The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut Update - September 10

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

whippleshuffle
Developer

The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut Update - September 10

Post by whippleshuffle » September 10th, 2019, 10:23 am

This update is live now on Steam and GOG Galaxy, with GOG standalone installers, Microsoft Store, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 updates launching by end of the week. For ongoing tracked issues please refer to the Known Issues list.

Update 9/12 6:10pm PDT - The patch is now live on Xbox One and the Microsoft Store/Xbox app. The update for PlayStation 4 players will be rolling out by tomorrow morning.

Quest & Progression
  • Fixed an issue where the user is not given the Wildland Whistle at the Adventurers’ Guild after disabling Party Chatter
  • Fixed collision around certain puzzles and ledges that were allowing the player to fall out of bounds in certain circumstances
  • Fixed messaging for when the player does not have a lockpick in their inventory they will not be informed about it being required to open locked doors
Graphics/Performance
  • Added various art optimizations, collision, and asset loading improvements
  • Improved performance when player opens and closes inventory windows
  • Grass is now once again growing in the Forest of Inshriach
  • (PC) Improved NPC shadows and fixed High and Ultra shadow settings
  • (PC) Lighting adjusted throughout Skara Brae Above, Skara Brae Below, and The Cellars of Kylearan's Tower
  • (Xbox One and PS4) Improved framerate in various levels
Combat
  • Fixed an issue where rapidly issuing commands may cause one of the spaces on the combat grid to become locked
  • Fix for Forceful Wave attack that may cause the character's position to get out of sync
  • Fixed certain issues where charging specific enemies could result in players getting stuck on the environment or produce a misaligned combat grid
  • Fixed an issue where loading an auto save created before a combat animatic could stop the following combat from occurring
  • Fixed an issue where enemies could fail to launch Mangar’s Mind Jab
  • (Linux) Fixed an issue where enemies in any combat could respawn after reloading the level
Misc.
  • Removed the Save Game option during animatics
  • Fixes and improvements for various party chatter moments
  • Fixed issues where using songs to quickly solve multiple puzzles could cause the puzzles to break
  • Fixed an issue where translation was missing for the 2nd riddle statue in Kylearan's tower
  • Fixed an issue in Mangar’s Tower where subtitles and VO would fail when ghosts were summoned and interacted with for the first time
  • Fixed an issue where music from loading screen would play during gameplay after a load or level transition
  • Fixed various minor audio issues
  • (PC) Fixed an issue where using the 'Esc' key to close the Mastery Book could break its intended functionality
  • (PC Microsoft Store) Fixed issues with signing in and syncing saves
  • (Mac and Linux) Fixed an issue where all load-game story videos were missing
  • (Linux) Fixed an issue where Rabbie's speech did not have voice or subtitles
Crashes
  • Fixed a possible crash during the 99-wave combat
  • Fixed a possible crash when using the Dragon Breath ability

eisberg
Scholar

Re: The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut Update - September 10

Post by eisberg » September 10th, 2019, 10:55 am

I noticed the patch notes state that it is live on GOG Galaxy, but it is not. I have exited out of GOG Galaxy and restarted it just to be sure, and nothing is being downloaded for the update. I even selected "Check for Update" and that didn't work either.

In game it is showing I have version 4.20.1.

Can you guys double check that you actually did everything needed in order to get the update live to GOG Galaxy users?

whippleshuffle
Developer

Post by whippleshuffle » September 10th, 2019, 11:20 am

We're looking into why the update is not available on GOG, and will provide an update as soon as possible.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 10th, 2019, 11:35 am

whippleshuffle wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:20 am
We're looking into why the update is not available on GOG, and will provide an update as soon as possible.
So found out the update is actually available. I did a verify/repair through GOG Galaxy and that re downloaded the whole game and it included the update. But someone else on the GOG forums did something different that worked. He had to deselect auto-updates for the game on GOG Galaxy and then he selected the correct version manually.
he mentions it here in this thread

https://www.gog.com/forum/the_bards_tal ... date/page1

So apparently it is an issue with auto-updates on GOG Galaxy currently. I have GOG Galaxy 2.0, so not sure if that is just a bug with 2.0 or not.

whippleshuffle
Developer

Post by whippleshuffle » September 10th, 2019, 11:58 am

Thanks eisberg! For those using GOG Galaxy, we have reports of success when unchecking "Update to the latest version automatically", which then allows you to manually update to the latest version. Let us know if this works for you!

