playing Bloodnet (for some stupid reason). When I finish it I'll fire up my old party and give it a shot.

Iiago
Acolyte

Post by Iiago » June 20th, 2017, 6:37 pm

It doesn't work on the emulated versions, anyone got any ideas why?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 20th, 2017, 7:33 pm

The original versions don't have it, just the new one Becky has been working. (iirc)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 20th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Actually, I believe it was an Easter Egg in the Apple version. So it might show up in the BT04 bundled version.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 21st, 2017, 6:33 am

Oh wow, yep, it is in the IIGS version, just confirmed. TMYK!
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » June 21st, 2017, 8:48 pm

If people still have a copy of Beta 2 of the remasters floating around, there are a couple more passwords with Easter eggs to try at Mad God's Temple: JENNELL, TACO. Personally, I wish Olde Skuul would just leave the extra content out. But, throwing that out there, in case someone wants to play with them.
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 21st, 2017, 10:49 pm

Eh. BURGER was in the original Apple version, so adding that isn't especially out of bounds. The other two? Eh. I don't mind that kind of Easter Egg. Now, if we randomly run into Sailor Moon or something, that would be obnoxious, but a "talk to the Priest" Easter Egg is harmless and very easily ignored.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 22nd, 2017, 5:56 am

A hack of the binaries/data can also reveal all the codes that may have been added.
@thebruce0

ZZGO
Acolyte

Post by ZZGO » June 22nd, 2017, 2:49 pm

It's also in the (Beta) Remastered edition... and thanks to the bugged combat, it's possible to win the first fight (against 99 Ancient enemies, 99 Jabberwocks, 99 Maze masters and 99 Gimps).
Shame that MIBL isn't working properly. I'm using a Fire Horn and SHSP to kill ~33 monsters of a given group each round. Assuming you survive with all six characters, each character gets 232320 XP and 4867 Gold.

...and then the priests appear again with the following text:
"You have lived!! Let's try again!!" --> Next time, keep your mouth shut! Ahead are 99 Demon lords, 99 Soul suckers, 99 Liches, 99 Balrogs.

That second battle I can't win, not even with the borked combat routine from the Beta Remastered edition.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » June 25th, 2017, 8:43 am

thebruce wrote:
June 22nd, 2017, 5:56 am
A hack of the binaries/data can also reveal all the codes that may have been added.
I got those two additional Easter eggs by looking at the strings baked into the executable. (No disassembly required.)
I find it's often a useful starting point for extracting data tables to find out which regions of code recognizable strings are located in.
cmibl<enter>

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 26th, 2017, 9:40 am

Indeed, since there's rarely, if ever, any spec sheet for retrieving compressed data :P
by 'hack' I just meant as little as 'opening in notepad' :) (which will only reveal certain elements of plaintext).
A hex editor is better on the low end as at least you can see the raw byte values, and that's ultimately how the originals were hacked. Not via decompiling, just via editing the raw save data. Good times.
@thebruce0

burgerbecky
Novice

Post by burgerbecky » June 30th, 2017, 4:01 am

The text in Bard's Tale and Bard's Tale II for the Apple IIgs was compressed inline in the code because I used my own assembler and it had a "text" opcode. It both saved a great deal of space, and it kept prying eyes away from the game. This tech was improved for Bard's Tale III and Dragon Wars. Porting this assembler to Windows was one of the things I had to do in order to get the maps to compile on my current development machine.

"You have uttered the most unspeakable word, prepare to DIE!" Yes, it's in the Remastered version, as well as a few other, FORBIDDEN words.

Do not taunt happy fun priests.

Becky

Cranfordfan
Initiate

Post by Cranfordfan » July 3rd, 2017, 7:34 pm

Hi dear Becky,
nice to read from You again.
May I please get only two questions answered ?
What kind of current development machine do You use to compile the maps ?
And, is it possible to play The Bard´s Tale Remastered on Windows 10 with 64 Bit machines ?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Very nice Regards
Michael
Burp ! Not too bad ! :D

burgerbecky
Novice

Post by burgerbecky » July 7th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Cranfordfan wrote:
July 3rd, 2017, 7:34 pm
Hi dear Becky,
nice to read from You again.
May I please get only two questions answered ?
What kind of current development machine do You use to compile the maps ?
And, is it possible to play The Bard´s Tale Remastered on Windows 10 with 64 Bit machines ?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Very nice Regards
Michael
I develop mostly using a Windows 10 Pro machine (64 bit) and a Mac Mini for iOS/MacOSX Intel builds, and a PowerMac G4 for MacOSX PPC builds. The Windows machine builds all other platforms, from consoles, windows and Android.

The maps are built using an Apple ][ compatible assembler I wrote and ported to Windows and modern MacOSX (Yes, my tool chain works just fine on a mac host machine).

The game is currently built for Windows XP (Or higher) with a 32 and a separate 64 bit EXE file. When I've been sending out builds, you launch the game with a .BAT file which checks if you're running 32 or 64 bit windows and it then launches the appropriate EXE file.

Becky

Cranfordfan
Initiate

Post by Cranfordfan » July 31st, 2017, 9:51 pm

Hi dear Becky,

I am back again. Thank You for Your most valuable answers.
Indeed, today I bought Dragon Wars at Steam and in the manual there I found at the first entry:
Program: "Burger" Bill Heineman
Designed by: Paul Ryan O'Connor
Brian Fargo
Well, so "Dragon Wars" is really Your "baby" ? Very proud to read about it.
My questions now are...ähm...so that now I got the MS-DOS version with this Dos-Box 0.74 at least compatible with my WIN 10 64 Bit system, I regoniced an awfull graphic mode at the DOS-Version (CGA). So as I fortunately own the C64 and the AMIGA versions of Dragon Wars, I perceived that there is a great difference in the graphic display. On which OS did You first program this wonderful Dragon Wars ?
And what will further happen with the (now purchasable) version of DW ? Is at possible, that You could produce a Remastering of Dragon Wars as well as for the Bard´s Tale series ? That would be so great.
Sorry for all of these many questions, but...I am SO excited about a possible Dragon Wars Remastered version released.

With a lot of greetings
Michael
Burp ! Not too bad ! :D