Favorite Item

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Ether
Scholar

Favorite Item

Post by Ether » August 5th, 2017, 12:44 pm

In doing my Spectre Snare experiment, I realized that the Bard's Tale series isn't really an item centric series.
In that I mean, being able to move on to a more difficult dungeon doesn't seem to depend on getting better equipment; it generally relies far more on reaching a certain level first.

(Guess one could try to work that out at some point....for example, who lasts longer in Harkyn's Castle: A Level 16 Warrior with Scale Armor or a Level 6 Warrior with Diamond Plate?)

Nevertheless, there are a few noteworthy items in the series.
What's everyone's favorite?
(while you can include unique items, I think the discussion is better served with random items)

I have a few I could list, but I'll check out a few responses first.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Favorite Item

Post by Drool » August 8th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Well, the nospin ring was always a classic item.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 9th, 2017, 5:52 am

I still call it 'noss-pin'. Can't get past the fact I never put two and two together :P
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Ether
Scholar

Post by Ether » August 10th, 2017, 8:51 am

thebruce wrote:
August 9th, 2017, 5:52 am
I still call it 'noss-pin'. Can't get past the fact I never put two and two together :P
I can't remember when I figured it out but it definitely was well after 1987.

My thought when I posted this is that the Nospin wouldn't be a favorite, but probably the most necessary from a sanity standpoint.
Even if it does represent a design flaw in the series,but that's another discussion.

Back to the items, as a kid the Fire Horn was my favorite, since I was so utterly dependent on it. Oddly, I barely used it playing the game on the Kindle.

Now, I would say it's the staffs that regenerate spell points or reduce spell cost.
Spent a bunch of time trying to farm them when I played Bt 3, but to no avail.

As for unique items, I guess I would have to say the Sword of Zar. I don't know why. Maybe because I was utterly disappointed when it didn't crossover to bt 3, even if it would have become quickly useless.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 10th, 2017, 9:25 pm

thebruce wrote:
August 9th, 2017, 5:52 am
I still call it "nose pin".
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

ZZGO
Acolyte

Post by ZZGO » August 12th, 2017, 2:38 pm

I have to mention Lak's Lyre here. It is iirc found in the first or second level of the sewers, and it is the first item that you can get which grants unlimited Bard songs. As such, acquiring one is a watershed moment in the game: Through endlessly playing the healing tune in (P)arty Combat, you can suddenly replenish all hit points between encounters. This has cascading effects on spell point usage and tactical combat, and buffs the party's strategic endurance by leaps and bounds all of a sudden.