When should we be expecting the remastered Destiny Knight?

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

When should we be expecting the remastered Destiny Knight?

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 7th, 2018, 1:57 am

I have now moved house and have only reconnected to internet today on wireless modem. I was expecting the next remastered instalment around last Sunday/Monday. Still not sure if Crowd Ox have sent the next link, but the launcher didn't present anything different either. BTW, does anybody know the if the remastered game uses up much data, because my connection is metered now that's it's wireless.

ad1066
Scholar

Re: When should we be expecting the remastered Destiny Knight?

Post by ad1066 » September 7th, 2018, 9:43 am

My guys just killed Mangar last night, and I am eagerly awaiting the next installment.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

Zadkiel
Scholar

Post by Zadkiel » September 7th, 2018, 10:05 am

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 1:57 am
I was expecting the next remastered instalment around last Sunday/Monday.
Why? I mean even if you take their date of 'autumn 2018' and assume it's the very first day of autumn (not a reasonable assumption) that would be 23rd September. I'm not expecting it any time in the next month, probably 2, if for no other reason that Inxile won't want a release of BT2 detracting in any way from their release of BT4 and muddying any advertising, marketing or PR around that release.
Still not sure if Crowd Ox have sent the next link, but the launcher didn't present anything different either. BTW,
The game you have on steam or GOG is called 'The Bards Tale Trilogy' and will update to contain BT2 & 3 as they release. If you have the original key from CrowdOx then there will be nothing more to do with them.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 7th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
BTW, does anybody know the if the remastered game uses up much data, because my connection is metered now that's it's wireless.
Pulling up my library on my phone, it looks like the Trilogy is 22.4MB. So, even if BT2 was as big as BT1 and the framework and engine, it'd still be under 50MB. Unless your internet is extremely limited, it shouldn't be a problem downloading the BT2 update.

Unless you mean while playing, in which case it uses 0MB because it's not an online game.
Zadkiel wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 10:05 am
The game you have on steam or GOG is called 'The Bards Tale Trilogy' and will update to contain BT2 & 3 as they release.
Correct. All three games are integrated into one package. No further keys will be needed for 2 and 3, the existing game will just update with their data when ready.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 7th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
Still not sure if Crowd Ox have sent the next link, but the launcher didn't present anything different either. BTW,
The game you have on steam or GOG is called 'The Bards Tale Trilogy' and will update to contain BT2 & 3 as they release. If you have the original key from CrowdOx then there will be nothing more to do with them.
I figured it may work that way, but thanks for letting me know anyway.

SK_1759
Acolyte

Post by SK_1759 » September 7th, 2018, 11:11 pm

I thought I read that 1.09 would be the last patch for BT1 until they release BT2. So given how fast they worked on the patches up to 1.09, I'm thinking November sometime at the latest. But I'm hoping for October. Either way, I know it will be great.

Dcdoc45
Novice

Post by Dcdoc45 » September 30th, 2018, 1:21 pm

gonna bump this thread so it does not get lost in the shuffle.

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » October 8th, 2018, 9:45 pm

As of October 2, MaDPuPPeT, tagged as a developer on the Steam forums, said that Destiny Knight is basically finished and is in QA. They want to get it out as soon as possible, but also want to get enough QA time to make a smooth and bug-free launch. Thus, he estimated at least 2 weeks more.

Personally, if I get it before November comes along I'll be thrilled. Oh, who am I kidding, I'll be thrilled whenever I get it.

Here is the thread
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

Zadkiel
Scholar

Post by Zadkiel » October 10th, 2018, 10:20 am

rakenan wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 9:45 pm
Here is the thread
A requester comes up asking if you'd like to keep the characters as is, or reset them to level 1 for a full play experience.

if you keep them as is, you keep all your levels and stats and all non-quest items for all characters in your roster.

If you reset them, then every character in your roster is rest to lv1 but given maximum race points for each stat (as if you had a perfect roll) and all equipment is removed and the party is reset to 1200 gold. So you can have a full playthrough, without having to roll the characters again.
Interesting. If you're a hardened min-maxer and willing to grind back up from level 1, you'll actually end up with stronger characters, with better HP/SP and better stats than converting over with the levels. My level 29 party with 18s in all stats would be much higher than 18s when they got back to level 29 again.

Hmmmmm

rmcoen
Acolyte

Post by rmcoen » October 11th, 2018, 5:38 am

Is it sad that I am actually tempted by that option? Even after working and grinding to get to level 25+, with all the right stuff... Hmm, max stats...

