GDC Classic Game Post-Mortem: The Bard's Tale 1 & 2

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

phimseto
Developer

GDC Classic Game Post-Mortem: The Bard's Tale 1 & 2

Post by phimseto » December 4th, 2017, 9:05 am

Hopefully this ends up on GDC Vault so you can all enjoy it.
Game Developers Conference 2018 officials are thrilled to announce that a game industry veteran is coming to the show to deliver a fascinating look back at one of the foundational pillars of the role-playing game genre.

Dr. Michael Cranford, a multi-talented game designer and programmer who has done significant work both within the game industry and without, will be at GDC 2018 in San Francisco next March to present a postmortem look at the making of The Bard's Tale I & II!
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/310 ... s_Tale.php

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: GDC Classic Game Post-Mortem: The Bard's Tale 1 & 2

Post by thebruce » December 4th, 2017, 9:42 am

Ah man, I'd really love to make it to that event. GDC is so expensive though. =/ I would certainly travel to be a part of this event!
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 4th, 2017, 12:54 pm

...I assume the talk will be uploaded to YouTube for the rest of us to see?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » December 4th, 2017, 1:13 pm

The Classic Post-Mortems generally do make it to Youtube, so I imagine so.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » December 4th, 2017, 1:19 pm

This is pretty neat news. 8-)

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » December 4th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Pretty cool. And, at least from the abstract, it's hard to tell if there are going to be any Bard's Tale 4 apologetics. I.e., "the game we actually wanted to make would've been like BT 4, if the technology had been available". I guess we'll have to see.
cmibl<enter>

ZiN
Explorer

Post by ZiN » December 4th, 2017, 10:41 pm

Interesting, I'd definitely watch the video, always glad to hear the thoughts of legendary developers of dungeon-crawlers. I hope Rebecca Heineman will get invited to this event also (seeing how BT1-3 Remastered is strongly relevant).
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
December 4th, 2017, 5:09 pm
It's hard to tell if there are going to be any Bard's Tale 4 apologetics. I.e., "the game we actually wanted to make would've been like BT 4, if the technology had been available". I guess we'll have to see.
No, the game they wanted to make was Wizardry with better graphics. And they succeeded with that, no doubt.
I wonder if Maze Master will get mentioned, and as how today's technology would allow to create even more awesome level design, provided the talent. I'm curious whether BT4 will blow my mind with awesome multi-dimensional labyrinthine dungeon levels with many puzzles, or will it be yet another corridor walking simulator with interactive movies.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » December 5th, 2017, 4:35 pm

ZiN wrote:
December 4th, 2017, 10:41 pm
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
December 4th, 2017, 5:09 pm
It's hard to tell if there are going to be any Bard's Tale 4 apologetics. I.e., "the game we actually wanted to make would've been like BT 4, if the technology had been available". I guess we'll have to see.
No, the game they wanted to make was Wizardry with better graphics. And they succeeded with that, no doubt.
I wonder if Maze Master will get mentioned, and as how today's technology would allow to create even more awesome level design, provided the talent.
ZiN, Brian Fargo has previously said that BT would have turned out differently, if they had access to better technology. I was taking a dig at that. As in, hoping that Cranford doesn't say something similar.
cmibl<enter>