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 10th, 2019, 12:29 pm

It appears that the "Update 1" standalone installer is live on GOG now for Linux as well.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » September 10th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Yep, the GOG Galaxy update is there--it doesn't have a version # (just says, "Update 1") and I *think* that's why it didn't auto update as it normally would. No harm done as it is there and it was a comfortable 3.9GBs which is a welcome advancement for inXile in its continuing Gog-Galaxy learning odyssey!...;) J/k After the game is patched, the "version" in Galaxy is simply "Update1." Just have to uncheck "Update to the latest version automatically" in the settings and "Update 1" will appear and can be selected and runs and patches the game.

Good job with what I see so far, guys! Thanks for being open and willing to listen and to respond! Makes all the difference!

phimseto
Adventurer

Post by phimseto » September 10th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Thanks, Walt!

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 10th, 2019, 3:13 pm

I'm not using GOG's Galaxy thing, just the raw installer.

I just downloaded Update 1, and it was 6 GB smaller than the size of the prior 32050 version, and will not unzip using either "unzip" or "7z" with the same widely reported symptom as was present for a while in the initial version. It appears to be a truncated file.

Assuming someone else verifies this, it will make 3 bad files out of the first 4 installers GOG posted. It appears GOG has a serious process issue somewhere. Something in their process is truncating installers, and furthermore, they are not making even a token effort to verify that the size of the posted file matches the expected size.

Furthermore^2, they shouldn't be zipping the already compressed data.

Well, thanks to InXile for the patch, anyway. Maybe you guys could grab GOG by the lapel and shake them until they agree to at least a cursory verification of what they post :D.

Edit: installer sizes and sha256 sum:

Code: Select all

35410495528 the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.zip
^ about 6 GB shorter than the prior one
sha256:

Code: Select all

53c0d3fad7974e5e075726393151cea13216cf51cc7709bb829b56f46909404b  the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.zip

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » September 12th, 2019, 6:58 am

There's no reason not to use Galaxy--it's fine, been out of beta for at least a year or two now. I use it to install & update, and I still run all my Gog games (~338, last I checked--whew! Things add up!...;)) from their executables, just as I used to do when I used the manual installer exclusively--running Galaxy to run a game is 100% optional. Many AAA games today require lots and lots of patching--I note that D: OS 2 is *still* being patched...;) So what I do for the Gog manual download installers--the backup copies--is to wait until the devs finish patching the game and then I download the backups and archive them in my system. It works well. OTOH, simply firing up Galaxy once a day for about ten minutes is all that's required to update your games as Galaxy handles it all automatically--never had the Galaxy updater/installer botch a game yet, I'm glad to say. It really is a decent system, imo, that, unlike Steam, actually gives you an installable copy of every game you buy. Gog doesn't believe in punishing paying customers by anticipating them as software pirates, etc.

But Gog has been known in the past to expose manual-download files prematurely at times. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. The giveaway that something isn't right is that, as in this case, there's a zip file (their installers are never compressed with a zip file extension), or the numbering sequence appears weird or botched. I've seen that twice in the last several years. Someone just inadvertently exposed something in progress, imo. It's still annoying enough when it happens that you remember it...;)

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » September 12th, 2019, 7:13 am

waltc wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 6:58 am
There's no reason not to use Galaxy
There are several ones, like Galaxy not being available for Linux, which is a blocker for all Linux users.

But we have lgogdownloader, which basically does what Galaxy seems to be doing for you (fire it, it'll download all the installers that have been updated), with the great advantages of being Free Software (so you can add your own features, like I did when I submitted a patch a few years ago to allow more control over which languages are downloaded), and text-mode only (so I can easily ssh on my home server/gateway and run it just before leaving work, and have all my games installers downloaded and up-to-date when I'm back home, available via NFS on both my desktop and laptop).

