The Bard's Tale (2004) Known Issues and Solutions

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

sear
Developer

The Bard's Tale (2004) Known Issues and Solutions

Post by sear » April 23rd, 2016, 9:17 am

We don't get a ton of inquiries on our forums about the 2004 Bard's Tale, considering its release on consoles over a decade ago. However, we still have a lot of people playing the game thanks to its re-releases on PC as well as on mobile devices. This thread discusses some common issues and solutions - if you are having trouble, this might get you playing again.

Technical Issues

Can't save the game (mobile)
This is especially common on Android devices when users save to the SD card. Android's SD card support has had dozens of different implementations over its history, and support for SD can vary a lot from device to device and OS version to OS version. This can in turn lead to install and saving issues on certain devices (most commonly Samsung and Sony).

There are a couple of things you can do about this:
  1. Try rebooting your device by pressing the "Power Off" button that appears on screen, then hold the power button down again to start your device. Often this gets save/load working again without further issue.
  2. Re-mount the SD card by taking it out and putting it back into your device. This can re-initialize the SD card and sometimes clear up issues when the game tries to access the SD card
  3. If rebooting or re-mounting the SD card doesn't help, the device doesn't solve the problem, you may need to try reinstalling the game (and sometimes rebooting after this also helps).
Persistent/repeated SD card problems usually indicate a bug on your particular device and can usually be worked around by installing to internal storage memory instead of the SD card.

Corrupt save files (mobile)
Save corruption is rare, but some users occasionally have problems with corrupt saves occurring often. There are a few possible causes and work-arounds.
  1. Failing storage memory or SD card. A dying SD card or corrupt internal storage on your device can lead to data loss (both for The Bard's Tale saves, and your other files). If you repeatedly experience corrupt save files, try saving to another device or location.
  2. Sometimes save files can be corrupted due to sync errors (often as a result of an unstable Wi-Fi or data connection). If you are using Google Play Games sign-in and cloud sync with Google Drive, or iCloud Drive backup, you can disable these features for the game and see if that stops save corruption.
  3. Some users report that repeatedly saving over the same Autosave slot can cause corrupt saves. Disabling Autosave in the game's options can stop this from occurring if this is a problem for you.
If you frequently get corrupt save files, or just as a precaution, we recommend disabling Autosave and cloud sync services, and to save in multiple slots so that you can roll back to an earlier save if necessary.

Controller doesn't work
On Android, there was no standardized controller support for a long time. The Bard's Tale should work with most compatible HID controllers on newer Android OS versions and devices, however, older ones may not work.

Additionally, make sure you have enough buttons to play the game on your controller - not all controllers have dual analog sticks, shoulder triggers, etc. and those are needed to properly play in controller mode. Anything with similar button layouts to an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 2/3/4 controller should have enough buttons.

For PCs, the game should work with most USB controllers that support XInput or DirectInput, but you might need to map the controls manually in the options menu to get something that works well for you. Third-party programs such as Joy2Key can be useful if you have problems with the built-in controller support.

MOGA controller doesn't work
If you have a MOGA controller and an older Android version (4.x) then you need the MOGA Pivot app for the controller to work in The Bard's Tale

If you are on Android 5.0 or above, MOGA's Pivot app apparently was never updated to support those OS versions and thus won't work. Some MOGA controllers can be switched to HID mode using a switch on the back of the controller, and this should work without additional software; however, some controllers from MOGA do not have an HID switch and therefore may not work on Android 5.0 and above.

Gameplay Issues

I got stuck in a cutscene
This is a bug that goes back to the original release of the game in 2004. What happens is that the followers you do have try to walk to certain spots for the cutscene to continue, but never reach their spots correctly.

In most cases, you can work around this by summoning different followers, or unsummoning your existing followers entirely. This should allow the cutscene to proceed correctly.

Stuck at magic barriers with Mell
This is an issue from the original release of the game (and seems to occur more often on mobile devices). Mell can occasionally get stuck at the magic barriers because he can't get close enough to them to initiate his "fear sequence".

