The Bard's Tale Remastered - Beta 2.00 Released

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Ragoth
Initiate

Re: The Bard's Tale Remastered - Beta 2.00 Released

Post by Ragoth » October 9th, 2016, 7:51 am

ZZGO wrote: - I've noticed that statues don't seem to respawn when you switch between the city and a dungeon, though the Samurai statue did respawn once (and only once) for me.
All statues respawn whenever you enter and leave the Adventurers Guild.

tarasis
Initiate

Post by tarasis » October 16th, 2016, 3:11 pm

zenoen wrote:I wouldn't be suprised to find out Rebecca Heinemann is focusing on her own game right now.

Need to work to make money, to live, eat, and pay bills.

We know that they weren't going to pay her a lot for the project I bet they haven't paid her at all

yet and so she is having to prioritize her other job over this project.

I really hope that some day I can play Bards Tale Remastered but I also understand that we may be waiting a while.
I'm certainly curious what the current status is (its why I popped in). Hopefully it won't be too long into next year before it finally gets released.

Bubbles
Novice

Post by Bubbles » October 25th, 2016, 10:36 am

tarasis wrote:
zenoen wrote:I wouldn't be suprised to find out Rebecca Heinemann is focusing on her own game right now.

Need to work to make money, to live, eat, and pay bills.

We know that they weren't going to pay her a lot for the project I bet they haven't paid her at all

yet and so she is having to prioritize her other job over this project.

I really hope that some day I can play Bards Tale Remastered but I also understand that we may be waiting a while.
I'm certainly curious what the current status is (its why I popped in). Hopefully it won't be too long into next year before it finally gets released.
Interview and summary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQsRuLpnjnQ

As for the Bard's Tale trilogy remaster, Becky doesn't go into the level of technical detail about it that she did in her Matt Chat interview, but she does list three major changes from the original games. First, bug fixes. Second, the ability to actually transport your party between the three games, effectively turning the trilogy into one huge game. Third, the addition of many pieces of "playful" flavor text throughout the game. I hope that's not as silly as it sounds, but it may take a while to find out, because while a beta of the remaster has been available from inXile since March, Becky has apparently not been able to finalize it on account of her not getting paid by them. I had a feeling something like that would happen.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph ... ays.111653

tarasis
Initiate

Post by tarasis » October 25th, 2016, 11:42 am

Not getting paid? Seriously? WTFH.

Thanks for linking to that and providing the summary.

ZZGO
Novice

Post by ZZGO » October 26th, 2016, 1:14 pm

I'll just point out that she didn't actually say that she wasn't getting paid by inXile, and I for one am not jumping to conclusions. I just hope they get it sorted out soon...

...because what else she had to say sounded very exciting to me!

From what I understood, we're looking at a souped-up BT3 engine, with the BT1 and BT2 data converted to run on that engine. This goes a long way towards alleviating the issues I had about possible incompatibilities between the games. I'll still play them in sequence, but from what I gathered it will be possible to transfer a party of Archmages (with the Archmage spells), Chronomancers and Geomancers to Skara Brae. Who knows, perhaps when I've played through all the games I'll go back to Skara Brae and kick Mangar's teeth in with my BT3 party, just for kicks... :)

Well, she said that bugs were fixed, so I assume all known issues mentioned in this thread are (will be) resolved.

Man, I can't wait.

Xiphos
Initiate

Post by Xiphos » October 30th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Can't wait for the next update

clarsen14
Initiate

Post by clarsen14 » November 5th, 2016, 11:57 am

I'm currently playing the remastered versions, and almost finished with BT1.

Granted it's a beta version, I find it being extremely easymode. I remember back in 85 the countless hours and week's spent trying to conquer some of the dungeons. Now it only takes a few minutes. I was sadly disappointed. The nostalgia and feel was just not there.

Some bugs and requests I came across.
1. Get rid of the Automap. Totally ruins the game.
2. Bards Songs, while traveling out of combat, do not work. This was a huge part of the original. Makes bards almost worthless.
3. The incoming damage from breath weapons, etc. Does not register against party. Makes your party pretty much invincible.
4. Never saw a critical hit happen from my chars, except from casters with DEST.
5. Would be nice to visibly change vthe usable and non-usable items icon within inventory. It's very quirky looking.
6. MIBL spell is broken. When it works, it is almost 100% repelled, or crashes the program.
7. When casting against large groups (ie 50+) of enemies, it will only scroll through the first 15-20 to display the damage, then give up scrolling? and assume the rest die.
8.REST spell revives and fully heals Dead chars. I'm not sure if original did this...I don't remember it, otherwise BEDE would be worthless.
9.Incoming Damage does not register against correct char. slots. And breath weapon damage falsely reads your character is Killed, even though the damage amount would not have killed the character.
10. Bring back Wandering Monsters in town and in Dungeons. This is a huge part of why the game is so easy. I remember the days I dreaded hearing my C64 disk drive start spinning knowing something else was attacking me after I just got my ass kicked and walked 4 more steps.
11. Get rid of the save-anywhere feature. Once again, contributes to the easymode of the game. No challenge like it used to be having to brave your way back to the AG to save.

All in all I enjoyed re-living BT1. It's the game that really got me hooked and I hold dear to me as I'm now 44yrs old.