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » September 12th, 2019, 7:24 am

I contacted GOG support about broken Linux installer for the update. Apparently they didn't even know it's broken... Or at least the person who replied wasn't aware. I submitted all the details, but it's very unprofessional for them at this point to do that. Not only it's broken for the third time, it shows they still aren't even testing their own installers. And if so, it would be a lot better for everyone for developers to simply provide tarablls to GOG to be used as is, and take broken GOG packaging out of the equation altogether.

My message to support (answering their request for details on what's broken, which itself quite surprised me):
unzip fails altogether

unzip the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.zip
Archive: the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.zip
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.zip or
the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.zip.zip, and cannot find the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.zip.ZIP, period.

7z decompresses .sh file with errors:

7z x the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.zip

7-Zip [64] 16.02 : Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Igor Pavlov : 2016-05-21
p7zip Version 16.02 (locale=en_US.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,24 CPUs AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor (870F10),ASM,AES-NI)

Scanning the drive for archives:
1 file, 35410495528 bytes (33 GiB)

Extracting archive: the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.zip

ERRORS:
Unexpected end of archive

--
Path = the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.zip
Type = zip
ERRORS:
Unexpected end of archive
Physical Size = 37417792860

ERROR: Data Error : the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.sh

Sub items Errors: 1

Archives with Errors: 1

Open Errors: 1

Sub items Errors: 1

Running the decompressed .sh file produces such errors (and it fails to install anything naturally):

./the_bard_s_tale_iv_director_s_cut_4_20_1_153615_32362.sh
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut (GOG.com) 100%
Collecting info for this system...
Operating system: linux
CPU Arch: x86_64
trying mojosetup in bin/linux/x86_64
USING en_US

PANIC
Initial setup failed. Cannot continue.

Error: Couldn't run mojosetup

Conclusion:

1. First of all, the provided zip file is corrupted and unusable. It's likely simply truncated from the intended one.

2. Secondly, there is no need to create such zip file to begin with, why not ship the .sh one itself like for all other games? It's already compressed.

3. Looks like there was no QA done, and your packaging team didn't even test the result, since it's trivial to determine that it's broken by simply trying to decompress and run the installer.
@phimseto: Can you please follow up on this with GOG?

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » September 12th, 2019, 7:58 am

cc @whippleshuffle ^.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 12th, 2019, 9:12 am

but it's very unprofessional for them at this point to do that. Not only it's broken for the third time, it shows they still aren't even testing their own installers.
Agreed. They wouldn't even need a manual testing process. More or less any conceivable automated sanity test, however trivial, would have discovered all three bad uploads so far.

Then there's the question of whether they're going to actually fix whatever is truncating the files, or whether we're going to have to go through this for every patch InXile ever releases for BT4.

phimseto
Adventurer

Post by phimseto » September 12th, 2019, 10:57 am

I'll drop them a note.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 12th, 2019, 11:53 am

phimseto wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 10:57 am
I'll drop them a note.
Much appreciated, Phimseto. It's unfortunate because it really shouldn't be InXile's problem to spend time dealing with, but it seems that GOG isn't dealing with it on their own.

EDIT: GOG has now broken the installer into 9 parts and has them as separate downloads. I just fetched them and successfully installed and ran the Sep 10th update.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » September 23rd, 2019, 2:33 pm

kilobug wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 7:13 am
waltc wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 6:58 am
There's no reason not to use Galaxy
There are several ones, like Galaxy not being available for Linux, which is a blocker for all Linux users.

But we have lgogdownloader, which basically does what Galaxy seems to be doing for you (fire it, it'll download all the installers that have been updated), with the great advantages of being Free Software (so you can add your own features, like I did when I submitted a patch a few years ago to allow more control over which languages are downloaded), and text-mode only (so I can easily ssh on my home server/gateway and run it just before leaving work, and have all my games installers downloaded and up-to-date when I'm back home, available via NFS on both my desktop and laptop).
Well, I wasn't really speaking of folks who can't use Galaxy because they want to run a Linux distro and don't care to dual boot...but your point is taken. Yes, since there's no Linux version of Galaxy people who use Linux [and can't/won't dual boot w/Windows] cannot use Galaxy. It's heartening to hear you have found an alternative! Glad to hear it works for you.