Mell doesn't want to approach the magic barriers when enemies are still firing at him, even if they're not directly visible to you. Using the bow, you can aim precisely and charge up shots to snipe the enemies that are just beyond the camera's range. Eventually you should kill them all and Mell should proceed.

We've also heard from a few users suggesting that restarting the game and loading from an earlier save can also cause this problem to resolve.

Hatcher disappears/gets stuck/dies at Stromness, can't proceed
This is a known rare glitch from the original release of the game, but we ended up putting a work-around into the mobile version to help players get around the problem.

Here are the steps you can follow to resolve this:
  1. Load the saved game with problem.
  2. Go to the Pause Menu.
  3. Select the "Redeem Codes" option.
  4. Choose "Redeem Other Code".
  5. Redeem the following code: wgqu@qmnz
  6. Redeem this code as well: puck@howe
  7. Go to the world map and the next location should be unlocked
Stuck at the Neverdale river ferry crossing
This is a bug in the original game that was never resolved. There is an easy work-around however. Go to the exit of Neverdale and leave to the world map. Re-enter Neverdale from the world map and return to river crossing ferry, and you should be able to proceed.

Objective marker stuck at Finstown
Finstown is an optional area that is not required to finish the rest of the game. The objective marker still appearing after you basically defeated the Vikings is a known bug that can sometimes occur, but it should not prevent you from leaving Finstown and continuing the rest of the game.

Misc. Questions/Help

How do I use the bow? (touchscreen devices)
You need to tap the Lute icon on the left side of the screen, then tap the Fist icon on the right, and last, tap the bow icon in there. Your Bard should then equip it. Remember that you need to charge up bow shots - tapping quickly won't attack with the bow. Instead you can charge up a shot by tapping and holding down the attack button.

Trouble finding MacRath's castle
If you are having trouble with this sequence, you're probably visiting the wrong place. MacRath's castle ruins aren't in Stromness, but instead they're in the Greenlands. You should find the Greenlands on the world map with a little exploring, and the castle ruins themselves are at the very southern end of the area surrounded by some tombstones.

Invisible enemies in the Island Tower
There are some enemies in the game which look like floating shields and swords, with invisible bodies. This isn't a bug, although sometimes we get questions asking if it is - so now you know! You can attack and defeat them just like any other enemies.

What do the Trow Maps unlock?
The locations on the world map should be immediately accessible, but not all are available right from the start of the game. You should be able to find the first one just northeast of Houton on the world map, for instance, but some of the others you'll need to play longer into the game to find.

The four maps and what they unlock are listed below:
  • Ratty Old Map: Unlocks Cairn of Ardagh
  • Ancient Parchment: Unlocks Cairn of Carrowmore
  • Weather Stained Map: Unlocks Ruins of Emain Macha
  • Blood Stained Map: Unlocks Ruins of Tara

Trazko
Initiate

Re: The Bard's Tale (2004) Known Issues and Solutions

Post by Trazko » May 18th, 2016, 10:21 am

Is there a way to adjust settings so that one gets the chance to see the world map? I never have it open for more than a second or two before I'm stuck in an area full of monsters. There is not enough time to look around when the world map is on. Thank you

Nephi
Initiate

Post by Nephi » July 1st, 2016, 3:00 am

Hatcher disappears/gets stuck/dies at Stromness, can't proceed
This is a known rare glitch from the original release of the game, but we ended up putting a work-around into the mobile version to help players get around the problem.

Here are the steps you can follow to resolve this:

Load the saved game with problem.
Go to the Pause Menu.
Select the "Redeem Codes" option.
Choose "Redeem Other Code".
Redeem the following code: wgqu@qmnz
Redeem this code as well: puck@howe
Go to the world map and the next location should be unlocked
So after doing this -- ( and I had no problems following these steps -Thank you )
The weapon shop on this level is still unable to be entered as the gentleman is dead.
Is there a workaround so that I can still enter the shop in order to pick up the 4 companion lute and better weapons ?

