BT3: Mapping darkness areas without "ouch!"

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

the_dudes
Initiate

BT3: Mapping darkness areas without "ouch!"

Post by the_dudes » April 22nd, 2017, 8:07 am

We recently started to play BT3 and realized that there is no "ouch!" when you hit a wall in a dungeon. Our question is: How do you map an area of darkness without this very useful hint? We know there is automapping in BT3, but we don't want to use it, cause mapping the dungeons oldschool is part of the fun!
dona eis requiem

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: BT3: Mapping darkness areas without "ouch!"

Post by Gizmo » April 22nd, 2017, 12:08 pm

In EOB ~though there were no pitch black locations in it, they did have a wall-bump sound effect. Grimrock does the same thing.

**Though I would like a bit more of "The Dark Domain" —and it being pitch black, it seems unpopular to do so these days. :(

There was a commercial game mod a few years ago (possibly for one of the Aliens titles), that was demonstrating improved 3D positional sound, and the room was supposed to be navigated by ear.

Ether
Scholar

Post by Ether » April 22nd, 2017, 7:40 pm

Only way I can think of is to use a lot of Scry Site, which has its practical limitations also.

Removing that Ouch graphic was the one operational downgrade from bt 3 vs bt 1 & 2.
Worth noting some of the other versions of bt 1 & 2 don't have it either.

Personally, I would use the automap in those situations. You'll go nuts otherwise, especially with spinners and one way walls. It also is necessary since the maps don't follow the 22 x 22 format, start at 0,0 in the Sw corner like the first two games.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 22nd, 2017, 8:34 pm

the_dudes wrote:
April 22nd, 2017, 8:07 am
We recently started to play BT3 and realized that there is no "ouch!" when you hit a wall in a dungeon. Our question is: How do you map an area of darkness without this very useful hint?
You use the automapper which shows the wall.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » April 22nd, 2017, 8:38 pm

If you have a bard equipped with a Bardsword or similar "unlimited songs" item, then you can use what I call the "Flic-a-Bic" method of repeatedly having the bard play a light spell. You should get a brief flare to help you get your bearings. I did that on the Mac version of BT1, because it didn't display the "Darkness!" message and so you wouldn't know when you exited a darkness area. (It did have "Ouch!" though, which was useful.)
cmibl<enter>

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » April 24th, 2017, 6:33 am

bah noblesse got there first :) Yep, I used the flicker method too. It didn't help for magic walls or hidden doors, but it gave you that basic sense of what was around.
B47...B47...B47...B47...B47... those were the days :) (well, Bard in slot 4. And BT2. BT3 was B46. BT1 was B42) lol
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

the_dudes
Initiate

Post by the_dudes » April 25th, 2017, 8:16 am

Thanks so much, everyone, especially noblesse and bruce! I guess we will try that! ("Next mission: find a bardsword!" ;-))
dona eis requiem

BHelper
Initiate

Post by BHelper » July 31st, 2017, 5:39 pm

Thanks for mentioning this, as it turns out even a top-down-view conversion of a BTCS scenario needs the "ouch" when you have darkness squares, because the behavior you want is that it completely blacks out the map view, so it was a feature that needed to be added. For the system that I'm using, and the relatively few darkness squares present, you make the walls have events that say "Ouch!" when you walk into them from the darkness squares direction(s). Otherwise you get no indication if you're still moving.
Personally, I'm also going to be nice to the players of my conversion, and have a view of only your current square if you've got no light source in an indoor dungeon, and full visibility in all directions for the duration of a light-producing spell or bard song or item. AFAIK, BT & BTCS games gave you a black view screen if you walked into a dungeon with no light.