The Bard's Tale Remastered - Beta 2.00 Released

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: The Bard's Tale Remastered - Beta 2.00 Released

Post by Drool » July 17th, 2016, 12:16 pm

HawkSlayer wrote:There's no need to delete or mess with anything else as far as resetting the game, as soon as you start the game without "Current.bt1save" it automatically makes another fresh character disk.
Right, but being able to reset the game, from within the game, would be far more convenient than digging down through the File Explorer.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » July 17th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Drool wrote:
HawkSlayer wrote:There's no need to delete or mess with anything else as far as resetting the game, as soon as you start the game without "Current.bt1save" it automatically makes another fresh character disk.
Right, but being able to reset the game, from within the game, would be far more convenient than digging down through the File Explorer.
Agreed, but this is beta territory--it's a beta game atm--so expectations that it be of commercial release quality are unrealistic...;) Rewriting it all from the ground up is going to be a challenge and not the cake walk they possibly thought it would be in the beginning--I'd sooner they work on packaging BT 1 & III (Amiga) with WinUAE; and BTII (IIGS version) with ActiveGS--and do some work there--like add in the automapping & sound effects where needed in the Amiga versions, and/or the IIGS version of BTII, etc.

I dunno...the current "beta" releases seem a lot more like alpha releases to me--but the Win64 rewrite theoretically should be much better than the original versions--but that all depends (very much) on how much time and energy they are willing to put into the remastering...! The potential is there and it is great, imo--so I hope they are going to be up to it...;)

joques
Novice

Post by joques » July 18th, 2016, 1:09 am

I hope that all the niggles will be worked out, but the project does seem to be on the back burner.
Just a few glaringly obvious things from BT1 and BT3 (I have much less experience with BT2, so I leave that one to others)

BT1:
Re-rolling: When creating a character and you press <esc> to reroll, you should be brought back 1 - one - step to race selection, and not two steps to the main menu. Sounds trivial, but makes it a whole lot more cumbersome to spam reroll until you have your perfect character.

Random encounter rate. I don't have the numbers, but the encounter rate seems waaaaay too low. I made five laps of the wine cellar before I even encountered a single enemy. In the city I roamed around without ever being accosted.

Bard songs while travelling don't seem to work.

BT3: The refugee camp needs its own location graphic, the cozy, safe image from the adventurer's guild just won't do. Also, "Enter the city" is not appropriate for exiting the camp.

The game will crash to desktop every single time I try to enter the ruins of Skara Brae.

I run Windows 10, 64 bit.

I expect there are dozens of niggles and more than a few showstopping bugs like crash-to-desk-top-on-entering-Skara-Brae. I mean, is this really the definition of Beta? Isn't this more of an Alpha? I don't mean to be rude, but there seems to be so many structural problems with this build that there's just not a whole lot a lowly tester can do with it.

Edit: Oh, and the text in both BT1 and BT3 has these weird artifacts, horisontal lines above the text at various points. And the automap is really funky, it has lines cropping up that suggest partition walls that don't exist.

Edit 2: Character portraits are identical across all three games, rather than utilizing the unique portraits for each specific game.

joques
Novice

Post by joques » July 18th, 2016, 1:47 am

Oh, as an aside I just checked the MS-DOS version of BT3 (just 3 specifically), and I can't find any option to enter the four-letter code when casting spells, whether or not I initiate spellcasting with the mouse or with the C key. In both cases I am presented with a long and impossible-to-navigate-at-higher-levels spell list.

If anybody here knows a trick I've missed, that lets me enter a four-letter code in the emulated DOS version of BT3, I'd be grateful. I might even prefer to play that version, depending how this version shakes out.
Last edited by joques on July 18th, 2016, 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rubinio
Initiate

Post by Rubinio » July 18th, 2016, 2:13 am

BT1:
Have had multiple crashes on both the 64 and normal client farming the 69 Wights and 36(?) Ghouls in Catacombs Lvl3 (always crashed using DRBR on them). Text stops at some point during damage depiction, the animation in the graphics continues, but there is of course no way to get out of the fight, making a restart of the game necessary.

Addendum to all my bugreports: OS Windows 10, 64bit.
Last edited by Rubinio on July 18th, 2016, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

joques
Novice

Post by joques » July 18th, 2016, 6:07 am

Tested BT3 some more and was completely unable to find a random encounter. It just would not happen, no matter how long I spent roaming around the wilderness.

Breshard
Initiate

Post by Breshard » July 18th, 2016, 8:31 am

There is a fan-made patch for DOS bt3 i found on another website when i replayed the emulated version that allowed the 4 letter codes for spells and fixed a lot of the DOS port bugs. This is probably currently the top version of BT3 as there was never a IIGS version and Amiga one was riddled with bugs.

joques
Novice

Post by joques » July 18th, 2016, 10:07 am

Breshard wrote:There is a fan-made patch for DOS bt3 i found on another website when i replayed the emulated version that allowed the 4 letter codes for spells and fixed a lot of the DOS port bugs. This is probably currently the top version of BT3 as there was never a IIGS version and Amiga one was riddled with bugs.
Yes, I found that patch just now - but I seem to be unable to run it on my Win 10 PC. Would it be presumptuous of me to ask you to do me a huge favour and send me a patched .exe for DOS BT3, for instance via a public Dropbox folder?