Thank you
Nephi

sear
Developer

Post by sear » July 1st, 2016, 9:23 am

Nephi wrote: So after doing this -- ( and I had no problems following these steps -Thank you )
The weapon shop on this level is still unable to be entered as the gentleman is dead.
Is there a workaround so that I can still enter the shop in order to pick up the 4 companion lute and better weapons ?

Thank you
Nephi
To my knowledge, no. The work-around is only really good for letting you progress on the world map, it can't fix any of the smaller bugs within Stromness unfortunately. If you have an earlier save file you could roll back, but I don't have any specific fixes for being able to enter the shop.

kenanperjaya
Initiate

Post by kenanperjaya » July 19th, 2016, 9:35 am

Question regarding the Firbolg in Finfolk caverns.

Hello dev, I've been loving this game so far, I have 8+ of hours in it invested. Right now I'm in the Finfolk caverns quest where Olav tells me to go to the Firbolg and shank him. At first, I walked right to him in a corner and the cutscene starts without me pressing anything, and he is stuck facing the wall, not breathing (should he be breathing) and it just pauses. I have to pause the game by pressing back button on android and resume, where the Bard just says some things based on whether or not I be nice or sarcastic.

I have tried to close the game and restart it from my last save which was after I spoke to him (where the last thing the Bard says is what a waste of time) and he disappears, me not getting any object and the Firbolg nowhere to talk to. Please help me find a solution. Thanks very much.

DrabBard
Initiate

Post by DrabBard » February 1st, 2017, 7:58 pm

Been a fan of TBT for years. My BlackBerry PlayBook just died finally, and I replaced it with a Shield K1. I sign into Google Play so I can record achievements. However, when I sync achievements, my save file is overwritten to a much older save point, and what looks like a Google icon appears next to it. Twice, now, I have made it to Highland Park, saved outside the temple, and exited to the main menu, synced achievements, and my game save puts me back in the Fairyhaunt
Woods! Hours lost! How do I sync my achievements without losing my game progress?

Weird_Wes
Initiate

Post by Weird_Wes » August 27th, 2017, 6:22 pm

Alright, I'm gonna go crazy. I've been stuck in the Burial Chamber for Hrafn's mission and this has to be bugged. I don't know why I can't finish this. Every guide I look at says he wins at 25, but I've gone up into the 100+ twice now. First it was whats-his-face and the magical barriars in Highland Park that took me almost a day to figure out by save-scumming and trying over and over again there, then the Frozen River took TWO HOURS because somehow my PS4 can't handle water effects from a decade ago(even more bizzare since its not even being emulated like other PS2 releases on PS4 this is booting up as a normal PS4 game, so it SHOULD be running flawlessly here as its not beign held back by emulated restrictions) and I'm sitting on an ice-chunk as the water slows my game down to a snails pace. I don't want to come off as rude, but when you release a game, even an old one to PS4, people expect the bugs to be worked out, especially when its toted as a remaster/re-release.

Please tell me a bug patch is coming soon.

PLEASE.

acidod
Initiate

Post by acidod » August 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

First, thanks for getting Bard's Tale over to PS4 and PS Vita!
I have to echo the issues I've encountered and that I've seen others post on other forums.
-framerate low / lag on PS4 in areas with water. Not just on the rafts, but in the caves too. It's really bad.
-dialouge freezing during play.
-trow map trophies not unlocking, and inherently the platinum not unlocking

All in all these issues are relatively minor and the game can still be played through from beginning to end, but I do hope that a patch could be implemented to fix these issues. Everyone buys games for different reasons, personally I picked this up for my PS4 for nostalgia and trophy completion. Playing through the game was a great trip down memory lane! Having said that had I known there were bugged/glitched/broken trophies in this game I wouldn't have bought it.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » August 28th, 2017, 11:38 am

Hi all, just wanted to note that I'm seeing these and passing them along.

icarusfalls
Initiate

Post by icarusfalls » August 31st, 2017, 8:57 am

I have encountered a bug in the section of the game with the electric barriers when you are chasing Fnarf. The guy stopped in front of the barrier, but wouldn't shock himself to dispel it. I saved my game and reloaded and the barrier disappeared. Now, all cutscenes refuse to play. I can skip them and continue the game, but even though the camera changes to the cutscene perspective, no dialog plays. I have tried with followers and without followers. I just wanted to bring this to your attention.

