Who is ready for Bard's Tale Remastered???

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Who is ready for Bard's Tale Remastered???

Post by Drool » August 22nd, 2016, 1:18 pm

jrodman wrote:For Bard's Tale 3 though, not sure what the base will be. Perhaps The Burger has the IIgs version in mothballs somewhere without all the nasty DOS & Amiga bugs.
My hope is the C64 version, but I don't think that'll be the case. I believe she still has all her source code, which may include the unfinished IIgs version.

I really, really, really wish she'd include the C64 opening to BT3. That's still my favorite, with the Bard conjuring up visuals while he sang.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » August 23rd, 2016, 1:45 am

I'm not really sure why you'd want the remaster to resemble the c64 version closely. You can always play the c64 version.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 23rd, 2016, 1:44 pm

I can always play the Apple or the Amiga or the DOS version too.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » August 25th, 2016, 1:58 am

My points were twofold:

1 - The c64 version is not particularly bad in any way (there are some minor quest flaws that also exist in apple 8bit)
2 - I don't think most people want the remaster to closely resemble any particular version visually

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » August 25th, 2016, 5:27 pm

All of us old fans probably have a favorite version of the game from childhood and probably have some trouble accepting other versions with very different graphics. I know that I've always had trouble accepting the DOS version of the game - the colors feel all wrong to me.

Probably too much work for a remaster, but a theme selector would be nifty. Choose between C64, DOS, or IIgs graphics.... That would get people past the Familiarity Effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect).
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 26th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Personally, I hoped that she'd go a mix-and-match route. That would also help with the issue of multiple enemies having the same image. Instead of curs and wolves and shade hounds all using the same image, one could use the Apple image, one the C64 image and one the DOS image. Gives you more variety without completely creating new assets.

Also, I mostly just want her to dig out and polish up the C64 intro to BT3. I think the Commodore had the best intro for the game (much like it had the best Wasteland intro). Instead of just the song lyrics next to a mostly-static bard image, you had him conjuring a little video to go with the song.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » August 27th, 2016, 2:04 pm

The DOS version of bard's tale just has no charm of its own in comparison to the other systems. The Apple 8bit and C64 versions are super low fi but have a certain charm with spooky spectres, demons and a wider variety of images. The DOS graphics are pretty clearly downpaletted versions of the IIgs/Amiga graphics, and look bizarre with strange purple and green people.

As for intros, I was kind of amazed at the Destiny Knight intro for C64 when it was first released. In hindsight it's not particularly special, but animation on computers over ~3 seconds long was new to me then.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 27th, 2016, 3:23 pm

Well, yeah. The only reason anyone plays the DOS version is because they're the easiest to get and use via DOS Box.

Of course, now I'm wondering why the C64 always go the best intros. Or, in the case of Wasteland, the only intro.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 29th, 2016, 2:34 am

Probably the SID chip.

joques
Novice

Post by joques » August 29th, 2016, 3:37 am

Drool wrote:Well, yeah. The only reason anyone plays the DOS version is because they're the easiest to get and use via DOS Box.
Not quite. The more important reason is no load times :) I've tried emulating both the Amiga and the C64 and I was laughing through my tears at the loading times.

cparker94
Novice

Post by cparker94 » October 18th, 2016, 9:55 am

What''s the latest with the Bard's Tale Remastered project????

Originally Rebecca told me that she expected the remastered version to be finished in October. OF LAST YEAR! Sounds like to me that the project was a lot more difficult than expected causing more time and headaches. There also seems to be so many bugs with the beta version that a polished product should never be expected. Maybe the Remastered project has been abandoned? I hope it is not the case but hopefully someone will prove that is still alive.

Craig from Texas

ZZGO
Acolyte

Post by ZZGO » October 19th, 2016, 2:39 am

Yeah... an update would be welcome at least to inform us wheter or not the Remastered Edition is still being worked on? I would love to play it once it is finished and debugged.

ryanmusante
Initiate

Post by ryanmusante » October 24th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Ready as ever! Happy to be here!

JasonJoel
Initiate

Post by JasonJoel » December 31st, 2016, 8:02 am

I'm guessing this effort is dead at this point, and we've gotten all we are going to get. A shame, really.

And I'm sure due to copyright and ownership issues they can't even release it to the community for another developer to finish. Even more of a shame since about 75% of the known issues could probably be fixed fairly quickly by the community.

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » December 31st, 2016, 11:35 am

Burger is allegedly providing updated releases to people who connect via social media. Don't know whether we will see any more releases as part of our "exclusive access" to the remasters via inXile backer rewards though. Given how buggy the releases I've seen so far have been, I don't even really care at this point, aside from on principle that the contract between inXile and Olde Skuul should be honored. The emulated versions still work for me when I get the occasional BT craving.

That said, if Burger has lost all desire to work on the remasters and it could be arranged to open source the code, I would be happy to fork a repo and make fixes in my spare time.
cmibl<enter>

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 1st, 2017, 12:03 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:... aside from on principle that the contract between inXile and Olde Skuul should be honored.
Not being public, most [none?] of us know what that contract stipulated; (or if there even was one). Does anyone here really know?

** The assumption I had, was payment on delivery of the series; [not per milestone/ or per episode]. Perhaps that's just not tenable for Olde Skuul at this time; and/or was a misunderstanding from the start.

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » January 1st, 2017, 2:38 pm

Gizmo wrote:
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:... aside from on principle that the contract between inXile and Olde Skuul should be honored.
Not being public, most [none?] of us know what that contract stipulated; (or if there even was one). Does anyone here really know?
inXile has mentioned that there was an agreement (viewtopic.php?f=44&t=16179#p176506). Whether that was verbal or a formal contract, I don't know; but, it would be bad business for it to be anything other than a formal contract. Also we know that the agreement stipulated that payment would be delivered once the game was finished:
sear wrote:Olde Skuul and inXile both agreed to terms where payment would be delivered once the game was finished. Those terms haven't changed, and we look forward to the game's completion.
cmibl<enter>

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 1st, 2017, 3:13 pm

"The game" as used, (to me) seems to imply "the series"; as in the full set of three. The demo we've seen is a single windows application ~ostensibly with a choice of three Bard's Tale adventures in it.

It would not surprise me if it turned out that InXile expected the complete finished product before giving [lump] payment, while the developer may have expected to be paid piecemeal at the completion of each of the three separate titles. But that is only my [uninformed] speculation.

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » January 1st, 2017, 3:26 pm

Sure, there is plenty of room for speculation here. Keeping in mind that Olde Skuul has stated that it developed an engine capable of playing all three of the games in the original series, the game could just as easily refer that game engine rather than any particular game in the series. I would not treat sear's comments as a verbatim duplication of the exact legal language of the agreement.
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 2nd, 2017, 10:50 pm

Gizmo wrote:It would not surprise me if it turned out that InXile expected the complete finished product before giving [lump] payment, while the developer may have expected to be paid piecemeal at the completion of each of the three separate titles. But that is only my [uninformed] speculation.
Well, yeah, but BT1 ain't finished either. Or, if it is, it's buggier than Fallout 2.
Alwa nasci korliri das.