Skill tree path "lock-outs" are easy to miss

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Vernholio
Initiate

Skill tree path "lock-outs" are easy to miss

Post by Vernholio » February 24th, 2019, 11:08 am

A little frustrated here... Some skill trees initially give you no indication or warning that "going one way locks out the other." With my Practitioner, I've added "Battle Mage" in the Meditation tree, and after leveling up, I wanted to also add "Harmonic Shielding." BUT... I just now realized it's locked out. I can apparently only go one direction in the tree. Other skills' trees let you select multiple paths, and after researching this and looking at the UI in-depth, the only noticeable difference I can find is the "lock-out" trees' paths are dotted lines. That's pretty weak, and easy to miss. This isn't explained anywhere--in the PDF manual, or by Googling (which, I shouldn't have to do). So, it's easy to make a mistake. How about a tooltip? How about graying-out one skill when you mouse-over the skill in the opposite direction? Heck, how about adding this as a blurb of text in a skill tree it affects? You don't actually know it's locked out until you select it. This is exacerbated by the fact that, once you level up past two, you can't "undo" a skill you select. Whose genius idea was that? I screwed up and picked the wrong skill at level up... Now I have to reload my game? Yeah, yeah, yeah... I can pay at the Adv. Guild to respec, but c'mon... I have to pay 'cause I made a mistake? Maybe staying a little TOO true to the original trilogy here.

I'm enjoying the game... I'm just not enjoying the lack of information for it. (Don't get me started on the whole 'Practitioner starts with O spell points" thing... I spent an hour researching this last night before I found a definitive answer.)

numberouane
Initiate

Re: Skill tree path "lock-outs" are easy to miss

Post by numberouane » February 28th, 2019, 2:21 am

Well well
As you can see there are solid lines and doted lines between skills and on mouse over you can see what remains available or not...
You always have the token option to redispatch your points the way you wish

svdp
Acolyte

Post by svdp » March 1st, 2019, 2:04 pm

I find it funny you claim it stayed too close to the original BT's, while just ending a debate with others who claim it's nothing alike (at least, not similar enough to be considered a sequel). ;-)

As one can see - and as I said - it's all in the eye of the beholder.

That said, it's not that I think the game is perfect, and I can see where you're coming from; it being "greyed-out" in front, would have been a good indicator, indeed. But as the poster before me said, there ARE ways to see it.

Anyhow, it's much improved now that you actually CAN respec. The problem ain't as pressing anymore. Imagine how it was before one could respec a character. ;-)

And ah, paying for it... let me assure you; soon you'll have so much money you won't know what to do with it anymore. That's actually another drawback in the game - one which hopefully will be better addressed in the Directors' cut update. But for now; I was actually glad I could use my money for something useful.

Seen your comment about having to pay for it, I'm guessing you're still below level 10. Believe me; it will soon matter no more if you have to pay 100 or even 500 gold.

My advice would be, if you're not keen on restarting the game, to continue as you are, and once you get rich enough, respec the whole character, if you wish. Seems the most straightforward.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 1st, 2019, 2:15 pm

svdp wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 2:04 pm
I find it funny you claim it stayed too close to the original BT's, while just ending a debate with others who claim it's nothing alike (at least, not similar enough to be considered a sequel). ;-)

I wish it was closer to 'Eye of the Beholder. :(

svdp
Acolyte

Post by svdp » March 1st, 2019, 2:31 pm

Gizmo wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 2:15 pm
svdp wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 2:04 pm

I wish it was closer to 'Eye of the Beholder. :(
Hehe. Well, ok, that was a good/funny one. :-)

Never finished that one, though. Come to think of it... I never finished Pool of Radiance neither; got stuck in the opening.