Thanks!

Kyritzu
Initiate

Post by Kyritzu » September 3rd, 2017, 4:45 pm

I love the game! Thank you for remaking it for PS4. Just so you're aware (hopefully there's a patch soon) I'm posting this to list issues I've encountered while playing.
(Some have been mentioned, others haven't, from what I've read).

- trophies are not being recognized for the 4 maps you buy from the Trow.
- water areas lag like crazy on ps4 pro.
- I've encountered at least one cutscene (I forgot if Finnoch (sp?) Was talking to Herne or Lough (sp?) In his chamber) and the cutscene froze and I had to skip it.
-I hit the PS button in the first level of Dunby Tower and it somehow muted all sounds except talking. (I had to close the game for sounds to come back).

Other than that I am so happy you guys re- released this game again, thank you and I hope the errors get patched soon so I can enjoy this game to the fullest. :)

browndj3
Initiate

Post by browndj3 » September 7th, 2017, 5:22 pm

So the solution you listed for the Stromness fix was only for mobile. I'm running into the exact same issue on PS4 and now I can't progress. Do you guys have any other fixes? I've tried reloading my save before talking to Hatcher, after talking to him, without party members, everything I can think of. I wouldn't be so upset if this wasn't so far into the game.

EDIT: I figured I'd add a list of the bugs I've found while playing on the PS4, since I encountered more than a handful. I am also playing on the PS4 Pro, and these issues I have listed below appear with Boost Mode enabled and disabled, so it doesn't seem to be linked to that.
  • If you have been playing for a while, conversations won't properly trigger. WORKAROUND: Close the Bard's Tale application and reload it. This worked a few times for me, but not in every instance.
  • Tall grass does not properly load in the Greenlands, and instead shows the bottom of the tiles they're supposed to be attached to.
  • Sections that include a lot of water lag the game to an unbearable rate. WORKAROUND: Zooming the camera in as close as you can helps. On the moving ice flows, zooming in and adjusting the camera so that the top of the screen is the same direction as you're moving helps.
  • In a couple of the extra dungeons as well as the mountain tower, when I picked up treasure, the icon for the treasure would not show up. Only the number for the pieces of silver I'm getting, the name of the treasure, and my total silver would show up.
  • The viking tombs with Hrafn would not allow me to continue even after he achieved the 25 kills. WORKAROUND: Reloading the save corrected this, allowing the Bard to say his line and continue the event trigger.
  • Stromness suffers from the same issue. The only way I got to the farm area was by exiting the application and reopening it multiple times. But now Hatcher is truly stuck, and there is no way for me to make him progress.
That's all I've got.

ghostgate2001
Initiate

Post by ghostgate2001 » October 26th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Playing the PS4 version (standard console, not Pro) and experiencing the same issues described in the posts above.

* The slowdown whenever there is a large amount of water visible on-screen (i.e. often and in many locations) is truly appalling. The whole game runs in slow-mo. I'm dreading reaching the Finfolk water level.
* It's impossible to unlock the trophies relating to the Wandering Trow maps, and therefore no-one on the planet has been able to obtain this game's Platinum trophy. 0.0%
* The final leg of that extended Highland Park sequence where the NPC is supposed to neutralise the barriers was a hot mess of bugs and glitches. The NPC froze at every barrier, forcing me to return to the save-point each time, save, quit, re-load, move one barrier further, repeat. And when I did finally reach the Fnarf fight at the end, 3 cut-scenes in a row failed to trigger - the characters just stood there failing to begin to speak until I had to skip the scenes to move on. That's a crying shame, as the cut-scenes are the highlights of this game.

As it has now been over 2 months since the game was released and there's been no patch whatsover - it's still V1.00 - are we to assume InXile are simply going to walk away from this game and leave it like this? C'mon guys, say it ain't so...

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » October 26th, 2017, 4:31 pm

I know there's a patch that's in the works, not sure of the ETA. It's always a trickier proposition because of the Sony certification process, but one is on the way.