The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut Update - October 9

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

phimseto
Adventurer

The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut Update - October 9

Post by phimseto » October 8th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Hi all, we have an update going out tomorrow (Wednesday, October 9th) with the following fixes:

The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut Update – October 9th

Xbox One X Enhancement
  • This update adds dynamic resolution scaling for those playing on Xbox One X, allowing for up to 4K resolutions.
Art
  • Fixed an issue where Priestess Clementia's model would occasionally fail to load.
  • Fixed a graphical issue where the fog on Sinister street would behave inconsistently
  • Fixed an issue where the animals in Baedish Lowlands sometimes appeared to float when standing on ledges
Gameplay
  • Fixed an issue where the user is not given the Wildlands Whistle at the Adventurers’ Guild when Group Chatter was disabled
  • Fixed an issue where NPCs would fail to play their voice lines
  • Fixed an issue where the player could not complete “A Hero’s Rest” quest if Necromancer’s Tome was equipped and not present in the quest inventory
  • Fixed an issue where exiting to desktop would fail to create the appropriate auto-save.
  • Fixed an issue where reloading a save from before the intro cutscene would return the player to the main menu
  • Fixed an issue where players could not interact with objects after defeating Mangar
  • Fixed an issue where the Mangar combat would fail to spawn upon reload
  • Fixed an issue where enemies would improperly respawn on the Isle of Stonsea.
  • Using Wildland Whistle for the first time near fast travel stones will now appropriately bring up the fast travel menu.
  • Fixed an issue where party conversations would play out of order
  • Added Struggler’s Lament use to the puzzle blocking the Reliquary in Midden Maw
  • Fixed an issue in the Attain Tunnel where praying to the Shrine of Noyan gave no experience
  • Fixed a minor issue where players could reach a location in Orkan Rookery without solving the required puzzle
  • Fixed an issue where Fiona's song tutorial would not play.
  • Fixed an issue where the loading screen music could play in-game after the player loaded a level
  • Fixed an issue where the "Forceful Wave" enemy ability would occasionally cause characters to become out of sync with their position on the Combat Grid
  • Fixed an issue where party conversations would play out of order
  • (Mac and Linux) Fixed an issue where story recap videos were not playing
  • (Mac and Linux) Fixed an issue where chests that have been lockpicked would need to be lockpicked again upon reload
  • (Mac and Linux) Fixed an issue where the "apply changes” button would not appear after making changes in the options menu.
  • (Linux) Fixed an issue where the grappling hook shortcut in Orkan Rookery would fail to save it's state upon reload
  • (Xbox) Fixed an issue where NPCs would sometimes fail to load.
  • (PS4) Fixed an issue where players who had visited the Dwarven Ruins early, came back later in the game to find the ruins locked
Hud/UI
  • Fixed an issue where swapping input methods from Mouse and Keyboard to Gamepad would break item interactions.
  • Fixed a timing issue where Inspecting items during the Inventory Tutorial could result in the player being stuck in the Inventory window
  • Updated Luck Stone tutorial to replace the word “Bind” with “Save” across all languages
  • Hitting "Esc" while using the mastery page will no longer transfer one character's skills to another
  • Fixed an issue where, after solving elven weapon puzzles, the player could be blocked from opening "Item Options" in the Inventory
  • (Xbox and PS4) Removed player ability to save during cutscenes
Stability
  • Fixed an issue where manually deleting saves could create a corruption to the player save files in certain instances
  • Previously corrupted saves may be usable again after this update
  • Improvements to game-wide performance, asset loading, stability, and world collision
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when visiting Sulfur Springs for the first time
  • Fixed some isolated and specific combat crashes
  • (Xbox and PS4) Fixed a possible crash when entering Dalgliesh’s House
  • (Xbox) Fixed an issue where the game would be partially unresponsive when resuming play from a suspended state

ZZGO
Scholar

Re: The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut Update - October 9

Post by ZZGO » October 10th, 2019, 5:24 am

This update also solved the problem with backer item redeem codes that were entred after a few quests had already been completed. I could pick up the Red Boots, Fire Horn and Axe of Kael just fine after the update. Thanks inXile!
(In other news, starting a fight froze the game three times in a row now - I've yet to actually use the new items...)

phimseto
Adventurer

Post by phimseto » October 10th, 2019, 7:07 am

ZZGO wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 5:24 am
This update also solved the problem with backer item redeem codes that were entred after a few quests had already been completed. I could pick up the Red Boots, Fire Horn and Axe of Kael just fine after the update. Thanks inXile!
(In other news, starting a fight froze the game three times in a row now - I've yet to actually use the new items...)
Which fight and which party members were you using? Did you have any of the new items equipped?

