Playing BT1 again

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

jrodman
Explorer

Re: Playing BT1 again

Post by jrodman » August 22nd, 2016, 9:37 am

I tried Dia for this purpose but really struggled with making the custom objects. Maybe Dia has made this easier or maybe I was being too fussy. I tried Grid Cartographer which is purpose-built and can show your location on the map in some games by poking at the memory in dosbox. It works okay but I missed the flexibility of what I can do with hand drawn maps.

I ended up using Inkscape heavily for bard's tale maps (mostly my playthrough of bard's tale 3), which is a vector graphics tool in the vein of Illustrator. It has decent grid snapping, and it's easy to craft new symbols in a hurry and then shove them in a bounding box to make them snap. There are some warts.

Paper is the most satisfying in many ways, but the most easily lost.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 22nd, 2016, 1:20 pm

Isn't K's Tower supposed to give you a huge XP and gold boost? Playing on the Remaster, I didn't notice any big bonus when I was teleported to outside K's tower, and I didn't notice anything when I spoke to K in person. Did I miss it, or is this a bug?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

joques
Novice

Post by joques » August 23rd, 2016, 1:33 am

I didn't get any boost in the DOS version from Kyle's tower just now.

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » November 9th, 2016, 11:50 pm

Kylereans tower did not provide a large XP/Gold boost on the C64, Amiga, or Apple IIgs versions. Yes, killing stuff in there offered some nontrivial XP, but it's only one level, and if you nail it in one visit (definitely possible, I did my first trip on the c64), then the gains aren't significant.

XP and gold gains are all about the sheer number of fights, though the raw xp per fight does increase through the game, it doesn't *that* much. The only boosts I'm aware of in the series are:

* Completing the Bard's Tale 1 game by killing the main enemy (repeatable, and not large)
* Completing the Bard's Tale 2 starter dungeon (not repeatable, and usually not achieved)
* Completing the Bard's Tale 3 starter dungeon
* Returning to the old man with artifacts in Bard's Tale 3 (only repeatable with exploits)

Thus, Bard's Tale 3 has a lot of boosts, and the others don't. I don't really know anyone who on a new playthrough got the xp boost for the BT2 starter dungeon anyway, they always seemed to outlevel the boost zone in order to complete the dungeon.