Let's collect some issues which should be addressed in a patch

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Ricks
Initiate

Let's collect some issues which should be addressed in a patch

Post by Ricks » October 17th, 2018, 10:51 am

I thought about collecting some issues which should be addressed in a patch. Anyone may agree, disagree, or add additional things. But at least it has to be mentioned, so there is no excuse that "no one told them" :idea:

- Respec characters: please let us respec our characters. Simple solution: let it cost a MercToken to fully respec a character. And please let us also respec the premade characters. So we feel more comfortable with them and might keep them for the whole game (which would be nice, so we could experience party banter which is restricted to premade characters only).

- Faster walkspeed: Walking around feels like a snail. Please either enhance walkspeed or implement Walk- and Runmode.

- Clarify from which stats Mental- and True Damage depend: People have found out that Mental damage can be increased by increasing INT - but this applies only for Practitioners, and not for Fighters, Rogues. For Fighters and Rogues increasing INT does nothing, and only increasing STR increases Mental damage. This is incosistent and confusing. And it's mentioned nowhere. Same issue for True damage. This must be explained somewhere (preferably in the game, or at least in the manual).

- Inventory sorting: While I had no major issues with the default unordered inventory (because I always emptied my whole inventory quickly), dragging&dropping every single item over various inventory pages, and ordering them manually is a bit tedious.

- Faster combat: Combat seems often to lag when switchting from enemy turn to party turn and reverse. Something is slow there. It even seems to lag within your own party. It doesn't feel as snappy as the promised "attack effects are decoupled from input". Again something is slow here. Maybe it's necessary to reduce animation time and effect time to make it snappier. I don't know.

- Shut up some singing NPCs: I have read complaints about singing NPCs already in the Steam forums and these reminded me, that it annoyed me as well. I recall 2 locations where I really got annoyed by the singing characters: first is in Skara Brae where I repeatedly heard some male voices singing a song. Listening to this 10 times in a row was a torture. Second place was in the Adventurers Guild when Rabbi repeated that Bard song endlessly, while I was creating new characters and sell items. The singing became unbearable after a while.

- Save Anywhere instead of SaveTotems: it's really annoying to redo whole sections again (fights and riddles), when you die. And this Soft-Save on exit is not helping at all. Suggestion is to add a Save-Option in the game menu (which should be available anywhere except maybe during fights), and then either convert all the SaveTotems in the game to "Consumable Totems" or remove them completely.

- Reduce riddles: the amount of riddles every couple of meters is criticised a lot. Not only because they are repetitive, sometimes senseless, but also because they artificially stretch the game length. So in order to fix this, it may be considered to reduce the amount of riddles by half or remove some of them completely. This is a major procedure, but maybe necessary. Eventually this would solve 2 problems: first it reduces the many riddle annoyances, and second it reduces the game length. Also the game would be better balanced in terms of "exploring and combat" than "riddling".

If the last 2 points sound too much, inXile should consider what the target audience really is... oldschool or mainstream gamers? My guess is more mainstream, because we all know where the money is, and various existing design decisions can be interpreted as such. But does inXile really think the current implementation makes mainstreamers happy?? Heck, not even oldschoolers are happy.

- About that patch with Gridmode and the so called "A-Team": It is highly doubtful, that people care about some premade A-Team. They rather want (and have repeated again and again) to build their own A-Team from scratch and from the beginning.

Depili
Scholar

Re: Let's collect some issues which should be addressed in a patch

Post by Depili » October 17th, 2018, 1:54 pm

There is already a option to run, and about half of your list is what made the game great for me :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Acolyte

Post by Hieronymous Alloy » October 17th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Wait, what is the rule for mental damage and Int? Now I'm even MORE confused, I thought I had that figured out.

Respec is why I stopped playing and what I'm waiting on to finish out the game.

The spare cog puzzle bugs and the baedish skill point bugs also really need fixing.

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » October 17th, 2018, 2:45 pm

the 'fixed genders' for some of the races really make it seem like the game never was completed before released.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 18th, 2018, 6:16 am

Thanks for the feedback! Inventory sorting is coming in a future update. Can't comment on some of the other details, but we're certainly taking the input from players into account.

Loswaith
Novice

Post by Loswaith » October 18th, 2018, 9:44 pm

The respec could be nice using the merc tokens, since you can essentially use a token to make the exact same character (without the dialogue for the premade characters), it is essentially there anyway. Just have it only able to be done at the adventurers guild as well.

The walk speed could just be reversed, having 'run' be the default and walking be a toggle (that doesnt reset if you stop moving). Though simply having a persistent toggle could fix that.

Skill damage would be nice to know what it does, even if its just a bracketed item after damage. Something like "skill will do 15 physical damage (str)" would help a fair bit (and work for colour blind folk). Colour coding the damage number could also work (but could have colour blind issues), ala Red damage number tied to Strength and Blue damage numbers tied to to Intelligence.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 19th, 2018, 8:04 am

The walk speed could just be reversed, having 'run' be the default and walking be a toggle (that doesnt reset if you stop moving). Though simply having a persistent toggle could fix that.
This makes most sense to me. Basically, is there more reason to walk most of the time than run? Presumably precision movement is necessary in some places, but not everywhere. There's no stamina that's depleated by running. Running should be default. (or faster walking, with 'crawl' oir 'sneak' being the slower option :P)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Shaz
Initiate

Post by Shaz » October 20th, 2018, 11:49 am

Respec
Oh yes please please oh yes please! Whether it require mercenary tokens, be freely given at specific levels (e.g.: the option to respec every 3 levels, or the granting of one possible respec you can use any time after level 5), or be possible at any time in a specific location, anything, so long as it's possible, even if it's highly restricted.

Clarification of Mental/True stats
Yes please, I could find no clear information on that in-game when I searched.

Inventory sorting
If I'm looting a Dandelion Seed, and I keep them on, say, page 4 of my inventory, I have to manually move them from where the game put them (the first available empty slot) to the page where I keep them myself. Whyyyyy? I'm constantly having to fix my inventory due to this.

Combat lag
So the enemy has used their skills. And so we wait. And wait. And wait. And then suddenly, yay it's my turn! ....what was going on there? Why the lag?

Those are the ones from the OP I would like to see addressed. I would also like to add

Fix Baed passives
If you want to make a Baed mercenary you'd better make them early, because if you make them once you're higher level, you'll miss out on their passive granting free skills at certain levels. This has got to be a bug.