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » October 10th, 2019, 7:30 am

Thanks InXile! Been enjoying the game so far.

There's an "Update 2" for Linux on GOG at 34.8 GB. GOG seems to screw it up the first time, every time. (Those troubles were GOG's doing, not Inxile's). Have any of you gigabit internet types tried GOG+Update 2+Linux to see if this update is good? I'd rather not spend hours fetching a partial installer again ;)

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » October 11th, 2019, 1:22 am

demeisen wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 7:30 am
Thanks InXile! Been enjoying the game so far.

There's an "Update 2" for Linux on GOG at 34.8 GB. GOG seems to screw it up the first time, every time. (Those troubles were GOG's doing, not Inxile's). Have any of you gigabit internet types tried GOG+Update 2+Linux to see if this update is good? I'd rather not spend hours fetching a partial installer again ;)
I'm at work so I can't fully test it, but I could download the installer and check that it runs, which is the case. So far all the broken installers failed early in the installation process, before spawning the GUI so this ones look good.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » October 11th, 2019, 5:45 am

Current GOG installer is OK.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » October 11th, 2019, 8:11 am

shmerl wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 5:45 am
Current GOG installer is OK.
Thanks!

phimseto
Adventurer

Post by phimseto » October 11th, 2019, 3:36 pm

A quick update: we're pushing a GOG hotfix which should solve the version issue. We're not sure when the offline installers will hit.

IMPORTANT NOTE: People who moved save files to get saves working will need to move them back to the folders that they were previously stored in.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » October 13th, 2019, 6:51 am

phimseto wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 3:36 pm
A quick update: we're pushing a GOG hotfix which should solve the version issue. We're not sure when the offline installers will hit.

IMPORTANT NOTE: People who moved save files to get saves working will need to move them back to the folders that they were previously stored in.
Any news on fixing the crash on AMD Navi? Game is basically still unplayable for me.

ZZGO
Scholar

Post by ZZGO » October 14th, 2019, 9:46 am

phimseto wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 7:07 am
ZZGO wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 5:24 am
Which fight and which party members were you using? Did you have any of the new items equipped?
The party was my starting character (Elf Practicioner), a mercenary Outlander Fighter, a mercenary Trow Rogue, and Crux (who replaced my mercenary bard whom I had origially wanted to take to Kylearan's tower).
The fight was a group of Goblins and a Cultist Sorceror (?) on the eastern road leading to Mangar's Tower.
I believe I hadn't picked up the backer items on the first and maybe second attempt, and I'm fairly sure I had them with me on the third and ever since (after one or two attempts I saved the game between getting the items and starting the fight).

Naturally, after I wrote this the fourth fight worked just fine.

Incidentally, the Scorcherer fight was borked prior to the update and still is: On my low-end machine both the burning sorceror and the enemies around it don't always appear. Most of the time I can only see the burning figure, and when I start talking to it a battle begins with me having First Strike. (I'm not yet powerful enough to beat this fight though.)

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » October 15th, 2019, 3:38 pm

It looks like GOG hasn't posted the hotfix for Linux yet. At least, I only see "Patch 2" there at the moment, which I assume is the pre-hotfix patch.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » October 22nd, 2019, 6:23 pm

Can anyone (InXile maybe?) confirm the 5 digit installer number of the Patch 2 hot fix?

GOG posted the Linux installer when Patch 2 was released, but I never saw it update for the hot fix, leaving me to believe it's still the pre-hotfix version of update 2. The one there now is 33033. I want to get the latest one, but I've been holding off because I don't want to download the pre-fix version.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 23rd, 2019, 12:10 pm

So... I've been getting crashes to desktop, usually after about 90 or so minutes of play (barbarian fight was scary). Just a little windows text box pops up saying a fatal error has occurred and, bloop. Game gone.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

TheQuestionMark
Global Moderator

Post by TheQuestionMark » October 23rd, 2019, 1:04 pm

Hi Drool, please reach out to our dedicated support team to see if they're able to lend a helping hand with this. If you can let them know your system setup/specs and any other details of your game settings that will help. https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 24th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Done.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » November 1st, 2019, 4:42 pm

I hate to keep asking but is "the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_update_2_33033.sh" the hotfix for update 2, or the pre-hotfix?

I'm not sure GOG ever updated the standalone installer, and given the save-game location trouble with the pre-hotfix, I want to get the right version but I suspect that filename is the wrong one. GOG is often painfully slow about updates, but it's been almost four weeks now.

TheQuestionMark
Global Moderator

Post by TheQuestionMark » November 4th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Yes, they should be updated, and Update 2 is the most current version with all fixes applied as they exist.