Breshard
Initiate

Post by Breshard » July 18th, 2016, 10:19 am

Don't have an account on dropbox or any other filehosting site but if you pm me an email i'll send the one i have. Not sure why the one you had wouldn't work, it worked for me on Windows 10 i'm pretty sure, unless I played before i upgraded, can't really recall now.

joques
Novice

Post by joques » July 18th, 2016, 11:30 am

PM sent!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 18th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Breshard wrote:This is probably currently the top version of BT3 as there was never a IIGS version and Amiga one was riddled with bugs.
I'd go C64, personally, as the DOS version was also riddled with bugs, from minor like the Bard songs being wrong (the effects are correct by song, but the wrong midi plays) to serious like the Stoneblade not actually working, to practically gamebreaking like Harmonic Gems pretty much never dropping while simultaneously having an encounter rate that's through the roof.
waltc wrote:Agreed, but this is beta territory--it's a beta game atm--so expectations that it be of commercial release quality are unrealistic...
Indeed, but it's still appropriate to request features at this stage.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

joques
Novice

Post by joques » July 18th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Drool wrote: I'd go C64, personally, as the DOS version was also riddled with bugs, from minor like the Bard songs being wrong (the effects are correct by song, but the wrong midi plays) to serious like the Stoneblade not actually working, to practically gamebreaking like Harmonic Gems pretty much never dropping while simultaneously having an encounter rate that's through the roof.
The patch in question is supposed to have solved all those bugs as well :-)

joques
Novice

Post by joques » July 18th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Check out this thread by the guy who made the patch.

http://bardstale.brotherhood.de/talefil ... 9fe622cd24

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » July 18th, 2016, 2:00 pm

joques wrote:Check out this thread by the guy who made the patch.

Nice thread!

The Matrix Dragon
Initiate

Post by The Matrix Dragon » July 18th, 2016, 5:51 pm

The save game file in
/users/XXXXX/AppData/Roaming/Olde Skuul/Bards Tale Trilogy
called
Current.bt1save

Is your character disk. That will reset the game if you just rename it. Same as copying the character disk in the old school versions. Garth's shop, your characters/gold are all there. The import/export characters options aren't there but I think that's because it's built in native now

(J)ump to another realm

Replaces importing toons(though she kinda said in the past she would still allow imports from old saved characters)..

There's no need to delete or mess with anything else as far as resetting the game, as soon as you start the game without "Current.bt1save" it automatically makes another fresh character disk.

Also, depending on your version of Windows, you can literally double click the current.bt1save file and it will load bard's tale up :P

Where is the save file located in Windows 10?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 19th, 2016, 7:15 am

Nice find on that patch. Will definitely be adding that download/link to BTO's patch listing. And the author seems to be regularly keeping it touched up too, which is great.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

joques
Novice

Post by joques » July 19th, 2016, 7:53 am

Great! I was worried this talk of DOS BT3 was too far off-topic, but great that more people will find it useful. Also, the discussion on that board might be held up as a checklist against Olde Skuul's port, to see if everything is working as it should.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 19th, 2016, 1:33 pm

joques wrote:Check out this thread by the guy who made the patch.

My goodness, but that's a lot of fixes.

Of course, I never noticed Tarjan not working properly because I always cast PREC first thing to keep him from summoning those damn Slayers anyway.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Castinar
Initiate

Post by Castinar » July 26th, 2016, 7:09 pm

I've just finished the Sewers in Skara Brae (BT1), and have noticed a few things:
1) Love the auto-mapping function -- however at the moment some things show up on the map prior to player knowledge (specifically "Secret doors" and illusionary walls are visible on the auto-map prior to discovery).
2) Would love the added functionality on the auto map to mark special areas (stairs/portals, areas of darkness, anti-magic fields, etc.). Of course, they should only show up when discovered :) (on a side note....squares that teleport you to another area on the map are specifically knotty problems --- I remember in the original having to start a side map until I could match areas and merge the maps --- not sure how to do that w/ the automap, but right now when teleported you are automatically "mapping" the correct spot)
3) I don't think that locate traps or scry sight are working --- at least I don't remember having any traps or stairs picked out by those spells, even when facing known stairs. (I'll have to follow up on this when I enter the catacombs).

That's all for now (other than reported known issues --- hoping bard songs get fixed soon....I miss some of the travelling songs!)

So far, great effort on the remastered edition --- KUTGW!

joques
Novice

Post by joques » July 27th, 2016, 3:13 am

About your #2 there: There is a lvl 1 Magician spell that will spell out for you which tile you are on :) When you see the tell-tale flicker that means you've been teleported, cast SCSI and pinpoint your new location. No need for tedious map merging ;)