Novellas

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

demilich
Initiate

Novellas

Post by demilich » October 22nd, 2018, 12:49 pm

Hi

Is it possible to read synopsis of the 6 novellas that were out with BTIV somewhere?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Novellas

Post by thebruce » October 22nd, 2018, 1:10 pm

Not until someone writes them :)
Can't seem to find any synopses anywhere other than Jason Denzel's own written for The Song Thief
One day, Fiona the bard can’t remember a song. This is unusual, since it is her job to remember songs. Wha’s even more unusual is that no one else can remember the song either. It seems to have vanished from the collective unconscious of the entire Baedish lowlands.

When another song disappears from her memory, and another, Fiona and her unlikely companion Soriac (a trow who fancies himself a wizard) begin to suspect foul play. Their search for the song thief takes them across the lowlands, into hostile cities, through foreboding dungeons. Only by confronting her deeply held prejudices can she reclaim the songs that were taken from her past and from her people.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 22nd, 2018, 2:13 pm

The Song Thief is, far and away, the best of the lot.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 22nd, 2018, 2:21 pm

I like Jason's earlier blog post about when RPGs had teeth :) Probably a good reason why The Song Thief is best of the bunch. He probably gets the story and concept; more dear to him overall...
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 22nd, 2018, 3:59 pm

It also had the least faffing about with Fatherites.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » October 23rd, 2018, 2:26 am

thebruce wrote:
October 22nd, 2018, 2:21 pm
I like Jason's earlier blog post about when RPGs had teeth :) Probably a good reason why The Song Thief is best of the bunch. He probably gets the story and concept; more dear to him overall...
Yeah, very much so. It's sad that outside of Roguelikes and maybe the odd ARPG like Dark Souls, the idea of risk and reward is virtually gone from modern gaming. There are about 10 memories in my early gaming life that will live with me and BT1 has two of those - the first time I found the 4 x 99 Berzerker encounter and a time I escaped from the depths of the Catacombs with bags full of treasure but one party member left alive and about 4HP left. The latter of those would certainly not exist if BT hadn't enforced an element of risk.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » October 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am

thebruce wrote:
October 22nd, 2018, 1:10 pm
Jason Denzel
Hadn't paid much attention to the novellas yet (I'd rather play the game first), but that name rings a bell. And indeed, it's the guy behind dragonmount.com, and author of the Mystic trilogy, which I look forward to read one day. Only holding back, because if WoT has taught me one lesson, it is to not start any fantasy series before the last volume is out.

So great inXile got somebody like him as a writer!

tomimt
Acolyte

Post by tomimt » November 5th, 2018, 3:03 am

I did a write up on the novellas based on the first three games: https://playernone.blogspot.com/2018/10 ... ellas.html

None of them is that good, mostly because they are clearly bogged down by an attempt of trying to make a coherent story of games that don't have that much story in them and are mostly just killing a tonne of monsters and solving a couple of puzzles. There's some attempt in them but as a whole they art quite skippable.

I started reading the novellas based on BTIV, but haven't yet gotten past the Paladin, which I thought was pretty mediocre.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 5th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Seems to largely mirror my thoughts. Most of the Fatherite stuff was way too heavy handed. Like I said, out of the six, the Song Thief is about the only one worth reading.
Alwa nasci korliri das.