I'm one of the 2 people who genuinely love this game

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Staehrminator
Acolyte

I'm one of the 2 people who genuinely love this game

Post by Staehrminator » December 14th, 2018, 12:21 pm

The other being my roommate.

Seriously, I don't understand why the game gets so much flak. It has a Metroidvania-style dungeon design, which I've always liked, and what I perceive to be a huge world with many different locations. It has riddles and quests that make me *think*, and secret stuff that tickles my exploration bone. It has a combat system that's simple enough to be instantly gratifying yet deep enough that I can spend hours theorycrafting party builds. It has downright fantastic music and atmosphere, and is still lighthearted, relaxing and fun. It's the best game I've played all year.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: I'm one of the 2 people who genuinely love this game

Post by Gizmo » December 14th, 2018, 2:40 pm

The reason is simple. For a loose parallel...Imagine if the next Elder Scrolls game was the best RTS that you've ever seen or played—nothing technically wrong with it, no bugs; wonderfully polished work, and with good writing.... but not an open world, and it used fixed characters with charged abilities. A mechanically sound and well devised game.

Could it be fun? Yes
Would there be people who liked it? Probably so
Would it offer the gameplay that the series' reputation and expectation demand? Of course not.

BT4 does not offer the gameplay that the series' reputation and expectation demand... It offers a blend of unrelated game elements that are wrapped up in a very loose and skewed interpretation of... well... not even that; it kept a few of the names used in the series; often not with the same meaning or definition.

Alas... the above statement equally applies to the crap-fest that Bethesda did to the Fallout IP. :(

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » December 15th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Most people who wonder why it's not doing so well often cite aspects of the game that are good - and get very little debate - because on its own merit, sure it's a great game (ymmv, but generally the sentiment is yes). But it got bit by the fact that it's a sequel, and many don't feel that it fit that bill. So, generally speaking, it's not that any of those things people like about the game are disputed, but rather "it's not Bard's Tale", as oft sung.

Could it have done better were it billed as a spin off or its own IP? I'm guessing probably yes.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye » December 16th, 2018, 12:41 am

I agree with @Gizmo and @thebruce above, it is, at a minimum, a decent game on it's own (I still have issues with a few design decisions but hey, I sunk 150 hours into it, so it can't be all bad :) ).

Problem is, it was advertised and kickstarted as a Bard's Tale game, a sequel to the original trilogy, no less and in that aspect it most definitly crashed and burned - HARD.

In contrast, I'm currently playing Pathfinder Kingmaker and the Baldur's Gate vibe this game radiates is _insane_!
Of course I belive in peace - peace through superior firepower

Staehrminator
Acolyte

Post by Staehrminator » December 16th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Ah. That makes sense then. No idea what the originals were like, I tried the ones that came with the 2004 Bard's Tale, but couldn't figure out how to play them. Not sure if they were even working correctly, I may have had some compatibility issues.

I do agree that it could have skipped the "IV" part of the title and gone with Barrow's Deep. Maybe with a rebranding and some more advertising it wouldn't have flown so low under the radar. Still, enjoying it immensely for what it is.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » December 16th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Staehrminator wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 2:16 pm
Ah. That makes sense then. No idea what the originals were like, I tried the ones that came with the 2004 Bard's Tale, but couldn't figure out how to play them.
I couldn't get them to play reliably—and they were why I bought BT 2004.

But we are in luck... If you would like to know what they are like, there is a gloriously reverse-engineered & remastered version; recreated in the Unity3D engine, by Krome Studios.

Seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78wpEFQwEk8

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 16th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Gizmo wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 2:46 pm
I couldn't get them to play reliably—and they were why I bought BT 2004.
Really? Once I muddled through the awkward emulated disk drive nonsense, I found them pretty solid and stable.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » December 18th, 2018, 6:19 am

Staehrminator wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 2:16 pm
Ah. That makes sense then. No idea what the originals were like, I tried the ones that came with the 2004 Bard's Tale, but couldn't figure out how to play them.
Yeah, precisely. That's the context I read in most of the positive reviews of BT4 (I say most - some people are professing fans of the trilogy AND love BT4 - that is of course entirely valid). But most people who love BT4 also reveal some level of ignorance (speaking literally, not derogitory) to the original trilogy. ie, they've come to BT4 with fresh eyes and have enjoyed it having no idea what the trilogy was like. Many (don't know if it's most) negative reviews are from people who make some connection to it not being as faithful to the trilogy as they'd hoped or expected, which can certainly colour their entire review (as in, even though some aspect of the game could be fun, because it's played through tinted lenses it's not considered fun in their review).

It was a big risk having it claim the title of sequel #4 given how significant the gap was between BT3 and 4. And one the problems which I think was a BIG issue was the oft-repeated claim that they were making a sequel as if it were a few generations down the road. In other words, they assumed that a number of changes to the BT formula were successful over those (non-existent) iterations, so that this sequel was built upon "successful evolution" over multiple generations. But there were no intermediary releases. There were no sequels that showed that decisions they made for #4 would have been successul if implemented in those middle non-existent games. So it ended up being a huge risk with a number of significant changes relative to the last successful release of a Bard's Tale series game.

And that is the big catalyst for much of the negative reactions to the game. Not that those changes or game concepts themselves are bad, but the relative gap between 3 and 4 is enough to sway a whole lot of opinions.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » January 8th, 2019, 12:00 pm

So I haven't touched the game. Haven't even downloaded it. Haven't read anything about it. My old video cards are dying so I've been off PC gaming for awhile, but I'm getting a new gpu in tomorrow and I'm thinking of starting to play this. Is it worth playing? Is the game fun for what it is?

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 8th, 2019, 12:09 pm

I can't say... I played it for about 20 minutes, and had to leave the house on some errands; figuring that I'd resume when I got back... and simply haven't yet. No concerted dislike for it... it just didn't pull me back like Disciples, Quake, or Grimrock did. Image

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » January 8th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Actually when's the free dlc or whatever suppose to release? I might just wait until then.