Can't save the game (mobile)
This is especially common on Android devices when users save to the SD card. Android's SD card support has had dozens of different implementations over its history, and support for SD can vary a lot from device to device and OS version to OS version. This can in turn lead to install and saving issues on certain devices (most commonly Samsung and Sony).
There are a couple of things you can do about this:
- Try rebooting your device by pressing the "Power Off" button that appears on screen, then hold the power button down again to start your device. Often this gets save/load working again without further issue.
- Re-mount the SD card by taking it out and putting it back into your device. This can re-initialize the SD card and sometimes clear up issues when the game tries to access the SD card
- If rebooting or re-mounting the SD card doesn't help, the device doesn't solve the problem, you may need to try reinstalling the game (and sometimes rebooting after this also helps).
Corrupt save files (mobile)
Save corruption is rare, but some users occasionally have problems with corrupt saves occurring often. There are a few possible causes and work-arounds.
- Failing storage memory or SD card. A dying SD card or corrupt internal storage on your device can lead to data loss (both for The Bard's Tale saves, and your other files). If you repeatedly experience corrupt save files, try saving to another device or location.
- Sometimes save files can be corrupted due to sync errors (often as a result of an unstable Wi-Fi or data connection). If you are using Google Play Games sign-in and cloud sync with Google Drive, or iCloud Drive backup, you can disable these features for the game and see if that stops save corruption.
- Some users report that repeatedly saving over the same Autosave slot can cause corrupt saves. Disabling Autosave in the game's options can stop this from occurring if this is a problem for you.
Controller doesn't work
On Android, there was no standardized controller support for a long time. The Bard's Tale should work with most compatible HID controllers on newer Android OS versions and devices, however, older ones may not work.
Additionally, make sure you have enough buttons to play the game on your controller - not all controllers have dual analog sticks, shoulder triggers, etc. and those are needed to properly play in controller mode. Anything with similar button layouts to an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 2/3/4 controller should have enough buttons.
For PCs, the game should work with most USB controllers that support XInput or DirectInput, but you might need to map the controls manually in the options menu to get something that works well for you. Third-party programs such as Joy2Key can be useful if you have problems with the built-in controller support.
MOGA controller doesn't work
If you have a MOGA controller and an older Android version (4.x) then you need the MOGA Pivot app for the controller to work in The Bard's Tale
If you are on Android 5.0 or above, MOGA's Pivot app apparently was never updated to support those OS versions and thus won't work. Some MOGA controllers can be switched to HID mode using a switch on the back of the controller, and this should work without additional software; however, some controllers from MOGA do not have an HID switch and therefore may not work on Android 5.0 and above.
I got stuck in a cutscene
This is a bug that goes back to the original release of the game in 2004. What happens is that the followers you do have try to walk to certain spots for the cutscene to continue, but never reach their spots correctly.
In most cases, you can work around this by summoning different followers, or unsummoning your existing followers entirely. This should allow the cutscene to proceed correctly.
Stuck at magic barriers with Mell
This is an issue from the original release of the game (and seems to occur more often on mobile devices). Mell can occasionally get stuck at the magic barriers because he can't get close enough to them to initiate his "fear sequence".
Mell doesn't want to approach the magic barriers when enemies are still firing at him, even if they're not directly visible to you. Using the bow, you can aim precisely and charge up shots to snipe the enemies that are just beyond the camera's range. Eventually you should kill them all and Mell should proceed.
We've also heard from a few users suggesting that restarting the game and loading from an earlier save can also cause this problem to resolve.
Hatcher disappears/gets stuck/dies at Stromness, can't proceed
This is a known rare glitch from the original release of the game, but we ended up putting a work-around into the mobile version to help players get around the problem.
Here are the steps you can follow to resolve this:
- Load the saved game with problem.
- Go to the Pause Menu.
- Select the "Redeem Codes" option.
- Choose "Redeem Other Code".
- Redeem the following code: wgqu@qmnz
- Redeem this code as well: puck@howe
- Go to the world map and the next location should be unlocked
This is a bug in the original game that was never resolved. There is an easy work-around however. Go to the exit of Neverdale and leave to the world map. Re-enter Neverdale from the world map and return to river crossing ferry, and you should be able to proceed.
Objective marker stuck at Finstown
Finstown is an optional area that is not required to finish the rest of the game. The objective marker still appearing after you basically defeated the Vikings is a known bug that can sometimes occur, but it should not prevent you from leaving Finstown and continuing the rest of the game.
How do I use the bow? (touchscreen devices)
You need to tap the Lute icon on the left side of the screen, then tap the Fist icon on the right, and last, tap the bow icon in there. Your Bard should then equip it. Remember that you need to charge up bow shots - tapping quickly won't attack with the bow. Instead you can charge up a shot by tapping and holding down the attack button.
Trouble finding MacRath's castle
If you are having trouble with this sequence, you're probably visiting the wrong place. MacRath's castle ruins aren't in Stromness, but instead they're in the Greenlands. You should find the Greenlands on the world map with a little exploring, and the castle ruins themselves are at the very southern end of the area surrounded by some tombstones.
Invisible enemies in the Island Tower
There are some enemies in the game which look like floating shields and swords, with invisible bodies. This isn't a bug, although sometimes we get questions asking if it is - so now you know! You can attack and defeat them just like any other enemies.
What do the Trow Maps unlock?
The locations on the world map should be immediately accessible, but not all are available right from the start of the game. You should be able to find the first one just northeast of Houton on the world map, for instance, but some of the others you'll need to play longer into the game to find.
The four maps and what they unlock are listed below:
- Ratty Old Map: Unlocks Cairn of Ardagh
- Ancient Parchment: Unlocks Cairn of Carrowmore
- Weather Stained Map: Unlocks Ruins of Emain Macha
- Blood Stained Map: Unlocks Ruins of Tara