Automap stopped working after teleporting in Catacombs lvl 3

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Sludig
Initiate

Automap stopped working after teleporting in Catacombs lvl 3

Post by Sludig » September 9th, 2018, 8:58 am

The title pretty much says it all. I was in level 3 of the catacombs, after teleporting the automap disappeared, and never came back (even after exiting to Skara Brae). I've tried Scry Sight, quitting and reloading the game. Nothing seems to work. Is this a bug, or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any advice.

rakenan
Scholar

Re: Automap stopped working after teleporting in Catacombs lvl 3

Post by rakenan » September 9th, 2018, 6:17 pm

The automap, or the minimap? If you press "j" does your automap screen not show up? If you press "m" does your minimap not show up? Or is it both?
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

Sludig
Initiate

Post by Sludig » September 9th, 2018, 7:41 pm

I meant mini-map, and pressing m fixed it. Thank you. I thought I tried that before, but obviously I didn't. :P

shmerl
Scholar

Post by shmerl » September 13th, 2018, 8:08 am

Is the working minimap kind of wrong, if automap stops working? I.e. disorientation should affect the minimap too IMHO.

gibble_fenwick
Initiate

Post by gibble_fenwick » October 1st, 2018, 8:49 pm

When you step on a teleport square, the mini-map disappears and is replaced by a flashing question mark.
(You would also note that your position marker won't be shown on the Journal map.)
If you cast Scry Site, your position is now known, so position marker and mini-map are both restored to normal operation.
Otherwise, after about 10 steps, the mini-map reappears as if you have re-oriented yourself based on your surroundings.

I suspect what happened is that you noticed the mini-map had disappeared and pressed 'm' intending to turn it on, but actually turned it off.
When you cast Scry Site, your position marker would have been restored on the Journal, but mini-map remained turned off.

Something else worth noting is that, after stepping on a teleport square: if you cast Scry Site before moving, then the Journal map will be updated to show the destination of the teleport square with a 'landing marker'. And if you mouse-over either the teleport or landing marker a line showing the link will be displayed.