Krome Studios, our only hope for a "true" BT game?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

eisberg
Scholar

Re: Krome Studios, our only hope for a "true" BT game?

Post by eisberg » November 1st, 2018, 12:17 am

Lanatir wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 12:09 am
The fact that you dont even know how to spell Baldurs Gate tells me a lot.

And there is one thing you are right about: The BT 1-3 Game mechanic were archaic. So, They could have been improved.
But not turned into a puzzle based action adventure with trading card combat and light rpg elements.
What does it tell you? That I don't know how to spell that name? Cause that is all that it is going to tell you.

And I disagree. What they did is so much improvement over the originals, making it for an excellent RPG with interesting puzzles and combat that is a whole lot of fun and interesting.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » November 1st, 2018, 2:42 am

eisberg wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 12:17 am
Lanatir wrote:

And there is one thing you are right about: The BT 1-3 Game mechanic were archaic. So, They could have been improved.
But not turned into a puzzle based action adventure with trading card combat and light rpg elements.
What does it tell you? That I don't know how to spell that name? Cause that is all that it is going to tell you.

And I disagree. What they did is so much improvement over the originals, making it for an excellent RPG with interesting puzzles and combat that is a whole lot of fun and interesting.
Apparently there is not too many people who agree with you that its 'fun and interesting'. Otherwise there would actually be people playing it. Which there arent.

This game has less players than most visual novels or idle clickers. The amount of people who globally play this game fit into a big appartment.
Its great that you are still supporting this thing. But face it, you and that cowboy dude that only stays here so he can keep insulting people are literally the only ones here.

current average of players: 224.

224. Yeah. Excellent rpg. In about 3 months the amount of people that play this game will be on par with the amount of people who still play Grimoire, a game that is on the same quality level as BT 2004 2.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » November 1st, 2018, 6:18 am

Lanatir wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 2:42 am
eisberg wrote:
Lanatir wrote:

Apparently there is not too many people who agree with you that its 'fun and interesting'. Otherwise there would actually be people playing it. Which there arent.

This game has less players than most visual novels or idle clickers. The amount of people who globally play this game fit into a big appartment.
Its great that you are still supporting this thing. But face it, you and that cowboy dude that only stays here so he can keep insulting people are literally the only ones here.

224. Yeah. Excellent rpg. In about 3 months the amount of people that play this game will be on par with the amount of people who still play Grimoire, a game that is on the same quality level as BT 2004 2.
Again, releasing in the performance/bug state it did has huge impact on keeping players around.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » November 1st, 2018, 6:45 am

eisberg wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 6:18 am
Lanatir wrote:
eisberg wrote:

Again, releasing in the performance/bug state it did has huge impact on keeping players around.
Again- Pathfinder Kingmaker. Still bugged. and unplayable. 100 times more players than BT 2004 2

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » November 1st, 2018, 7:34 am

Lanatir wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 6:45 am
eisberg wrote:
Lanatir wrote:

Again- Pathfinder Kingmaker. Still bugged. and unplayable. 100 times more players than BT 2004 2
Pathfinder wasn't nearly as bad as BT4 was in performance and bugs. And pathfinder is playable, and has been since like thier first hotfix that happened on like day 1. But it was still buggy, not as much as Bards Tale 4, which is why it dropped to like 20% of thier highest peak numbers.

And yes it makes sense that pathfinder has more players than the Bards Tale that released in 2004.

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » November 1st, 2018, 9:39 am

eisberg wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 7:34 am
Lanatir wrote:
eisberg wrote:

Pathfinder wasn't nearly as bad as BT4 was in performance and bugs. And pathfinder is playable, and has been since like thier first hotfix that happened on like day 1. But it was still buggy, not as much as Bards Tale 4, which is why it dropped to like 20% of thier highest peak numbers.

And yes it makes sense that pathfinder has more players than the Bards Tale that released in 2004.
you missed the "2" after "the bards tale 2004". I'm failry sure it was a dig at the barrows deep game while comparing it to the overwhelming success (please do note sarcasm) that the 2004 game was thought to be.

Or to spell it out: barrows deep is "bards tale 2004 2"

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 1st, 2018, 11:02 am

Awww, I liked BT2004.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » November 1st, 2018, 11:17 am

Strictly speaking, as a standalone game, it was fun. :)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » November 2nd, 2018, 10:07 am

Someone in this thread reminds me of the Iraqi Information Minister "Baghdad Bob". Not saying who.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » November 2nd, 2018, 3:13 pm

Drool wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 11:02 am
Awww, I liked BT2004.
I'd play it if I could, but it only runs on 32-bit. :(

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 2nd, 2018, 7:30 pm

Works fine on my computer.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » November 3rd, 2018, 9:38 am

Gizmo wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 3:13 pm
Drool wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 11:02 am
Awww, I liked BT2004.
I'd play it if I could, but it only runs on 32-bit. :(
I notice that the 2017 remaster of BT2004 states 64-bit OS's no longer crash on startup... free upgrade on steam.

Runs fine for me on Win7-64bit.
Last edited by Dork Mage on November 4th, 2018, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » November 3rd, 2018, 10:47 am

I'll have to update then. :)
eisberg wrote:
What they did is so much improvement over the originals, making it for an excellent RPG with interesting puzzles and combat that is a whole lot of fun and interesting.
"Over the originals", and not "of the originals"... that's what is very telling indeed. ;)

One could easily say that LA:Noire in a great improvement over Police Quest —or even Fallout, but it's not of them in the least; and so doesn't really count, regardless of merit.

Applicator
Initiate

Post by Applicator » December 9th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Lanatir wrote:

If you're going to be picky it's actually Baldur's Gate

Applicator
Initiate

Post by Applicator » December 9th, 2018, 2:57 pm

eisberg wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 7:34 am
Lanatir wrote:
eisberg wrote:

I had 3 bugs total in BTIV, each one cost me about 2mins in loading a previous save. Game was great.

Pathfinder is a more similar game to the old BG games and therefore more accessible to the masses. BTIV tried a few new things which I enjoyed as a change. Less players doesn't mean BTIV is a worse game.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » December 11th, 2018, 11:54 am

Applicator wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 2:57 pm
Pathfinder is a more similar game to the old BG games and therefore more accessible to the masses.
I am not so sure about that. If it really is effectively a BG3 (this sold me on it btw; I will buy it when I get the chance)... then the masses are probably at a loss for how to play it. BG1&2 came with a hefty manual, and a necessary minimum understanding of the D&D rules to do other than Click-n-Slash... if even that is still intuitive these days. :(
BTIV tried a few new things which I enjoyed as a change. Less players doesn't mean BTIV is a worse game.
That about sums up what was wrong with it. There is a time and place for completely new games... and it is —anywhere but in a numbered sequel.