Suggestions: balance issues

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Odsh
Initiate

Suggestions: balance issues

Post by Odsh » October 7th, 2018, 5:00 am

I just finished the game on hard mode and would like to point out two balance issues and suggestions to correct them.
  1. Elven weapons that generate two static charges on non-offensive actions and cause a global stun effect at 10 charges can be used to perma-stun the whole enemy team with the right setup. This is not too hard to achieve with the red shoes for example, which basically give two non-offensive actions for free per turn. And if you manage to find and equip two of those weapons on the same character, the charges are generated twice as fast, which makes it even easier. Suggestion: remove the stacking charge-generation effect of two weapons, raise the cap for global stun and increase it even more after each use during the same combat.
  2. The rogue ability which lets the team start a combat cloaked is too strong. Even if ambushed, you can still meditate for several rounds while remaining cloaked, initiate the fight with full mana and obliterate the enemy with your spells, especially once you get access to the archmage spells. Throw in a bard for good measure to reset ability cooldowns and cast two mangar's mallets or death touches in a row per archmage. Apart from the rare cases where you have to fight waves of enemies, this trivializes any fight. Suggestion: that ability either cancels out an enemy ambush or, if you have first strike, confers a cloak that lasts for maximum 1 turn. Any action, offensive or defensive (like meditating), breaks the cloak. This would basically allow a character to remain untouchable during the enemy's first round, if that character didn't take any action.

Applicator
Initiate

Re: Suggestions: balance issues

Post by Applicator » October 8th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Conjuration is also extremely OP especially with two practitioners using it (or more)

Nystrom
Acolyte

Post by Nystrom » October 10th, 2018, 11:48 am

Am I the only one that is finding fighters to be somewhat useless so far?

granted, I am not super far in, my characters are all level 11-12 now...but so far pretty much every fighter skill I have is inferior. Taunt has niche usefulness.

Jalis
Acolyte

Post by Jalis » October 10th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Fighters aren't useless per say, but aren't damage dealers really, either, in the "min/max" scheme of things. Use them to help position enemies for max Conjurer's Mark explosion AoE with taunt almost every fight, as well as soak up any incoming damage with their tanky hit point pools, etc. Not totally unlike a lot of MMO "trinity" except here I think there's a definitive "best" strategy involving your practioners/conjurors/archmages/etc.

Nystrom
Acolyte

Post by Nystrom » October 10th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Jalis wrote: ↑
October 10th, 2018, 12:01 pm
Fighters aren't useless per say, but aren't damage dealers really, either, in the "min/max" scheme of things. Use them to help position enemies for max Conjurer's Mark explosion AoE with taunt almost every fight, as well as soak up any incoming damage with their tanky hit point pools, etc. Not totally unlike a lot of MMO "trinity" except here I think there's a definitive "best" strategy involving your practioners/conjurors/archmages/etc.
Yeah, the problem can be with limited move sets you have to ask yourslef how useful using one or two of your 4 move points just to make this happen.
I dunno, maybe it will help more later, but right now stacking DPS seems to be the best course for the vast majority of fights.

Jalis
Acolyte

Post by Jalis » October 10th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Most fights, my opportunity points are an afterthought compared to spell points and renewing them in the same round through vampirism or procs that give Arcane Barrage a recovered spell point.

Applicator
Initiate

Post by Applicator » October 10th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Nystrom wrote: ↑
October 10th, 2018, 11:48 am
Am I the only one that is finding fighters to be somewhat useless so far?

granted, I am not super far in, my characters are all level 11-12 now...but so far pretty much every fighter skill I have is inferior. Taunt has niche usefulness.
Fighters aren't too bad. The spear you get from the sentry tower adds 20str and hits like a truck. You can spec to use it in one hand. You can also use your execute ability to kill any mob with <65 HP or so. Still not too strong vs practitioners.