BT1 Legacy: Bracers

For all discussion on all the previous The Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980's games (The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous The Bard's Tale ARPG (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

angelsfury77
Initiate

BT1 Legacy: Bracers

Post by angelsfury77 »

Running through a Legacy game with volume differences enabled, I have been unable to find Bracers (Mithril or Adamant) anywhere. I've seen video confirmations of their existence in games with differences disabled, but not with. Can anyone confirm, and if so what their level ranges are? I know where they generally used to be found, but I've run too many encounters (KT, M1 for example) for RNG to be thaaaaat bad...
Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: BT1 Legacy: Bracers

Post by Drool »

Mmm... I believe Legacy for BT1 uses the weird drop tables from the original code, which hard locks gear based on the level of the dungeon you're in. It looks like Bracers [6] can drop in Sewers 3, Catacombs 1-3, and Harkyn's 1. Bracers [4] can drop in Kylearan's Tower, Mangar's 1, and Harkyn's 2-3. So, you should be getting something unless your luck is exceptionally awful.

I'm afraid I didn't focus too much on BT1 (I was the BT3 guy), but I'll see if I can dig up something for you.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
angelsfury77
Initiate

Post by angelsfury77 »

That was my thought as well. I also wondered if the renaming of the bracers might have created a problem with the tables when legacy was implemented.
Ether
Scholar

Post by Ether »

Somewhat related to this - and yes, I could probably Google this to find the answer - what exactly are Bracers anyways?
I've never figured this out in any game that I've played, other than it's some sort of armor that a mage can wear.

I've visioned them as something like the bracelets Wonder Woman wears, but I know that's probably not correct.
Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo »

Ether wrote: January 10th, 2021, 8:45 am...what exactly are Bracers anyways?
I've never figured this out in any game that I've played, other than it's some sort of armor that a mage can wear.

I've visioned them as something like the bracelets Wonder Woman wears, but I know that's probably not correct.
Ether
Scholar

Post by Ether »

Lol....I was actually right! Thanks!
Hard to believe that would help anyone in combat, except maybe a monk
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Well, at least in D&D, they're magical items, so it makes as much sense as a Ring of Protection.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
ZZGO
Scholar

Post by ZZGO »

They're armor for your arms. And depending on your fighting style, your arm is the part closest to your opponent and thus in greatest danger of being hit (well, the arm and the hands - that's where gauntlets come in). Depending on how they're made, bracers can even serve as a target shield of sorts.
I was trained in real swordfighting back in the day, and in our group we were required to have hand protection and strongly encouraged to have arm protection. It does make a difference.

Return to “The Bard's Tale Trilogy & ARPG”