BT original trilogy on Steam (Apple IIGS emulation) - framerate control?

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Bronock
Initiate

BT original trilogy on Steam (Apple IIGS emulation) - framerate control?

Post by Bronock » January 18th, 2017, 8:45 am

I am stumped. I tried to correct this problem by myself, no success. The first time I ran the game (Tales of the Unknown), it ran smoothly at an acceptable framerate with the emulator (I guess, the original game speed). Then, when I started up the game again, it runs turbo and I can't slow it down (meaning, when I wander the streets of Skara Brae I cannot progress without encountering monsters after monsters after monsters and all my characters die). Is there a way to slow down the emulator? Is the game properly installed with the correct compatibility mode? I run it from my Steam game library, on Windows 10 and Windows 98/ME compatibility.

blainedeyoung
Initiate

Re: BT original trilogy on Steam (Apple IIGS emulation) - framerate control?

Post by blainedeyoung » January 30th, 2017, 11:07 pm

I don't know what you're running, but I want to figure out how to do what you did. Supposedly, the DosBox emulator they use can speed up the game and slow it down. Pressing Ctrl-F11 should slow it down, and Ctrl-F12 should speed it up. But I don't see Ctrl-F12 doing anything, so there's that.

Breshard
Initiate

Re: BT original trilogy on Steam (Apple IIGS emulation) - framerate control?

Post by Breshard » February 2nd, 2017, 5:40 pm

I hardly ever played the IIGS emulated ones packaged with the newer Bard's Tale on steam, but i do recall that if my computer had been on for a while it could cause problems with them. Try rebooting before you go to play the old bard's tales and see if it helps.