Ok, seriously. Too many riddles.

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Lanatir
Explorer

Ok, seriously. Too many riddles.

Post by Lanatir » September 23rd, 2018, 11:20 am

Please. The original games maybe had 10 riddles alltogether. I do understand that you feel the need to show off how great your freeform movement works, but seriously, IF you do so many riddles, dont do the same 4 over and over and over and over again, and not so many. You really cant go 5 Steps in any given direction without having to solve some form of riddle, its especially bad in the forest. It is just too much.

Ranlothir
Initiate

Re: Ok, seriously. Too many riddles.

Post by Ranlothir » September 23rd, 2018, 11:45 am

I think the game devs did a great job with the variety of puzzle types and complexity. I have really enjoyed that part of the game, but to each their own.

Nyast
Initiate

Post by Nyast » September 23rd, 2018, 12:03 pm

The forest is particularly bad. Considering the previous map ( the one with the sentry tower and scottish look ) had the same wisp-golf puzzles. Yeah, they completely abused of that one.

nwreed
Initiate

Post by nwreed » September 24th, 2018, 9:06 am

I couldn't agree more. I very nearly quit the game during the best of us quest just because of the sheer number of puzzles. Every new room I was praying for something, anything, to fight just to break of the monotony of puzzle after puzzle.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 24th, 2018, 10:34 am

Hey guys, just a tip - if you are the kinda player who isn't as much a fan of the puzzles, we included a Digital Guidebook with all versions of the game that walks you through the game's puzzles. You can find it inside the Extras folder in your game install directory.

Jalis
Acolyte

Post by Jalis » September 24th, 2018, 1:28 pm

They are so far manageable puzzles that are mostly fun. However, some of it is immersion breaking. Out in Baed Lowlands or wherever all the fairy golf stuff is, I kept wondering to myself after like the 4th set.... "who exactly set all this up repeatedly? This is gaming for the sake of gaming, with no logical, immersive reasoning, unlike Kylarean's Tower, which was clearly a case of a scholar/wizard simply antagonizing his student/pupil..."

Wouldn't be the first game to do that, but something to keep in mind for Bard's Tale V, DLC, etc. Some form of reasoning, and sometimes, less = more, don't go back to the well too many times, etc!

Marxorz
Novice

Post by Marxorz » September 24th, 2018, 11:57 pm

I'd say the game is 50% riddle puzzle. I'm enjoying it. If you're not into such things, you probably won't.

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » September 25th, 2018, 4:44 am

Marxorz wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 11:57 pm
I'd say the game is 50% riddle puzzle. I'm enjoying it. If you're not into such things, you probably won't.
50% is also a really steep deviation from the previous series.

Lord Azlan
Initiate

Post by Lord Azlan » September 25th, 2018, 6:05 am

Agreed there are too many puzzles and blocks - the game is getting a bit too close to Legend of Grimrock 2 in that regards.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » September 26th, 2018, 12:53 am

Yeah, while puzzles were present in BT1-3 and innovative for the time, they were never the core game. This is another thing that the design team have utterly failed to understand. Puzzles in the original games mostly acted as an encouragement to explore, map and document each level of a dungeon. I can't think of many (any?) examples where the puzzles to combat ratio was high.

I question whether any of the core design team were ever massive fans of BT, Wizardry or similar games. Their thirst to remove any resemblance of those games from BT4 seemed boundless. Hell, this last week we even saw the release of a Japanese manga-styled crawler that is closer to what I'd expected from a BT sequel.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Marxorz
Novice

Post by Marxorz » September 26th, 2018, 7:56 am

Spectralshade wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 4:44 am
Marxorz wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 11:57 pm
50% is also a really steep deviation from the previous series.
True, but the original games were 80% XP grinding, and I really wouldn't have wanted that either. I mean... I played through the remastered BT1 from start to finish, but couldn't have done so without the big XP boost they added. It was more just for the nostalgia and the fact that I never finished the game back in the 80s. (I didn't figure out how to get into Harklyn's Castle back then)

I agree that this wasn't marketed as primarily a puzzle game and it should have been.

tomimt
Acolyte

Post by tomimt » September 26th, 2018, 10:06 am

I'm personally enjoying the puzzle nature of the BTIV. Even with the XP boost, I've not been able to bring myself play through the remastered BT1 as that one is just too combat-centric and most of those battles aren't even very challenging.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 26th, 2018, 10:33 am

Another example of it being a different style of game ;P
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

OddeyeDL
Initiate

Post by OddeyeDL » December 11th, 2018, 5:23 pm

thebruce wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 10:33 am
Another example of it being a different style of game ;P
Yet another example of how the devs betrayed fans by making a game no one asked for. Coh Carnage reviewed the game a made great emphasis on the fact that there are ALOT of puzzles. I stopped playing after this. I agree that puzzle games are not for everyone and thats fycking why i dont buy puzzle games, and THAT is fycking why the devs betrayed the fans, they made a puzzle game with some fighting in it. I will never buy another bards tale ever from this company.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » December 11th, 2018, 8:18 pm

My point was that yes, your example showed why BT4 was a different style of game from its namesake.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0