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » October 11th, 2018, 7:13 pm

I don't think there's much benefit to starting over from scratch in Destiny Knight. Stats still cap at 18, so all you'd gain is the better HP and SP gains from leveling up with perfect Int and Con from the start. Even then, stats are set to your race maximum at the start, not the actual max of 18, so you still won't get all that much benefit.

The reset mostly benefits people who don't want to start with super powerful characters, but instead want to start the game at low level and work their way up.

Now, for Thief of Fate it might be different. Starting with your racial max stats could make more benefit for you when your stats don't max at 18. I don't think it would be that huge, but it would be a real benefit. Plus, Thief of Fate didn't allow the Spectre Snare to be imported, so if the remaster is faithful to that, the most powerful equip you would lose from a reset would be stripped away anyway.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 11th, 2018, 9:06 pm

But porting over to BT3 would cut out the biggest grind: getting tough enough to take on Brilhasti ap Tarj.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

KorganBloodAxe
Novice

Post by KorganBloodAxe » October 11th, 2018, 11:08 pm

rakenan wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 7:13 pm
I don't think there's much benefit to starting over from scratch in Destiny Knight. Stats still cap at 18, so all you'd gain is the better HP and SP gains from leveling up with perfect Int and Con from the start. Even then, stats are set to your race maximum at the start, not the actual max of 18, so you still won't get all that much benefit.
I think you are making an assumption here. It hasn't been confirmed they still cap at 18 in part 2. Whilst it is likely it is still 18, they could make the cap slightly higher or halfway between 2 and 3. This seems logical given that otherwise importing from 1 through to 3 without leaving the adventurers guild in part 2, when taking the reset option, would be exactly the same as playing all the way through 2 and then resetting into 3 (unless they change the reset system for part 3. Which is also possible I guess.

Zadkiel
Scholar

Post by Zadkiel » October 12th, 2018, 2:14 am

rakenan wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 7:13 pm
Stats still cap at 18
Why would they change that? Stat cap in BT2 in the originals was 25. 30 in BT3. At least that's my memory of it, guess I could be wrong, it has been a long time....

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » October 13th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Pretty sure the stat cap was 18 in the first 2 games, and increased only in BT3. I could be remembering wrongly too, it has been a long time.

Even if BT2 has a higher stat cap, though, resetting would still give minimal benefit. You still only get 13 fast levels for warrior classes, after which all levels cost the same. Thus, all stats from levels 14 onward for reset characters would cost the same amount of experience as stats for imported maxed out characters. Importing from BT1 to BT3 directly would be significantly worse than stopping in BT2 to gain stats, but otherwise it just wouldn't matter much.

Resetting isn't likely to be a significant increase in power. It's very likely, however, to be a more interesting experience from starting at the very beginning each time, while maintaining a sense of continuity since it's the same characters each game.

KorganBloodAxe
Novice

Post by KorganBloodAxe » October 23rd, 2018, 4:14 pm

The stat cap for BT2 in the remaster is 20. I have confirmed this by leveling up 9 times with my wizard and ending up with 20 in everything except 19 in strength. I then did this a second time and got a similar result.

Zadkiel
Scholar

Post by Zadkiel » October 23rd, 2018, 8:31 pm

Stat increases above 18 also appear to grant additional benefits - while I have only been able to confirm this with Dex so far decreasing AC from 18 to 19, I presume from this that 19&20 Con and Int grant additional HP and SP on level up - so there is some benefir here for going the level 1 with max stats route and re-levelling your characters

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » October 23rd, 2018, 11:17 pm

The benefit is largely illusionary. Imported characters will be well behind native characters at the same amount of experience, but will be well ahead of native characters with the same amount of played time in BT2. The advantage of being able to get Constitution and Intelligence up to 20 before capping out all your other stats is fairly minor. The benefit of starting at a high level with all stats at 18 already is massive.

Level costs stop escalating after level 13 or 14. Past that, imported and native characters cost the same to level, so it's not like your native characters will be gaining dozens of levels for every 1 level your imported characters get. It will be the same speed for both. The advantage for casters will be larger, since they get so many more relatively fast and cheap levels from class changing that they can really benefit from early stat boosts, but even there I seriously doubt the benefit will come close to matching the advantage of being level 30+ with hundreds of spell points.

If you just want your characters to end up as powerful as possible when fully maxed in level, native - or rather, imported and reset - characters are the way to go. If you want your characters to be as powerful as possible throughout the game but don't intend to try to grind your way to the level cap, import your party from BT1 to BT2 and then (probably) to BT3.