The Bard's Tale Remastered - Beta 2.00 Released

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

sear
Developer

The Bard's Tale Remastered - Beta 2.00 Released

Post by sear » March 14th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Hello all,

Today we are happy to debut the second beta release of The Bard's Tale I-III Classic Trilogy Remastered (or BT Remastered for short). We have previously worked with our community to great effect when it comes to launching beta versions of our games, and now we are doing it again to give our most hardcore fans an early taste of the BT Remastered series which Olde Skuul is working on.

To access the BT Remastered beta release, visit the Bard's Tale backer web site and then go to your Rewards page. From there, look for your reward package which includes BT Remastered, and click the "Downloads" button to the right-hand side of the reward listing. You will see a button labeled "Beta 2.00" - click it to begin downloading.

As mentioned, this is a beta release, so you will encounter bugs. Currently, only Windows is playable, but you can play all three classic Bard's Tale games now and see some of the updates and improvements being made.

Bug Reporting
Both we and Olde Skuul would greatly appreciate any bug reports you can provide. You are welcome to post them in this thread as a reply or make a new thread in this forum section.

When doing so, please state the problem and desired behavior clearly, including specific steps to reproduce the bug and screenshots or videos if possible. Bug reports will be sent directly to Olde SKuul for review and processing, so the more detail we get, the better.

dblade
Initiate

Re: The Bard's Tale Remastered - Beta Now Available

Post by dblade » March 14th, 2016, 7:13 pm

char select for pool gold at temple or manual cast spell seems to only work on num pad and not the regular set of numbers also those prompts do not respond to mouse click on char name.

os windows 10

KorganBloodAxe
Initiate

Post by KorganBloodAxe » March 15th, 2016, 3:16 am

Played around for a bit and the map really needs to be a toggle with the map key "/". Right now every time you want it to close you have press "Esc" which is on the other side of the keyboard, Very annoying!!!

HawkSlayer
Novice

Post by HawkSlayer » March 15th, 2016, 3:37 am

First bug, press escape to reroll. After creating character
Esc key does nothing. I have to actually pick a class and then esc and then create character/pick race again to reroll

Desired behavior would be to either press 'Esc' or 'spacebar' to reroll those stats till they look sexy and then pick class

(where are the saves going?)

SK_1759
Novice

Post by SK_1759 » March 15th, 2016, 6:22 am

When creating a character. There is an option to reroll stats by pushing ESC. This does not work. Nothing happens. I can go on to choose a class, but I cannot reroll stats. When mousing over the ESC option the hand icon changes to a pointing finger, but when I click nothing happens as well.

SK_1759
Novice

Post by SK_1759 » March 15th, 2016, 9:27 am

The '/' could use a toggle, but it's not annoying to go for the ESC key. However when the map is up there mouse pointer is no longer visible or usable within the game until you exit map mode.
KorganBloodAxe wrote:Played around for a bit and the map really needs to be a toggle with the map key "/". Right now every time you want it to close you have press "Esc" which is on the other side of the keyboard, Very annoying!!!

sear
Developer

Post by sear » March 15th, 2016, 11:25 am

dblade wrote:char select for pool gold at temple or manual cast spell seems to only work on num pad and not the regular set of numbers also those prompts do not respond to mouse click on char name.

os windows 10
I was unable to reproduce this on my system using the 64-bit executable. Top number keys and mouse clicks worked fine for me. Any other info as to your system or game setup? For instance, are you using the default party or a custom made one?

I also reported the reroll issue and a number of input issues I came across, thanks guys!

sear
Developer

Post by sear » March 15th, 2016, 11:51 am

HawkSlayer wrote:(where are the saves going?)
For me it was at: %appdata%\Olde Sküül\Bards Tale Trilogy

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 15th, 2016, 12:16 pm

The file structure accepts umlauts? Neat.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

ScottMacFar
Initiate

Post by ScottMacFar » March 15th, 2016, 1:15 pm

I'm getting a popup telling me Windows 10 is worried to run the program due to it being from an unknown developer. After the emulated versions came with a Trojan, I'm skeptical to push the "run anyway" button. Isn't anyone else seeing this?

kellqjdk
Initiate

Post by kellqjdk » March 15th, 2016, 1:42 pm

OK -Pool gold does not work. I can pool all gold to the character in slot 5 but not away from him. This is also the case in the tempel using the pool gold option.

kellqjdk
Initiate

Post by kellqjdk » March 15th, 2016, 1:44 pm

In battle the text is passing so fast that you have no chance of reading it.

Tuoweit
Novice

Post by Tuoweit » March 15th, 2016, 2:54 pm

kellqjdk wrote:OK -Pool gold does not work. I can pool all gold to the character in slot 5 but not away from him. This is also the case in the tempel using the pool gold option.
Yeah having a similar issue - I was able to pool the gold "once" (which only took some of the gold and missed 2 of my party who still had gold), but pooling didn't work at all after that. Trading gold between players works fine.

Tuoweit
Novice

Post by Tuoweit » March 15th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Garth's Shop doesn't show which items are unusable for the character who is shopping.

SK_1759
Novice

Post by SK_1759 » March 15th, 2016, 3:30 pm

There is a file in the %appdata%\Olde Sküül\Bards Tale Trilogy directory called preferences.ini
There is a variable for CombatDelay. I wonder if increasing this would increase the text scrolling delay.
kellqjdk wrote:In battle the text is passing so fast that you have no chance of reading it.

Tuoweit
Novice

Post by Tuoweit » March 15th, 2016, 3:32 pm

SK_1759 wrote:There is a file in the %appdata%\Olde Sküül\Bards Tale Trilogy directory called preferences.ini
There is a variable for CombatDelay. I wonder if increasing this would increase the text scrolling delay.
kellqjdk wrote:In battle the text is passing so fast that you have no chance of reading it.
You can press the left arrow key during the text scrolling to slow it down (the setting persists between combats). Right arrow key speeds it up again.

Tuoweit
Novice

Post by Tuoweit » March 15th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Playing a Bard song while not in combat appears to do nothing - no music, no effect, no throats dried (songs used up). Bard songs in combat do seem to work. (Using a Flute, if that makes any difference.)

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » March 15th, 2016, 5:26 pm

ScottMacFar wrote:I'm getting a popup telling me Windows 10 is worried to run the program due to it being from an unknown developer. After the emulated versions came with a Trojan, I'm skeptical to push the "run anyway" button. Isn't anyone else seeing this?
The emulated version does not have a trojan. In fact: I've given everyone express consent to reverse engineer the start.windows.exe in question, so they can confirm what I am saying is true [instructions are in a prior thread]. :lol:

Some "basic level" anti-virus products report every batch PE [Portable Executable] as a false positive; they have simple scanning engines and don't actually look beyond the header data of *.exe files. VirusTotal Report
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

wmgrace
Initiate

Post by wmgrace » March 15th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Awesome job, guys!

Tried both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions and I find that some of the keys behave differently between shifted/caps and normal. Specifically, the IJKL movement keys only function when shifted/caps-lock. However, the direction keys do work as expected in the map view.

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to quit without going to the adventurer's guild. If I close the app, it just resumes where I was when I reopen it. Should be a way to dump out which causes a loss of gold and progress.

Qoojo
Initiate

Post by Qoojo » March 15th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Press ESC to reroll does not work for me either. Win 10 64 bit. Can't click on it either.