But, I was sadly disappointed that this game was now so stripped down to not being a challenge, and pretty much a cakewalk.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 5th, 2016, 12:41 pm

clarsen14 wrote:1. Get rid of the Automap. Totally ruins the game.
...don't turn it on?
2. Bards Songs, while traveling out of combat, do not work. This was a huge part of the original. Makes bards almost worthless.
3. The incoming damage from breath weapons, etc. Does not register against party. Makes your party pretty much invincible.
Well known bugs.
8.REST spell revives and fully heals Dead chars. I'm not sure if original did this...I don't remember it, otherwise BEDE would be worthless.
I haven't tried out of combat, but I think that's a timing issue, where if a character would die in combat, but REST pops before the turn ends, they're brought back. Not sure though.
10. Bring back Wandering Monsters in town and in Dungeons.
They do only seem to be in buildings in town, but there most certainly are plenty of wandering monsters in dungeons.
11. Get rid of the save-anywhere feature. Once again, contributes to the easymode of the game. No challenge like it used to be having to brave your way back to the AG to save.
Again, don't use it. Hell, I was probably level 8 or 9 before I even realized it was there.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » November 7th, 2016, 7:33 am

I think the "don't use it" sentiment is backwards. It should be "it's there if you want it" :) Ie, is the game too hard in the classic mode? Turn on easy mode - enables automap, reduces wandering encounters, etc - changes that would distance the game from the experience of the classics.

IMO ;)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Flammon
Initiate

Post by Flammon » November 7th, 2016, 9:59 am

The remastered needs its own kickstarter or https://www.fig.co/ for proper funding. I've been playing http://dott.doublefine.com/ and they did a fantastic job. I prefer a nice high quality release over a BT IV last minute free bonus.

tarasis
Initiate

Post by tarasis » November 7th, 2016, 12:37 pm

Flammon wrote:The remastered needs its own kickstarter or https://www.fig.co/ for proper funding. I've been playing http://dott.doublefine.com/ and they did a fantastic job. I prefer a nice high quality release over a BT IV last minute free bonus.
On the one hand that would be cool, on the other don't give Inxile ideas! They've only just finished a crowdfund for Wasteland 3.

As to DOTT it is well done, though iirc most of the work was already completed by Lucasarts Singapore before it got mothballed ... yeah seems there was a prior remastered version, don't know if it any of it was used as the basis for this remaster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_th ... #Remasters

kidnova
Initiate

Post by kidnova » November 10th, 2016, 1:55 pm

So, is this project still alive or is beta 2.0 the best we can expect?

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » November 10th, 2016, 4:59 pm

thebruce wrote:I think the "don't use it" sentiment is backwards. It should be "it's there if you want it" :) Ie, is the game too hard in the classic mode? Turn on easy mode - enables automap, reduces wandering encounters, etc - changes that would distance the game from the experience of the classics.

IMO ;)
Agree completely. Plus, Saving and starting from the guild each session in no way makes the game "harder" or more difficult--just more of a grind and more monotonous ...! At any rate...it's kind of sad that this part of the KS still isn't ready by this time...ah, well, patience is also justified by her children...;)

enderandrew
Scholar

Post by enderandrew » November 23rd, 2016, 2:20 pm

I think options should be optional. People are going to disagree on save anywhere and automap. So let each player experience the game how they want. Dictating one difficulty for all players is antagonistic at best.

enderandrew
Scholar

Post by enderandrew » November 23rd, 2016, 2:46 pm

sear wrote:Bug Reporting
Both we and Olde Skuul would greatly appreciate any bug reports you can provide. You are welcome to post them in this thread as a reply or make a new thread in this forum section.
It appears there are quite a few bug reports but no new releases or updates in the past 8 months. I was about to test this myself but now I'm wondering if I should wait for the next build rather than report bugs that others have already reported.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » December 6th, 2016, 12:34 pm

It would be nice if this much of the original KS could be *finished* before the debut if BTIV, eh? Any comment *cough* from the inxile bullpen?

phantomwhale
Initiate

Post by phantomwhale » January 3rd, 2017, 2:29 pm

Have just checked in and looked around for the remastered version. Looks like it's far from ready currently, and doesn't sound like it's much worked on. This was one of the draw cards from backing BT IV, and I'd hoped leaving it a year or so before checking in would yield something nearly done. Now I'm getting the impression it's not even going to be done :(

Would love some official updates on this issue.

kidnova
Initiate

Post by kidnova » January 19th, 2017, 11:16 am

phantomwhale wrote:Have just checked in and looked around for the remastered version. Looks like it's far from ready currently, and doesn't sound like it's much worked on. This was one of the draw cards from backing BT IV, and I'd hoped leaving it a year or so before checking in would yield something nearly done. Now I'm getting the impression it's not even going to be done :(

Would love some official updates on this issue.
Yes, this was one of the items I was looking most forward to when I backed during the kickstarter. It's a shame that it appears dead.

rmichael
Initiate

Post by rmichael » January 30th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Obviously not "official" updates, but Becky did recently refer to the BT Remastered project on two occasions. This suggests to me that it's ongoing.

Be patient. Software is hard. Free software, even more so. IIRC, she offered to do the BT Remastered, separate from the BTIV Kickstarter; it was added to the KS after her announcement.

Referring to the "Haven" engine for all three games:
https://twitter.com/burgerbecky/status/ ... 9598168065

Referring to the next beta "getting finishing touches":
https://twitter.com/burgerbecky/status/ ... 3255727112

Magican
Initiate

Post by Magican » February 2nd, 2017, 2:12 pm

I actually only backed Bards Tale IV because of the Remastered Bards Tale I+II+III
Maybe Bards Tale IV is going to be great, But I am in for the old ones with the hard to save only one place the atmosphere, the areas and the memories.

I still have my old paper (squired) where I made all the maps and city maps and underground and I needed tape to a new page and the pen could not draw on it. I had notes on small paper (I still got) And this is the only games I still got notes from. The paper is old and fragile but I look forward to take the up from the box and play the games with better graphic and sound and nothing else changed. I never completed any of them but I was close the all most the Bards tale II.

Please use all the time needed, I only wish an good product!!

Kind regards

Magican